1972 Neck Headstock Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by CWP0126, Aug 19, 2019.

1. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Hi everyone,

I bought a ‘72 neck off eBay last January that had the headstock covered with a rosewood/striped looking finish for some reason. I asked the seller if he thought it was a veneer or paint, and he said he thought it was painted on.

I figured it was there to try to hide something but bought it anyway.

I hoped it was just paint, but using acetone only removed the logo and didn’t even make the finish stcky at all.

I tried using some light grit sandpaper and it didn’t do anything but remove the gloss.

Today I got serious about it and went to town with some 60 grit. It took quite awhile to get down to the maple, big time PITA.

Here is a pic of what it looked liked before I started to mess with it. Apparently I never took a pic of it when I bought it as I usually do. I got this pic from eBay, but it’s weird that they show some pics from past purchases but not all.

90E77DBC-B7CD-4645-9D47-81BB5223739C.png

I know this pic sucks, but it’s the best I have. Just imagine that whole striped looking motif on the entire headstock, not on the sides, with a replacement Fender logo.

Here are a few more pics with the date stamp and a name, which to me makes it look like a real ‘72

F0107BB9-B2F7-45EA-A705-4DE27300EC7C.png

94D2CDEC-67B6-461B-88A0-90DBFDE1A73F.png

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

So I sanded the headstock today with 60 grit, and got down to the real maple. Here’s what I have

5FAF150B-0D12-4087-A707-31B7A50A206F.jpeg

Slim Chance likes this.
  3. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I found the reason that it was painted/covered over, but I’m not sure why. The only things I can think of is maybe someone took the original logo off the Tele headstock and had it inlaid (why?) or it’s not not a real ‘72 Tele neck at all and has bogus stamps.

The stamps look legit to me, as do the router holes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Anyway, my question is what would you do in this situation?

I don’t want to sand it anymore, because I think that grey/black crap is bondo or something, and I don’t know how deep it is.

I’ve seen a lot of Teles that have that orangeish look on the headstock, and I’m wondering if I could paint that area orange like that, and then match the rest with a tinted amber. I was happy as all get out to see the walnut plug once I sanded that spot!

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Are there two string tree holes on the headstock? I can see one, but I cant the other one.. so far all of the 72 I saw have two string trees.. not sure if thats indicator of a real 72 neck.. I could be wrong..

also whats does "KRAUSEELOT" on the neck means?

CWP0126 likes this.
  6. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

Not sure if it's legit, but it looks like a nice neck. If sanding can't remove that mark, I would just leave it as is. Orange paint on the headstock would probably turn out hideous, IMO. It doesn't look too ugly right now, though. Maybe scraping it or removing that layer of wood would work?

CWP0126 likes this.
  7. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

That's a legit CBS Fender neck IMO. The 2nd string appeared sometime in the early 70's IIRC.
    No telling what the motive was for modifying it from stock... folks do a lot weird things to guitars. Were it mine and I dug the profile, I'd look at getting it pro-refin'd. Either that or do it on the cheap, spray some lacquer on it, slap a sticker over the dark bit and get on with it.

CWP0126 likes this.
  8. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Just leave it, I reckon. If the rest is good, perhaps get a replacement period neck.

I can’t think of anything that won’t look like a modern version of the last fix to some extent.

CWP0126 likes this.
  9. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

What is a replacement period neck?

CWP0126 likes this.
  10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

A replacement neck for a replacement neck? Novel concept.

CWP0126 likes this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Hah! I misread the OP and thought it belonged to the guitar.

Then perhaps a maple veneer.

aerhed, Artslap, bender66 and 3 others like this.
  12. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I believe the 2nd tree string appeared in sometime 1972 and some have one and some have two. This one does only have one hole, but August does seem kind of late in the year for one string tree.

I think it’s “Krausfeldt”. That is one of the names that appears on early ‘70s necks.

Here are threads with other Krausfeldt necks:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-employee-names-rubber-stamped-on-neck-body.71740/#post-763106

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/newbie-wondering-what-he-has.190246/#post-2192394

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/neck-stamp-names-late-60s-early-70s.280994/#post-3408580

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

+1
    If it is done well with a good matching maple veneer, it could turn out almost invisible.

Fretting out, cjp60, Nickfl and 5 others like this.
  14. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Yeah I don’t have much faith in the “trying to hide it with paint and then blending amber clear coat around it” idea, lol. Thought I’d throw it out there though, thanks!

I don’t know how deep it goes, whatever happened someone thought the best way to fix it was to fill it and then cover it over. I think they used some kind of thin overlay because when I sanded it those dark lines went all of way down to the maple, which really surprised me.

15. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I thought about a maple veneer, as I think what I removed was a veneer. Where would I go about finding something like that?

It’s a shame though because the natural maple is really pretty.

This is just a partscaster so it’s not really that big of a deal. Maybe I’ll just paint it black or something, but it kinda sucks because the body is natural.

Also I found a pic of the neck before I sanded it.

00A80FFC-83B4-428A-A2E1-F09CAE9690FB.jpeg

A7D314AA-A7B8-408C-8DAA-C9B6196732FA.jpeg

16. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I just did a quick Google search for “Fender employee Krausfeldt” and found this:

Supervisor/Various Manufacturing Departments
    Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
    October 1964 – February 1975 10 years 5 months
    Fullerton, CA

Rotation through each of the various manufacturing process departments for Fender Stringed Instruments, Fender Amplifiers, Roger's Drums, and Fender/Rhodes Pianos. Began in the "Hand-Sanding" department, personally shaping guitar necks and bodies, then progressing into supervisory positions throughout the company, with final responsibility as Quality Control Assistant Manager

It sounds like by 1972 he was a supervisor for Fender, so apparently that is a supervisor’s inspection stamp. Look at the time period he was with Fender! I bet he could answer a lot of questions that pop up here regarding the CBS transition years!

2 Headed Goat and dreamingtele like this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A maple veneer could match your headstock/neck easily & look just as nice.

Looks like they put that zebra patch on to cover the inlay route attempt? I'd have just sanded that silly thing off & left the fretboard alone but hindsight & whatnot...

CWP0126 likes this.
  18. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Thanks @bender66. I think the maple veneer is the way to go. I found some really thin stuff online that is bendable so I can make the transition up to the nut. Only problem is the walnut plug would be buried under the veneer again.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I am afraid I cannot help you on sourcing the wood, I have never bought wood and I am in France anyway.
    It can be a fun DIY project, but I would personally leave it to a pro luthier if I wanted the restoration to be the least visible. He would obviously take care of sourcing the right piece of maple.

That is funny because I was thinking about suggesting to paint the headstock instead. It would sure not be legit for a natural Fender body, but it could look good nonetheless. Think Ronin Miraris for instance: many were natural body / solid black headstock.

The second option would sure be easier and cheaper too, but I do not think a pro would charge you so much more for the maple veneer option: with the right tools and a solid experience it shall be pretty easy and not too much time consuming I guess.

CWP0126 likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

You could paint over that inlay to blend it in. I've done it repairing crushed bodies on hollow guitars. Paint a base color lightly with a small (3/8") artists soft brush. For maple it would be gold/cream. Lightly sand or steel wool to blend in the periphery. Then a small or even tiny toothpick size artists brush you use brown paint to put on wood vein or ripples. It's a process but can be changed if you dont like the latest layer you put on. I did a '59 vintage guitar that way , when done you couldn't even tell. it was caved in, I pulled the pieces together, superglued them, filled with epoxy and sanded flush, then colored. Last couple of coats were nitro over the coloring.
    For maple I might try a gold cover first, sand so there is a little bleed through. Then an amber creamy color, sand semi opaque again. Repeat until it looks right. Then add the veins.

By the time you do that and get the logo and string tree back on you'll never see it.

chomps, Wildcard_35 and CWP0126 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.