1969 GMC Pickup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 22, 2020.

1. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Exacltly... First gear is for climbing a mountain towing 10,000 pounds, 2nd gear is the real 1st in those granny gear 4 speed boxes...

telemnemonics and BobbyZ like this.
  2. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

Pix of the truck:

[/ATTACH] IM002736.JPG IM002737.JPG IM002738.JPG IM002739.JPG IM002740.JPG IM002741.JPG IM002742.JPG IM002744.JPG

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

As a 13 year old I spent a summer learning to drive a C20 with the 4speed while working on a farm. The shifters said L for 1st, so it was fairly self explanatory. You’d learn right away why it’s better to start in 2nd from a dead stop. The one I drove was 4wd, and the transfer case was all but unnecessary. You could crawl in 1st in HI as it was. I learned how to navigate downhill some pretty gnarly steep and rutted roads just using granny gear and laying off the brake. I wish my kids could have had the same type of driver’s ed I had. They’ve never even driven a standard, much less a clutch with a long and hard throw, crawling on a steep incline. Those type of experiences teach you what it really means to drive a vehicle. Now cars do most of the driving. Soon they will be doing all of the driving.

getbent likes this.
  4. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Crazy, iirc it was 1978/9 living in Lincoln, had a gold colored 49 willys cj2a. That thing was scary to drive...way over powered and didn't have the suspension, steering or brakes for the weight of the 350 short block? that somebody had dropped in there. Kept it for about 6 months and sold it for $600. Maybe it was the same willys? Started working on farms at age 12, shade tree rebuilt a couple of old beater before I was 16.

On another note, a young couple/neighbors were trying to get their 1970 K5 Blazer cleaned up and going. Its been sitting about a year, being a storage shed and they want to use it to go adventuring in the North Cascades logging roads. Its a fine old beater, rebuilt v8, 4 sp, 4wd, winch and coker tires. Anyway their usual vehicles are a 2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia and newer Jeep Grand Cherokee. Needless to say they had no idea on how to get it started and were attempting to trickle charge the old dead battery for the past 3 days. I wonder over to ask how's it going. They had no idea; I noted to clean the battery terminals, check the water (level is below the top of the cells). Noted try doing a hard choke, get some starter fluid and jump it...complete with proper instructions and precautions. A few hours later, out walking the dog, they said choking the carb, starter fluid and jumping worked like a charm...but the battery was not holding any charge...duh. Anyway love old vehicles that are easy to work on...not that I want to revisit being a grease monkey...but that K5 would be fun to bomb around on the logging roads.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    getbent and Milspec like this.
  5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

69 would be about the last year of the 327 but an engine swap is so easy on those things it could be from anything. It also could be any number of other small block Chevy engines too! They all look alike and a "327" is kind of mystical where a 307 is considered a boat anchor. So if you're selling you say "327" and unless the buyer checks numbers he won't really know.
    A 5 speed????
    Originally there was a 3 speed manual or a four speed manual, and of course automatics. The four speeds in pickups are big heavy things not suitable for a car.
    If it really is a 5 speed he might have used one out of an even larger truck, like a 2 ton. Or he's got a car transmission of some sort in there, who knows?
    Could be like the old farmer's IH pickup my dad looked once. It had a 5 speed, actually a rare option on International pickups. Turned out the farmer's way of counting gears was different than most people's. "5 speeds, 4 forward and 1 reverse". :)

6. BobbyZ

My last post was before I read the whole thread.
    That truck looks worth $3,500 to me. Just remember it's been worked on by either good mechanics or idiots. Always assume idiots!
    It could have rust I can't see, rust repair sucks! The mechanical parts on those are extremely simple to work on and you will be working on them!
    I'd sell that Holly carburetor to some mullet headed dimwit straight away and get a new Carter AVS type thing.

7. chet again

There's rust on the bottom of the cab door openings on both sides. The bottom of the doors are shot as well. He says the bottom of the truck bed can be replaced pretty easily cause it's bolted on.

It has a Summit carb and manifold.

I don't know if I could find a pair of replacement doors.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. BobbyZ

It'd be a pretty intense project then. Body restoration is unbelievably expensive, to do right. Easily top ten grand just getting it painted these days. On the other hand if you just wanted to drive it more or less as is it wouldn't be so bad. That's what I did with my 66 Volvo wagon. Originally I was in "full restoration" mode and at the time I was making the money to do it. Then it hit me that I'd be dropping like 30 grand into this old damned car! So I just drove it as is, other than a few mechanical upgrades and a new windshield. I'd still be driving it but I went soft and got into things with air conditioning, heated seats and a quieter ride.
    Although 300 miles in an 08 Mini Cooper yesterday has me thinking about driving the Volvo again. That car will loosen your teeth on Minnesota roads!

Milspec likes this.
  9. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

GMC humtruckers are kind of muddy.

Edit: I can't make this joke translate. Shameful, but I'm leaving it up.

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

Glad that thing isn't close to me, I'd be pretty tempted. But I've already got the 81 Dodge W250 for dump runs, fire wood and lumber, aka the "Babe Magnet".

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you can buy replacement doors from LMC truck...
    good job on looking where I told you to look.. BUT, if the drip rails were okay, it would be worth 3500.00 to me. If you can weld some, cut out the rot, you can buy the panel that is rusty from LMC truck, weld them in, prime and get a local paint guy to match it up as close as possible, redo the seats yourself (if they need it.) if it has a 350 in it (I think it does) buy it and drive and have fun.

You start in 2nd gear in those trucks. I drove my friends 69 for about 6 months in my early 20's and loved it... not a speed demon, but you will get where you are going.

versus a dodge durango... not even close. for picking up babes, the 69 AS IS is a MAGNET for the right kind of girl!

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If being a 327 is really important to you I'd triple check...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

First gear will be non-synchro and the actual shift will be a long throw compared to the other forward gears . Use second to pull out just like wblynch said .

14. chet again

Question: could I find a regular 4 speed tranny and put that in?

The guy said he already had someone reupholster the seat. I don't remember why he said he put the seat cover on it.

15. getbent

I spent many hours fixing my friends 72 K5 blazer... great truck... we just beat the absolute crap out of it... he got some dick cepek tires for it and we wandered the desert outside phoenix doing all manner of fun and illegal thing (now)...

16. chet again

The Durango might just need some simple tranny work to get going and it's a lot newer and cheaper.

17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Like I previously said. Love these old trucks.

But..... Hard pass. Not even if it had a/c, power brakes and three dates from my youth in the cab.

Pull up the rubber floor mat. Crawl underneath. look around. Fred Flintstone could probably stick his feet through there.
    With the rockers and bottom of the doors gone, so is much of the floor, body mounts, etc.
    And no, the bed floor is not a "bolt in" repair. Not even close. The bed assembly un-bolts from the frame. If you can get the bolts out. Or for that matter if the bolts are still attached to anything. The floor is very well welded to the quarter panels front and rear bed panels etc. Where it hasnt rusted away.
    Sorry. :eek:, But there never seems to be a shortage of nostalgic dreamers who want to fix these things. And again, sorry, but the rate of people who actually succeed in doing so, is very, very low. I suspect that for every single person who has fixed something like this up and is driving it around, there are conservatively 20 dreamers with a partial project sitting there, further rotting away.
    In all honesty, I have been on both sides. Hours and years spent, just to realize the facts of life.
    Yes, i can fix that.
    Yes, life is too short.
    Lord, I hate rust repairs. Just recently sold one project for far less cost than all the brand new parts stuffed in the cab and bed as it left. Thats reality. Dont regret it.

And yet....
    Its still probable better than the Durango.

Sorry.
    I'll crawl back in my hole now.

Milspec likes this.
  18. chet again

Fifty one year old vehicle vs a 21 year old vehicle.

19. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Buying old vehicles is like buying an old house....you will be spending a LOT of money to restore it. They are both really cool when completed, but you have to really want to do it and have deep pockets.

I fully frame off restored a '79 Jeep J10 about 8 years ago. It was gorgeous all around and rebuilt everything on that truck, but it was full-time 4x4 with a thirsty 360 V8 which only got 7 mpg. At the time, gas prices were still high and it cost me about $20 each time I drove it to work. Ending up selling it off for about a third of what I invested into it. The new owner thought he made the deal of his life and then told me he was planning on driving it back to Alabama. I told him the good news was that the gas gauge was accurrate....the bad news was the gas gauge was accurrate.

Then I purchased a '74 Dodge W100 from the Colorado Forrestry Service. I had plans on turning it into a clone of the Power Wagon used on the tv show "Simon and Simon". Had all new fenders, rockers, door skins, and cab corners installed. REplaced the floor pans and had the cab painted the correct shade of paint and clear. I then rebuilt the entire drive trane (360 V8, 4-spd trans, t-case, axles, and driveshafts while waiting to locate a replacement bed for it which had lots of rust. After searching for 2 years and having several locater services searching as well, I concluded that there were no rust free beds available for the old Dodges and the restoration ended.

The Dodge was very impressive though and I miss it, but not wanting to settle for a flat bed, I sold it for much less than I had invested in that one as well.

I would love to have an old Jeep again or another Power Wagon, but I really can't afford the time nor cost to fix them up anymore. Trust me, even the ones that look good, they will be a hole that you throw your money into on a weekly basis.

getbent and MarkieMark like this.
  20. getbent

51 year old decorated veteran with a resume a mile long of perseverance, success and reliability vs.
    21 year old meth head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.