1972 Tele with a black guard???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sixstringer, Nov 2, 2012.

1. sixstringer

sixstringer TDPRI Member

Greetings,
    Today I received a 1972 Tele, thick poly finish, 6 saddle bridge, heavy, and so on...Looks like on of CBS's finest! BUT, it's got a black pickguard and black pickguard screws. I've never see an early '70s Tele like this and I could find no info in my books or on the web to indicate that Fender made a black guard Tele in the early 1970's. The pickguard looks old, does anyone know if it might be original?
    Thanks

2. bangkok

bangkok TDPRI Member

A 72 Tele should have a white guard and at that time they were still fairly light.

3. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Def all white guards in that era & not a 6 saddle bridge.

4. sixstringer

sixstringer TDPRI Member

The serial number and headstock decal look correct. The 6 saddle bridge also looks correct
    (per page 70 of Dochossoir"s Tele book). Only the pickguard appears to be changed.
    Thanks for your responses.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

A previous owner likely modded it somewhere down the line with the black pickguard and the 6-saddle bridge. Neither mod would be increadibly uncommon for a 70s-era Strat. Perhaps the previous owner wanted it to look more like the Tele Custom of the day which did have a black/white/black pickguard several years before the "regular" Tele got that cosmetic look.

I didn't get into playing until the end of the 70s; for those around back then was the 6-saddle bridge a factory option on either the "regular" Tele or the Tele Custom, or was it just a popular replacement part?

6. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

7. blue metalflake

Whats shown there is the late '70s six saddle bridge, but not fitted to '72 Tele. It would have had the grooved saddle as standard. Many 6 saddles were fitted mid / late '70s as an upgrade. This a '73 bridge but identical to the '72.

Attached Files:

• t4.jpg
      t4.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The '72 Tele Thinline had a 6 saddle bridge.

9. sixstringer

sixstringer TDPRI Member

The six saddle bridge on the guitar matches perfectly with the photo captioned 1970's six-way bridge on page 70 of A.R.Duchossoir's The Fender Telecaster book.

10. blue metalflake

Have a look a few pages back - theres quite a section on saddles.

11. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

My recollection from being around in the 70's and 80's was the six saddle bridge was fitted standard on Tele Customs starting in late 75. My original 67_____ serial number Custom has one as OEM, and it still has the neck plate serial number. I believe they were also generally available from then on out as aftermarket. Regular 70's teles were always three saddle. Then when Fender came out with the 52 reissue in 82, they included the six saddle bridge in the case as an extra. Not many people used them on the 52 RI, but a lot of 70's teles got retrofitted with those extra bridges from 82 on out. A black pickguard is defintely not original for 72. I think those started sometime in the late 70's.

12. blue metalflake

+1 That lines up with my thinking.

13. sixstringer

sixstringer TDPRI Member

The neck date is Nov 1971, the serial number is 1972. Everything looks original except the pickguard.

14. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sixstringer

I ordered a brand new Tele in 72 (the shop didn't have one) and I specified I would like a black pickguard....The Tele arrived with a black pickguard (3 ply) and the white pickguard was in the case...
    Bill Hullett

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.