1971 Rosewood Tele: Any recs for routing repairs? (ideally SoCal/AZ)

capitalbear

Tele-Meister
Here is a closeup of the breadboarded circuit inside. It uses three transistors: AA 5087, and 2n5210 (x2). So it would seem that whatever the perpetrator didn't know about woodcraft, he was pretty good at circuits!

View attachment 935158 View attachment 935157
I prefer to call that that a hack job, "good at circuits" looks different to me. But it matches the rest of the woodwork.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Tell your brother I'll give him a hundred bucks, as is.

(See if he doesn't mind picking up the shipping costs.)

Thanks!

😀

Knave101

TDPRI Member
I have heard from Asken and Oldschoolguitar. I'm considering the options. I've seen the work from twoodfrd as well.

I'm also considering taking a swipe at it (eeeks!) But stuff has come up at this time with family and work, so I've moved it to back burner for a bit. I'll let you know what happens. I don't think it is worth 10k.. maybe 5?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
My opinion, for what it’s worth: nothing you’re thinking of doing will increase the value of the guitar. So, you’re going to do it for appearance only and everything will be covered by pick guard, so leave it alone!

Exactly.

knavel

Tele-Holic
I bet that guitar sounds awesome as is. That era Gibson HB is a great pickup.
I so much prefer a neck humbucker to the normal pickup. The guitar sounded very different to me than a regular telecaster, more bluesy like a Gibson.

Knave101

TDPRI Member
Well the guitar is currently being repaired in England at GuitarAngel. I've decided to clean the horrible drill job on the body...in order to fit a block of rosewood into it without spaces. Then, re-route the hole to fit the 72 "Gibson" labeled humbucker. I figure that since the damage is already done, and is undoable....might as well put the humbucker in, but cleanly. Also, going to close the hole on the top, and overall just clean it up. Refinish the top and that's it.

I'll put up photos of the progress as Angela sends them to me.

Knave101

TDPRI Member
Can anyone help me identify the bridge, with the 6 individual saddles, that is on the guitar in the initial photos. It is likely a 72' bridge as well, but it has no markings. I see bridges for sale like it now, but can't figure who made this one.

slack

Friend of Leo's
Can anyone help me identify the bridge, with the 6 individual saddles, that is on the guitar in the initial photos. It is likely a 72' bridge as well, but it has no markings. I see bridges for sale like it now, but can't figure who made this one.

Other than the non-ashtray bridges seen on 70s Tele Thinlines and Deluxes, with steel Pat. Pend. or pot metal saddles, there were not Fender Tele 6-saddle bridges before 1975, and they were ashtray style. They were optional accessory parts, but came standard on some but not all Customs. They were stamped "FENDER."

I have no idea what the bridge is in your pics, but it's not original to the guitar. I doubt it's a Fender part because of the two mounting screws on the front (pickup side edge).

Bartimaeus

TDPRI Member
i'm in the "keep it as is" camp. restoring it would probably get you some extra money in a sale to a collector. but it's a piece of history, with a record associated with it to boot! if you really want to sell it, i'd keep it as is and sell it with that association, that could be a lot more valuable to the right buyer.

i definitely can't afford it either way, but with infinite money i'd buy this guitar with all its quirks before i'd buy a mint condition '71 rosewood tele. i'd trust a gigging musician's reasons for these mods. and the extra route probably helps with the weight haha!

Knave101

TDPRI Member
I am sure the bridge is not original to the guitar. There is a similar new one for sale online for about $14...the "Metallor"....but I assume, it's made in East Asia. Also, I cannot find any modern bridge with those 'cast screw channel routes'. But if this original bridge has some vintage value, maybe made in the USA, it would be nice to know.

For those in the "keep it as it is".....too late, it's no longer as it is...it's now 'how it's going to be from here on out'! How many of us have dreamed of finding a pickup for the tele neck position, that sounded like a gibson humbucker, but fit in a tele pickup route! Well for me, the solution was easy....somebody else already took away my choice. Thus, I'm left with simply cleaning up the job!
IMG_9525 (1).jpg
IMG_9527 (1).jpg
IMG_9526 (1).jpg
IMG_9529 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That bridge looks a lot like what Schecter was selling as aftermarket "hop-up" hardware in the 80s and 90s. They used a similar bridge on some of their Pete Townshend signature (PT) models.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Mine's an 87/88, original but for addition of Barden pickups. Personally, I thought this one looked really cool - I would have taken it as it was in a heartbeat! They're supposed to be working tools after all, rather than ornaments. Still, I hope you get it back the way you want it.

Knave101

TDPRI Member
Progress so far. On the cavity, now there is a shelf to set the replacement piece of Rosewood. The pickup hole will be filled and then the proper HB route made. Then repair the finish....

Attachments

• DF8C0D60-358A-45AF-A0BD-118EFCE0FACF.jpeg
    DF8C0D60-358A-45AF-A0BD-118EFCE0FACF.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 7AA5BCD9-7B35-4541-B048-6B1071B83AE2.jpeg
    7AA5BCD9-7B35-4541-B048-6B1071B83AE2.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited: