1969 neck stamp mystery...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spiderbaby, Feb 11, 2011.

1. spiderbaby

spiderbaby NEW MEMBER!

Hello out there in virtual Tele world! I'm hoping some of you well informed Tele heads might be able to help solve this mystery for me! I've owed my blond 69 tele w\bigsby for about 18 years, and never had reason to take off the neck. When making some setup adjustments today out of curiosity I whipped it off and was very surprised with what I found. I had been expecting the usual 1969 stamp but instead found this: 3 459 119B (at the butt end) and on the neck plate side of the neck is stamped G529 The Neck plate serial no itself appears correct and the headstock serial no... but I'm beginning to wish I'd never taken the neck off. Ignorance is bliss and all that! Any ideas???

Attached Files:

2. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

I don't know how to crack the 69 code, but after about January of 69, Fender went with the type of stamp and code (usually green ink) shown on yours, instead of the obvious "Oct 68 B" type of stamp. Looks all right to me. I'm betting your pickguard is pearl on the back side and there is no diagonal wiring route.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Those '62 - '73 neck codes can be a puzzle!

The initial "3" means it's a Tele neck, and the final "B" means it has a standard 1.625" nut width. I don't know what the rest means but I'd say it's legit too.

The 256xxx neck plate number is consistent with early-ish (May) of 1969.

Fender's numbering got a bit "experimental" as CBS took over. Search around the forum for neck codes. I'm pretty sure some of the true experts have discussed this.

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Headstock serial number on a '69? You sure about that?

Your neck date is November 1969.

The 459 is probably a batch or lot number.

The above information is from the Vintage Guitar Guy's website.

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting that the neck code indicates late in '69 while the neck plate indicates early in '69!

But, Fender ordered serial number plates in large batches, which may explain it.

Pull the control plate and check the pot codes.

6. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

Hey Spider, I believe the number on the headstock is a pat. number not a S/N.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

The explanation I've seen is the month and year are next to the letter at the end and in your case you have "119B" which means November 1969. This neck stamp was used starting late 1969 and into the 70's in most cases.

8. silentactors

silentactors Tele-Meister

3 = model code (Telecaster) (maybe supposed to be 13?)
    459 = run number (?)
    11 = month (November)
    9 = year code (1969)
    B = nut width

I wouldnt be worried - all looks legit - and a killer guitar!

9. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great looking late '60s Tele.

10. spiderbaby

spiderbaby NEW MEMBER!

Thank you all for your time and infinite knowledge (re: Telecasters at least!) I've spent a very happy 18 yrs with my Tele and never had any reason to suspect that I didn't know everything there was to know about her. Obviously my world was turned up-side down when I discovered that she may be harboring a dark secret! (lying about her age dammit!) I almost feel guilty I doubted her... This is my first forum - bloody brilliant!

11. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Some strange numbers in that era, but as several have said that seems to be Nov 69 OK.

12. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

Check this '69 out

Here's the neck butt of my '69 Tele. They really were experimenting with the stamps those days ;-)

Attached Files:

13. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

For what it's worth, my April '69 has the "usual" neck stamp (not the numbered one like yours) and a serial number of 244XXX. I know the serial numbers were inconsistent and not consecutive, but 244XXX April and 255486 November seems logical.

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey TDPRI Member

I'm working on dating my '68 (hopefully).

SN 226284 and the neck stamp is "3 08 014 B". Doesn't get much weirder than that. Anyone seen something like this?

15. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Jeffrey--That's probably a 69. Lot's had that type of date codes. I've never seen a 68 dated that way. Neck plate serial numbers are at best a broad date range guess. Does it have a skunk stripe? If so, it's not a 68. Poly finish on the neck and a skunk stripe, definitely not a 68.

16. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

Those late 60s'/early 70s' neck stamps can be strange. I have an early 70s', (no neck pickup wiring slot), Tele and the neck stamps make no sense at all.

17. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

All that I can tell you for sure, is that the info in this thread is incorrect. In that the last digit being used to represent the year doesn't hold up when you survey a lot of these stamps. Every time someone posts a breakdown for these 1969 and 1970 codes, I could show pics of lots of necks from the same years and with the same type code where their breakdown doesn't make work.

However, that four digit stamp on the base of the neck in the first post does date that neck to 69 (or at least to being stamped in 69).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  18. Jeffrey

Jeffrey TDPRI Member

And, I've gotten as many reports that the skunk stripes appeared in '68 as well as '69 as not. The one thing I'm learning is that there is not one truth! Or maybe none!

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

geez ..the fretboard is thin... did they spray the rosewood on in those days?.. ha ha ..

quite a different appeal that thicker capped ones...

more of a veneer than a slab,eh...

20. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 68 that I bought new, the pots and neck are dated 1966.

Inventory management - before the advanced computer systems we have now.

Bulk purchasing, fabrication & stamping of various parts going into inventory appears to be common.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.