1969 GMC Pickup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 22, 2020.

1. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

About 18 years ago there were too many cars around here and I sold a solid ‘65 Mustang Fastback in favor of my ‘89 Jeep Cherokee, mainly because the Cherokee was newer and had air conditioning. Now the Mustang would be worth over $25,000 and the Cherokee? Long gone to a blown engine and collapsed headliner. Barely worth scrap metal value.

personally I would not buy a Durango. My brother went through two, and another nephew is still Suffering with his. Can barely keep it on the road.

edit:
    Haha. Yeah meth head is a good description of a Durango.

2. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

That 51 year old could be like some of the old guys I know...

about ready to fall apart and on it's last legs.

3. chet again

Yeah, but I might be able to get it running and sell it for more than I bought it for. They're thinking of just junking it.

What did you sell the '65 Mustang for and are you out of your mind? :eek:

4. wblynch

Sold it too low. $9,000 within 10 minutes of pulling into the Pomona Classic Car Swap. Yes I was out of my mind. I cry often and kick myself when not crying, thinking about it. It was a great car, fun to drive.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

I was looking at a '67 Impala and took it for a test drive. No power steering or brakes. I hadn't driven anything like that in years. Not for everyone.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

All I can say is that I drive one (1969 C10 CST, 396, longbed, PS, AC). Here she is:

Beauty shot.jpg Cab interior Drivers side.jpg IMG_4320.jpg

7. wblynch

Very nice

8. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

'67 Chevy with some body issues versus a Durango with tranny issues?

Give me the '67 every day. Yes body work can be expensive but as has been said LMI has everything and I mean everything for those trucks that you can order straight out of a catalog. If you decided to drop 10K into that truck you probably could get close to what you have in it out of it as they are becoming more and more collectible. And if you do decide to put some money into it have someone do the work and cut that frame down and make it a short bed and you can get another $5K more for it being the short bed model.

Looking at that picture of the engine bay brought back memories of my old '73 (it had the 350) where you could climb into the engine bay and work on that bad boy. Also keep in mind that the parts on the Durango probably will run you double what the parts on these old Chevy's will.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars-for-sale/1967-chevrolet-c_k_truck-for-sale

lots listed in DFW and they start at 12K and go up, up, up.

Rowdyman and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You live in Omaha & you are asking if you should spend $3500 on a rust bucket. I know about rust. I grew up where I-80 crosses the Mississippi, and did YCC at DeSoto Refuge in 1979. It was midwest rusted cars & weather extremes that drove me away. It sounds like another man's wife-nagged project. IMO, I would just keep looking.

10. mrbdxmpl

mrbdxmpl Tele-Holic

That sounds like a punchline waiting for a joke!

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh damn that thing is beautiful!
    Well worth the price IMO, being it's a "custom" with chrome instead of painted bumpers etc, straight looking body, appears to have been on the road not left for a decade sunk in the mud.
    Rust inside the doors can be fixed by half wit body monyeys for not that much money if you find the right person, same with cab floor patching. Looks from here like the exterior visible sheet metal is all there, and unless you want a show winner the underside and floor doesn't need pretty repairs.
    Bed and fenders are still lined up so it's really not in bad shape, or for the age it's about as mint as you'll find.
    Maybe I'm over stating it due to living in the snow belt, but my 2000 GMC is in worse shape and I took care of it until I parked it a few years ago. In 30 more years a typical pickup will be a red stain on the dirt. Maybe a bump where the block was.

Rowdyman likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well as a reliable used truck for working tomorrow it might well be called a rust bucket.

But as an antique truck from before the smog and 5mph bumper era, IOW Detroit golden age truck, it's super clean, right?

But I'm not sure now if @chet again is looking for a cool antique project truck or a used work truck?

13. chet again

There are guys paying six figures to restore those cars...but you know that now.

14. chet again

I'm gonna crawl under the truck and give it a close inspection with a flashlight to look for rust damage.

Does the LMI place sell beds for this truck?

15. trapdoor2

LMC Truck. Yes I think all parts are available...plus commonly rusted sections like door bottoms and lower quarters.

Beds are expensive, around $1000 + 250 for shipping. I think wood was std on the GMCs, steel was an option. Vice versa on the Chevys.

I think I'd low-ball something that rusty...$1500 tops. Everything on it is unknown until you start digging. Gets expensive quick.

16. chet again

17. trapdoor2

Not much to say, she's been rebuilt and repainted...but we bought her that way. Runs beautifully, shifts smoothly (turbo 400). As far as I can tell, she's almost completely stock, her equipment list is still on the inside of the glove-compartment (original A/C). The 'red' is not exactly the original red but AFAICT, the original red was on the orange side anyway.

The 396 just rumbles along. It is a typical big-block, bone stock...numbers appropriate for the date of mfg. I have a new MSD distributor for her and may replace the carb with a modern injector. She's a bit finicky about her timing and I've had to change points twice since we bought her. Some of that may be lack of use, some is just the system. The MSD will fix all of that. An injector will fix just about everything else. She has a set of Hedman headers in place of the original manifold. That's a plus. It would be fun to install a mild street cam and aluminum heads/intake...but I'll probably just leave her alone.

She never had power brakes (or discs), I'm going to change that. Miz Diane has had both knees replaced and she's not comfortable with the originals. A power front-disc setup is really easy to swap in. She's wasn't bought to be a showpiece but to use. Her bed was sprayed with some kind of liner on the inside, so it is protected. We've moved furniture, hauled mulch, etc.

The original instrument panel shows some heat damage, I think her ammeter burned up at some point. I have a replacement and will add a Tach and whatever else to fill all the blank holes. Her steering wheel is original and cracked from age. Finding an original that isn't cracked is next-to-impossible so I'll probably fit an aftermarket wheel when I get around to it. Tilt, maybe. Again, finding an original tilt column is hard to do. I could install an aftermarket from LMC but...probably not.

I would also like to get rid of the 4:11 rear end (which is a 12-bolt) and install something taller (3:54?) with a Posi. She'll drive more comfortably on the highway with that setup...and I like a Posi. I may add a hidden trailer hitch. Nice to have.

Of course, her radio doesn't work. Easy swap. I had the headlight fuse pop last time I drove her. I'll rewire and put them on a relay so that the original switch isn't a liability (it is huge and they run on full power, the relay mod is a good thing and actually puts more power to the headlights).

She's been in storage since we decided to move. As soon as the new garage gets its lift, I'll move her and the Buick out of storage and get to work!

haggardfan1 likes this.
  18. chet again

How much did it cost you and how much have you put into it?

The truck I looked at had electronic points. Pretty sure I won't buy it due to the extensive rust damage.

19. chet again

I had a blue 69 Impala in the '70s that some lady stopped and was in love with so I just sold it on the spot for $500. I bought a green 68 Impala while I was stationed at Ft. Gordon, Ga. for AIT in 1983. I sold that to my BIL's brother cause I was going to Germany. Both were in mint condition.

teletail likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.