1969 GMC Pickup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 22, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Pretty sure 327 was in those late 60s Chevys. My '71 came with the next bump up to 350. Of course after I stroked mine it was a 383.:cool:
    I'm really interested if any of these years had a 5 peed. I just don't recall that at all.

2. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

So...what are you saying?

3. chet again

Might've been 4 speed.

4. chet again

The shifter was on the floor.

I'll call the guy tomorrow and see what the deal is. Then I might do some hands-on investigating.

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh heck yes ! Go for it.

6. chet again

There's all kinds of old trucks around here sitting in the yards of these farms that look like they're given up for dead.

You see these farmers driving these old trucks around as well.

hdvades likes this.
  7. chet again

If I wait maybe I can talk him down too. :cool:

I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

8. chet again

As far as frame rust...they probably wouldn't be as bad as a city truck.

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Upon further reflection I think you're right. My memory of those high school and college years is mighty hazy.
    I think 327 was the sought after powerplant, 283 was the standard equipment V8, and 350 was what everyone transplanted in, once they came available.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, that is why I was asking about the 5 speed, because my high school years back then are getting kinda hazy too. I think we are turning into a mutual support group here helping with our fading memories.:(

wrathfuldeity likes this.
  11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

If I was in the market, I'd be pretty damn tempted depending on the condition.

I'd add that the reason I have largely lost interest in vintage cars is the lack of A/C in most of them. About 15 years ago I had a 70 Olds Cutlass SX with factory air. I should have kept that car.

12. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I have a 72 with factory air 402 TH400 Cheyenne C-20 Custom Camper. The man I bought it from worked in the plant and watched it being built.

hdvades and getbent like this.
  13. chet again

I googled the truck and saw that restored models cost a lotta bucks. I should be able to see what the deal is this weekend.

drmordo likes this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sorry, I was not very clear. You cannot buy one here for $3500. If the body and frame were good at $3500, I'd bite...especially if the trim pieces were fairly complete. The pickup bed is fairly easy to replace.

Switching that particular truck (assuming 1/2 ton) to later model disc brakes, power steering, air conditioning, and/or any other upgrades that interest you are pretty straight-forward being a favorite with the restoration and hot rod crowds. Cheers!

15. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

I at some point or another had a 68' a 69' and a 71' GM pickup in my younger days.
    As others, my memory is a bit fuzzy as to what was "standard" option through the years, but I am pretty sure that if it is indeed a 327 in a 69', it was swapped in. I am pretty certain 350s where standard that year.
    No 5 speeds. Zero. Which again, if correct, means some swapping has occurred. Odd swaps for a truck though.
    My 68 was a short stepside, and I swapped in a 350/turbo 350 out of a wrecked 70s Camaro to replace the original inline 6. It was ok, desperately needed better brakes and power steering.
    My 69 if I recall correctly was a long bed camper special with an original 4 barrel 400/turbo 400 and deluxe interior. disc front brakes, power steering, a/c- loaded! Nice truck. Wish I had one just like i bought it now!
    The 71 was the best of the three however. Came stock w/4 bolt main 350 4 barrel, turbo 375 (hd turbo 350) and a 4:10 rear. long bed, also loaded. The a/c would freeze you out! It looked like a stock "beater" work truck, but with just a mild cam, intake manifold and carb swap, it run real strong. Even with snow/truck tires and the stock (big) single exhaust, it would walk many "performance" cars in the late 70's when I had it.
    All three rusted away to the point where it wasnt practical to keep going. Floors, rocker panels, etc. When I sold the 71, I literally pulled out on the door skins to remove my speakers without removing the trim panels. I sold it cheap for use as a work hauler for a few years, but always wished I'd just kept the drivetrain. That thing was a runner.

Anyway, my point is.... Rust. That was 40 years or so ago, and I cant imagine finding a dry/solid example now at an affordable price point.
    And I hate rusty old vehicle repairs. That optimism faded to reality a LONG time ago!

Rowdyman likes this.
  16. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Oh, and I forgot to say:

As Stormsedge alluded to, parts swapping and upgrading on these is about as easy as it gets. GM has always provided one of the most standardized platforms for parts interchangability, and the aftermarket provides plentiful options due to popularity.

17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting. I know nothing about old truck prices, but $3500 for a 50 year old truck with a bed needing replacement sounds like highway robbery to me. I would have figured less than a thousand bucks.

Wow, that's amazing!

I've lived here off and on for 35+ years and have never heard this haha

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  18. chet again

The junkyards in Omaha, Ne. used to crush classic sixties cars like nobody's business in the '70s and '80s.

Pretty stupid junkyard owners.

19. chet again

When I first saw the truck I was hoping they would let it go for a couple of hundred bucks.

Colo Springs E likes this.
  20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with power assist delete brakes , nothing at all . Should be fairly simple to throw a flatbed on the back . Rust is the main concern . Stay away from vintage 1973 .That was the first year of mandated recycled steel and trucks got it first . Many a 1973 pickup simply rusted away long before it's time .
    Internal engine parts should be simple and cheap , if necessary . GMC truck of that era may have a coil spring rear . Pay attention to the mounting area of the truck arms if it is .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.