1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1969 Fender Super Reverb SF Circuit ID

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by HD28, Mar 31, 2021.

1. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

Couple things I find interesting. So far.
    The marks on the chassis.
    There is screen on the underside of the top of the amp instead of sheet aluminum or foil.
    And the CSA sticker, which is the Canadian equivalent of Underwriters Laboratories in the states. Buddy says his dad bought it in ND so why does it have a CSA sticker? Doesn’t really matter but it makes me think...

Attached Files:

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

His dad buy it in Fargo new or used? A lot of Canadian gear wound up in Fargo. Well actually in Moorhead MN across the river, used to be a really cool store there.
    I think some of my old Fenders had that sticker too.

HD28 likes this.
  3. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Great story. The next chapter in the life of a former butt kicking Canadian Polka machine. Stay tuned.

HD28 likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That screen is original. The black staples are indicative of that. I have seen sheet metal there, and I have screen.
    As for the marks on the ends of the chassis, those have never concerned me. I know not what they might mean. Here is a picture of the end of a very early 1974 DR...
    3A62DAEA-779A-49EA-B2DB-489BC12B7820.jpeg

HD28 likes this.
  5. Wally

Yes. When there are brownish edges to that getter flash, I take it to mean that a tube has seen a lot of wear.

HD28 likes this.
  6. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

Dating myself, I remember that in and around ‘68-‘69 the Canadian dollar was about 10 cents stronger than the greenback. So there was a lot of cross border (southbound that is) traffic. The son states that mom said the amp was bought before he was born in 69/70. The amp has CSA sticker on chassis and the PT has “CSA Tested” on it. It also has a 3-way ground switch with death cap. The PT part number also suggests that it was made for the export market.
    How the amp ended up back in the states, with the CAD being stronger than the USD is a mystery to me. But people and retailers do silly things.
    Regardless, I believe that our accordion playing purchaser used the strength of his CAD to save 10% and took a trip down from the big smoke (Winnipeg) to Moorhead.

Or something completely different happened...

Attached Files:

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

That Canadian to US dollar thing has flip flopped several times. I got used to getting money back if I paid in US dollars, then one day I buy ten bucks worth of gas, hand over a US ten dollar bill and have to dig out more money.
    One thing that drives me nuts and I'm certain really drives Canadians nuts, is you can't use Canadian currency in the States. Never had a problem with US money in Canada. I could see that further south but it happens pretty much as soon as you cross the border.
    Almost didn't get into Alaska once, you gotta pay the US border people ten bucks in a semi truck, all I had was Canadian money, they don't take cards. Guys are complete jerks! Finally I scrape ten bucks together. Always had better experiences with the Canadian border people.
    Once in Beaver Creek I get asked if I have any firearms and say, "I don't know". I'd just jumped into a company pickup in Fairbanks and headed south. Told the guy we could look, he just told me I'd better find out before I go back north, he never looked. Thankfully there wasn't one, I would've had to get rid of it on Canada. He told me to never say "I don't know" on the US side.Lol

I've seen that "CSA tested" on PTs before too. Think the 3 way ground switch became standard at some point, I'm guessing when they got grounded cords?

jman72 and HD28 like this.
  8. Wally

Chuckles.....I would not trust the word of a mother who doesn’t remember the year her son was born! Lol.....

BobbyZ and HD28 like this.
  9. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

The 1069 and 270 circuits show a 3-prong plug and outlet with a 2-way ground switch. Robrob site shows a snippet of a 70’s era Bassman schematic showing 3-prong plug and outlet but with a 3-way ground switch.
    The 568 shows 2-prong plug and outlet.
    This amp has the latter but with a 3-way switch.

10. Wally

interesting, but you have an AB568 circuit.

11. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

As this amp is so original, I have 2 questions.
    1. Restore and clean, leaving electronics as-built.
    2. Restore, clean, recap and blackface.
    Your answers won’t hurt my feelings.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The screen is stock on the older amps, that's a plus.

HD28 likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

If you like it, leave it.
    If you want improvement BF it.
    Either case replace at least the filter caps.

Wally and HD28 like this.
  14. Wally

HD28, I have never heard a mixed biased Fender with a fresh recap. I have always pulled those cathode resistors. I based what I did based on what I have read about the reaction to those amps when they came to market and the fact that Fender never went back to such a circuit after they used those schematics for that one year.
    It might be an interesting experiment to put those resistors on a temporary switch while the amp was on the bench to judge for one’s self what the difference is. If the cathode aspect gave the amp a bit of a quicker inclination to break up, that might be a good thing today’s world???.

schmee and HD28 like this.
  15. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

Thank you for your input Wally!

16. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

Thank you schmee!

17. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Those original caps worked for 3 years longer than I did...they deserve a retirement!

HD28 likes this.
  18. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

19. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Nice, all original with the "dreaded" AB568 circuit. First, I wouldn't advise operating the amp until the filter and bias capacitors and the two prong cord were replaced. After that it's up to you whether to convert it to AB763 (blackface) specs. It's fairly easy to do for a knowledeable amp tech.

HD28 likes this.
  20. HD28

HD28 TDPRI Member

While shopping for cap kits I came across this.
    The AB568 shows a 25 uF cap on leg 8 of V5.
    The AA1069 shows a 5uF cap on leg 8 of V5.
    This amp has a 5uF cap.
    Unless there were any interim circuit designs between ab568 and aa1069, this amp is aa1069.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.