1969 GMC Pickup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, May 22, 2020.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

The pickup I was saying I was interested in is a 1969 GMC. There was a sign on it saying it had a 327 V8 engine and a 5 speed manual tranny. No power brakes or power steering. The bed is rusted but I should be able to get a new one for it if I bought it.

$3,500.00.

The 327 and manual tranny have me interested. If they're in good shape and I found a nice body for a '60s Chevelle I could put them in that.

Opinions?

Preacher, haggardfan1 and getbent like this.
  2. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

GMC and Chevy pickups from that time are desirable especially if it’s a shortbed stepside.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sounds cool, the engine and trans are probably put in later right? What years did GMC have those oddball V6's with the huge pistons?
    Those things were huge gas guzzlers, like 6MPG. 478 cu in V6! I remember my Dad in law had one and he had the heads off it, those damn piston tops looked like frying pans! :lol:
    I doubt there are parts for any of those now days...
    Found info:
    "GMC Truck produced a unique 60 degree V6 engine family from 1959 through 1974, in gasoline and Diesel versions. V8 and V12 derivatives of the basic design were also produced. Examples of this engine family were found in pickup trucks, Suburbans, heavier trucks and motor coaches.

V6 engines were produced in 305, 351, 401 and 478 cubic-inch (5.0, 5.8, 6.6, and 7.8 respectively liter) displacements, with considerable parts commonality. During the latter years of production, 379-and-432-cubic-inch (6.2 and 7.1 L) versions with enlarged crankshaft journals were manufactured as well.

GMC produced a 637-cubic-inch (10.4 L) 60° V8 with a single cam shaft using the same general layout (bore and stroke) as the 478 V6. The 637 V8 was the largest displacement production gasoline V8 ever made for highway trucks.

The largest engine derived from the series was a 702-cubic-inch (11.5 L) "Twin Six" V12, which had a unique block and crankshaft, but shared many exterior parts with the 351."

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I thought you were looking at a Durango with a worn out tranny.

Fretting out and verb boten like this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

$3500 wouldn't buy a '69 GMC pickup around here unless it was totally clapped out with no motor or trans.

dented and 8trackmind like this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Are you digging through my past automotive history?

I drove a 1969 Chevy pickup like that back in the early 80's when I was helping my grandfather run his farm. The bed eventually rusted out so we sold it for like $250. $3500? Wow. I should have kept it.

7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That era of truck have held up well with far less rust issues as found on later years. Unfortunately, that only applies to the body and frames found in Iowa look like they came off the ocean floor. Even if you could find a clean fram in Iowa, those non-powered drum brakes are a death trap.

If you have the money to make a lot of mechanical upgrades, they can be a great truck....but they will also be like buying a boat, a money pit.

drmordo and Torren61 like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a '71 GMC Jimmy 4x4 for a good 12 years. It had powered front disc brakes that made these vehicles worthy for the road. Not aware of a 5 speed in that era, so you might research that first. I stroked my 350 small block and it became a torque monster. Put a good gas shock on the main front tie rod and you are good to go.

drmordo and Torren61 like this.
  9. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

that's a durn good pickup to put on a banjo.

String Tree and Piotr like this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I drove a company GMC p/u with that V6. More torque than horsepower, but that was what was needed.

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

As a steering damper?

Rowdyman and Obsessed like this.
  12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

If I was looking I’d go to Colorado Springs.
    World renowned for clean cars @ junkyards.

Milspec likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes. The kits are really using a very strong dampener. "Gas shock" is probably not quite the correct term. My bad. Good that you asked.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  14. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

MANY to chose from.

15. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wow kinda all over the place with the engines...

16. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I had one of those 432 v6 engines, there were so few made the data tag on it was hand written. Pistons the size of old coffee cans and took 12 quarts of oil.

String Tree and schmee like this.
  17. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

check the numbers on that 327. You never know, if it’s a good corvette engine it would be worth thousandes to a restorer. You might get more for the motor than the whole truck cost you.

I just realized, my 63 Corvette came from Iowa... stranger things have happened. Would love to see the stamp pad on yours.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

look very closely at the quarter panels and drip rail... if those are good... buy it. The cab alone could be worth 10K if it is not rust city.

you can put a booster on the brakes, not that hard to do... and it is a great looking truck...

Obsessed and haggardfan1 like this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

And before that a Tahoe? Maybe

I guess he’s got a wide range of vehicles he’s interested in

Or it’s a magical truck that can change form

Torren61 likes this.
  20. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Is the 5-speed on the column? Might be original. :D

A high school friend bought a 1968 model in which 283 was the OEM engine. I honestly don't recall if 327 was a factory option, but I don't think so.

My first vehicle was a '60 short stepside. Second was a '67 with the small back window, and I drove that one all through college and then some. 250 straight six, and I swear it had more power than a 305 that was in a '79 truck I bought later.

Incidentally, the 250 engine was in my first truck which I wrecked. It was freshly rebuilt, so we just stuck it into the '67, which I bought cheap because it had no engine.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.