1969 Fender Twin vs 1979 Vibrosonic Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by saintgerty, Mar 8, 2018.

1. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

I have a chance to buy either....
    Im confused. Mostly play a strat....(and or occasionally a tele)-

Both have JBL speakers. The vibrosonic (135W linear) is in much better condition. Although the twin has been serviced yearly. The twins reverb needs looking at, but shouldnt be a big problem.

Music i play is mostly alternative, shimmery....something :)
    I know it's foolish asking a forum... but... maybe, something may help me. I at a loss to decide. Both cost about the same give or take 200 dollars.

Just opinions i guess...and much appreciated.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If the Twin is non linear get it.

3. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    No doubt the Twin - the cabinet construction alone is much better... have pics to share?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

5. saintgerty

saintgerty TDPRI Member

drats my fault....the vibrosonic is actually from 1973, a jbl/fender orange label speaker. The twin has grey label. The cabinet net of the twin is really patchy, covered with a cheap worn leatherette. The vibrosonic is nearly in new condition. ...

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

A silverface Vibrosonic Reverb is the same amp as, the same year SFTR. With the exception of the output transformer being different to match the 8 ohm load. So it really boils down to the one you like best.
    The 69 will have the blackface style cab and the 73 VS the glued in baffle type. Personally I've got amps with both and while the BF style cab is "cooler" I really have no preference.

dannyh likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Without pics it is hard to decide. When a cab’s covering is rough, I start looking hard at the physical condition of the joints, etc....so, for me the TR is suspect even though I do prefer the one-piece baffleboard to the glued in baffle/Velcro-attached grille of the later cabs. I might be in the camp that would go for the Vibrosonic due it’s condition..and...the UL thing doesn’t bother me at all. There are high dollar boutique amps that use ultralinear Outputs, and yet Fender is the only UL amp that gets dissed.

Telecastoff1 and LuthRavin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.