1969 Esquire value ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by sparkymike, Oct 29, 2019.

1. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Hi I have a 1969 Fender Esquire that is very original and looked after. Only alterations is that a neck pickup was fitted early in its life and the bridge pickup was replaced with a Seymore Duncan. However I have kept the original pickup but that needs a rewind.
    Big question is what could I ask for this guitar? If I keep it another ten years will it double in value?
    I will post photos later.
    Mike.

2. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer Tele-Meister

I believe the 1969 was the last year that Fender made the original Esquires, I personally think they are one of the coolest guitars ever made by Fender,I've always wanted one myself but have too many instruments already...I would compare other Esquires of that era to get an idea of value ..I believe Reverb.com has a value chart for particular instruments.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

THAT is the big question! Who knows in ten years. The values of vintage instruments really skyrocketed in the mid 2000's and then bottomed out when the recession hit. It is slowly crawling its way back up but who knows what the next ten years will bring?

I would treat it like Wall Street Stock, there is a time to sell but only doing your due diligence and keeping abreast of the market will let you know when that is.

I would love to see some pictures of that guitar though!

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  4. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Photos of the above Tele.
    I bought this from a guy in the UK in mid 80's, and at first borrowed it to see how I liked it then after a few days, I went back to buy it and the guy had changed his mind !! In the end I paid an extra £50.00 for the case and then he was ok about the sale.
    In our area there were several USAF air bases and I knew of several Fenders that came over the pond, duty free via airmen.
    This particular Tele has a neck to die for, and one that you can't put down. Silky smooth and feels just right. Heck I am talking myself out of parting it out !!
    In the early days, Selmer, in London's Charing Cross road. Selmer used to supply their own cases that had a Selmer logo on the outside of the good quality cases.
    The strap has been with the guitar since I bought it. Flower power and all that I guess.
    Mike.

Attached Files:

5. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Anyone any idea what wood the body is made of ? Swmp ash ? Its pretty lightweight.

6. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer Tele-Meister

Nice guitar, I would think right off hand that one thing that would detract the value, if the original finish was stripped off ,stock finishes are important. Which was a common practice in the late 60's-early 70's. I don't know if Fender offered a natural wood stock finish in '69....regardless, it's a nice geetar.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The guitar is refinished so take off at least 50% from any value you find an original going on for at this moment.

dented and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Dan Skammer

Dan Skammer Tele-Meister

Another thing to ponder is that the Esquires were prided on getting mutiple tones with one pickup and a three way switch. I believe that some were routed out under the scratchplate for the option of adding a neck pickup. I'm pretty sure reissues or Custom shop models do. Someone with more Fender history knowledge could weigh in..I've seen a recent ad post were a stock packaged neck pickup assembly was included in the Esquire case.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Lovely guitar....I especially like the wear on that rosewood fretboard.
    But like said, the refinish, the added neck p/up, and the re-wired controls will all be used by the "cork sniffers" to reduce value. I want guitars for their "intrinsic" value.....not for "collectible" status.

ftbtx likes this.
  10. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

As far as I can tell, not refinished.
    Mike.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Personally, if you're thinking about selling, it would be best to get it to a known dealer with a good reputation. The vintage crash is coming, so I'd sell now before prices drop further.

I'd also say it's been refinished as well. I have not come across anything like that color before.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    fenderchamp likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

Have you checked in control or pickup cavities? That should tell you. Good luck!

richiek65, fenderchamp and corliss1 like this.
  13. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Spaghetti logo is wrong for '69. Worth taking the neck off for a look at the date stamp. Strange because spaghetti logo rosewood boards didn't have a skunk stripe on the neck AFAICR.

Looks like there are dowel marks on the back of the body....can't recall when they stopped doing that but believe it was well before '69.

Are those ferrules flush with the surface? Hard to tell from those pics.

Looks like swamp ash from here, especially if it is indeed lightweight. I thought Fender was finding it more and more difficult to source lightweight ash by '69, hence the Thinline model.

jfgesquire likes this.
  14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

fenderchamp likes this.
  15. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

All esquires were routed exactly like a telecaster. Every single one

David Barnett likes this.
  16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

sun scheduled to explode 2024, highly unlikely guitar is flame proof. sell now and lock in your gain. or bet against the solar system.
    your call...

17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Something not right.

Spaghetti Fender logo ended '66?

Esquire should be in "quotes"?

The decal above looks like:

Fender
    Custom Esquire

...from like '66 or earlier with the word Custom missing.

That neck needs to come off to know more.

The only spaghetti logo I know of that late ('68 - '69) is on the prototype solid rosewood of George Harrison.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

63telemaster likes this.
  18. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Couple of excellent points....

Plugs in headstock didn't reappear until '69... But flush ferrules disappeared in '68?

The logo looks like a Custom Esquire logo from '66 or earlier with the word Custom cut off. But there's a walnut plug by the nut and a skunk stripe...

Odd odd odd for what I know about that era.

fenderchamp and 63telemaster like this.
  19. nojazzhere

SO.....the thot plickens.......?

fenderchamp and jfgesquire like this.
  20. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

The bridge looks like it's got a patent number, yes?

Are those the threaded saddles, or do they only have one string "notch" on each side of the intonation screw? (Sorry, can't tell, the picture is a little blurry on my cell phone, or it's the alcohol and lack of glasses)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.