1969 Silverface Princeton (New Speaker)?

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Hey all, sorry to necro-thread but I've got a Princeton Amp, looks like 1969 or 1970 from the serial stamp, pretty much identical to the OP. Had it probably for maybe 20 years and always loved the sound, it lives in the studio, but got curious about upgrading. It's got an E-M10G in it right now, would the Weber 10F150T be a noticeable upgrade or just a different flavor? I'm in the throes of a speaker and tube swap addiction for a couple other amps right now, figured I'd see if I can improve on perfection here. Any updated recommendations since 2012? View attachment 977749 View attachment 977750 View attachment 977751

I too have a SF "Princeton Amp" (non-reverb), and am very satisfied with the Weber 10F150T. Because this amp has so much less gain (and overall volume) than the reverb version, it really needs an efficient speaker.

Almost anything from the Eminence Patriot line will also be a great choice. I tried a Lil Buddy which also sounded great, but sounded even better in my Pro Junior.

Last edited:

telel6s

Tele-Afflicted
My '71 Princeton NR speaker history over the past 17 years that I've owned it:
(1) Original Fender blue label Utah -- sounded tired when I got the amp. It's stored away for safe keeping.
(2) Weber Blue Pup alnico -- good sound but wasn't loud enough for even small gigs I was doing at the time with a drummer but no mics on the amps
(3) Carvin V10 - a Celestion-style ceramic speaker. Sort of neutral sounding in this amp but louder than the Blue Pup so it helped the amp be a bit more gig-ready.
(4) Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" - I got a new baffle from Mojo Tone. This speaker, to me, sounds great at any volume. Nice sounds at low bedroom levels but also no problem running things dimed plus a boost pedal. I can't imagine I'll ever change the speaker again in this amp.

Speakers 2, 3 and 4 were all things that I had originally for other amps/cabs before trying in the Princeton.

Princeton Speaker History.jpg

Gnometowner

Tele-Meister
Tonequest Report article on all things Silverface Princeton Reverb

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Hey all, sorry to necro-thread but I've got a Princeton Amp, looks like 1969 or 1970 from the serial stamp, pretty much identical to the OP. Had it probably for maybe 20 years and always loved the sound, it lives in the studio, but got curious about upgrading. It's got an E-M10G in it right now, would the Weber 10F150T be a noticeable upgrade or just a different flavor? I'm in the throes of a speaker and tube swap addiction for a couple other amps right now, figured I'd see if I can improve on perfection here. Any updated recommendations since 2012? View attachment 977749 View attachment 977750 View attachment 977751
I like many Emi speakers, but I can tell you, I have never heard anything better than the Weber 10F150T (50 watt) in a Princeton.
The downside is it will be a louder amp.

bkbirge

TDPRI Member
I like many Emi speakers, but I can tell you, I have never heard anything better than the Weber 10F150T (50 watt) in a Princeton.
The downside is it will be a louder amp.
I had found a deal on a 25 watt version, figured I'd like that better than the 50w as I'm ok with a little earlier breakup. So far I like it. It's different, not necessarily better, than what I had in there. Very dynamic, less compressed sounding than the Eminence was. Peaks poke out clearly when going straight in. Every once in awhile I get a bassy note that jumps out which is kind of weird, maybe just not broken in yet or more likely just my amateurish playing, but otherwise it's really nice. Actually seems maybe slightly quieter than what I had before? Hard to tell as memory a little unreliable, couldn't listen side by side. I have the Eminence up on Reverb but I'm thinking I may get a 1x10 extension cab and put it in there for a different flavor when I want that ultra clean at loud sound.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a non-reverb Princeton with a Ragin Cajun in it. I like it a lot. Very efficient speaker and sounds good to me. Sounds like a 12 in that amp. One other thing, and not to sidetrack things, but one of the things that helped this amp really come alive was using a Tech 21 Boost RVB into it. Just a little 'verb to give it some air and turning the boost up gooses the pre-amp and makes it sound bigger, if that makes sense.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
I had found a deal on a 25 watt version, figured I'd like that better than the 50w as I'm ok with a little earlier breakup. So far I like it. It's different, not necessarily better, than what I had in there. Very dynamic, less compressed sounding than the Eminence was. Peaks poke out clearly when going straight in. Every once in awhile I get a bassy note that jumps out which is kind of weird, maybe just not broken in yet or more likely just my amateurish playing, but otherwise it's really nice. Actually seems maybe slightly quieter than what I had before? Hard to tell as memory a little unreliable, couldn't listen side by side. I have the Eminence up on Reverb but I'm thinking I may get a 1x10 extension cab and put it in there for a different flavor when I want that ultra clean at loud sound.

Give the Weber some time. The low frequencies will fill out a bit as it loosens up, the speaker will seem louder and you'll likely notice you'll be turning the "bass" control down a bit over time. Mine is the 25W version and while I've tried a few other speakers, I keep coming back to it because it's by far the best combination of tone and gig worthy volume I've found. Like I said in a previous post, the NR Princeton kinda needs all the help it can get in terms of sensitivity, because unless you're slamming it with a lot of boost, these amps don't get as loud as the reverb versions.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The 25 watt is a bit less bottom end and a bit more bright, but yeah, nice speaker.

bkbirge

TDPRI Member
I have a non-reverb Princeton with a Ragin Cajun in it. I like it a lot. Very efficient speaker and sounds good to me. Sounds like a 12 in that amp. One other thing, and not to sidetrack things, but one of the things that helped this amp really come alive was using a Tech 21 Boost RVB into it. Just a little 'verb to give it some air and turning the boost up gooses the pre-amp and makes it sound bigger, if that makes sense.
So many choices! The old Eminence I had in it seems to be similar to the Copperhead and it was good, no real complaints, just wanted to try something different. I often use a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer on the input for the compression and boost, seems to work well there. I've also got a Rangemaster clone that gets a lot of use.