1971 blonde telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 97boxster, Sep 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 97boxster

97boxster NEW MEMBER!

Does anyone know the 1971 tele tuner post wood hole size? tuners have the big F on them with just a ferrule on the string side of the post ( no nut ). Just re-strung it and want to delay taking a tuner off to measure.

any high ratio tuners that can be directly replaced without any modifications? keeping the originals of course.

2. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

I am also interested in the same replacement tuners for my 67 Tele. DSCN3024.JPG DSCN3042.JPG

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Do you already have the guitar in question in-hand? If so, a screwdriver and a ruler will give you the most sure answer you're going to get :D

4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

Thanks, I will contact Stewmac to confirm that the bushings do not alter the original hole.

6. 97boxster

97boxster NEW MEMBER!

I looked at those stewmac tuners ( look correct ) but 10mm pegholes required - thus my question.

7. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

Stewmac was not much help. Said I needed to take mine apart and measure it. You would think that a long as they have been in business, they would know but, they still make and sell the best stuff.

8. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

mmmmmmmm.....I find your postings interesting....

1. are the 71 series original turners problematic or not to your liking?
    2. Stewmac would not provide a bum comment
    3. could it be that you have expected them to make a house call to measure/check something so simple that you have or are not capable of?

These are 50 years old and never loose tone/tension ..[well just a bit] .even after 1050 km flights between Sydney to Adelaide and back .......

[Don't ask about Top # E that's another story]

P1190769.JPG

P1190770.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Your 71 has 8mm bushings, DIRECT replacement tuners of ANY kind do NOT exist for it.

I've been there,done that, got the "no replacement tuners for the horrible F tuners exist" t-shirt (this is my 72 in the photo and yes it has horrible tuners but still the do tune the guitar)

[​IMG]

Wally likes this.
  10. gbart14

gbart14 TDPRI Member

Great useful feedback, Nick. Thanks for that. Do you or anyone else know if the tuning post might fit the original bushing? In my comments about StewMac, because IMHO they are the best source for parts and information, I would think they would have that same interchange info available from whoever they buy from. I would also think that someone out there would make a direct replacement but maybe the market is just not big enough. My original tuners on my 67 are the F type and one is slightly bent and very stiff. The others are warn enough to be sloppy. They do stay in tune but I question how much longer they will stay useful. Thanks, all.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The F tuning machines are my least favorite vintage Fender tuners. That said, I would never use any replacement tuner in that ‘67 if it required enlarging the holes or creating new holes on the back side unless other aspects were non-original. It sounds as if you may have an all-original guitar and you are not wanting to modify it in any way.
    StewMac, with whom I have done business since 1991, is a reseller, fwiw. It is a good resale-priced source, and sometimes is the most accessible source for certain items.

12. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Just to confirm I have these on my MIM '72 Reissue Thinline and they are a drop in replacement, although I did have to slightly carefully "clean out" the holes for the bushings with a hand drill. They feel so much nicer than the F type Reissues they replaced but no, they won't fit a vintage Fender without proper drilling :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.