1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1968, what happened between the Blackface and the Silverface era? NEW VIDEO!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bobchill, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

I just released this short video about the transitional era of the Fender Twin Reverb amplifiers at the end of the 60's, the period of the so-called "Drip Edge" Silverface models; I hope you enjoy!

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not sure that I learned a lot but his videos are well made and I love listening to him talk

Skydog1010 and Bobchill like this.
  3. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Interesting - have a 68 in my living room that I bought new that year.

At one time back then I could actually carry it...

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Maybe he enjoys making videos, as the material he covered 1) had nothing at all to do with the title of his thread - "what happened between...", 2) virtually all of that material os common knowledge, and 3) there WAS no "between" period. Production of the drip edge amps began before blackface production stopped. CBS wasn't about to simply dump thousands of dollars of parts, control panel and other inventory like tube charts.

But as the SF/drip edge models had been announced they HAD to ship them and get them on dealer showroom floors. At the same time, they shipped out "fill in" spots with blackface models.

No sure why I'm explaining any of this myself - but if you know general info about Fender amp history and the BF to SF transition you might not want to waste 12 minutes watching a (IMO) difficult to understand video that covers commonly known info.

muchxs and Wally like this.
  5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Ex- videographer, ex- film maker here.

The first thing they told us in Advertising 101 was "No goofs!" meaning comedy and the non- sequitur are the low hanging fruit. Yet content circa (almost) 2020 is rife with goofs and non- sequiturs.

I used to ride my bicycle through Liberty State Park every weekend. I never, ever saw a mechanical fortune teller there.

"Limu Emu" insults what little intelligence I have left.

I used to watch television by recording everything first. I would then shuttle through the boring tedious program material and watch the pretty commercials.

Now that every Tom, Dick and Harry is an amateur videographer

A) It's no longer a paycheck for real videographers and

B) With little editorial oversight, noise tends to exceed content.

Why pay for content when you can get your content for free?

"This is BigTime Television"...

OMG! CBGB before the beer signs burned out!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. Silverface

Thank you' Hell, that's not low-hanging fruit....it's melons laying in the dirt.

Exactly why I am developing a strong dislike for amateur and semi-professional industry folks posting "educational" or worse yet, "tutorial" videos on YouTube.

If you are someone looking for education, vet your sources - and PLEASE realize that if the "tutor" is using a free medium - i.e. Youtube's free platform - rather than investing in a professional website that will support a business (or YouTube's commercial system, with company logs and such) - chances are high that the whole thing is a complete waste of time.

The majority of "who is THIS guy?" guitar finishing and repair videos on Youtube make me shudder. SO many people are damaging their instruments by assuming "it's on Youtube - the guy MUST be an expert!" - and they have NO recourse. I've even seen a few that look intentionally wrong - posted with the intent of having people CAUSE damage based on what they say. I've reported them and months later they are usually still up.

I get no "advice" on Youtube. If that's the only channel a company has for product tech support I won't buy the product.

muchxs likes this.
  7. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Wow! Talk about a tough crowd!

I found the video quite interesting. I didn't know about the specific differences in the designs. Then again, I am not a Fender amp history expert and therefore probably closer to the target audience.

EDIT: One thing I did not appreciate though was the 'tune in next time if you want to find out about the speakers' element.

Bobchill likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

6BC388B8-23D8-46E8-A75A-F59005628B3F.jpeg 372E11D7-1464-4A78-9EE7-79250DD9C328.jpeg

Ziss ees vut hoppened (German accent)

1967/blackface innards

Bobchill and bftfender like this.
  9. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you for the kind words Seasicksailor. Also, you expressed just the kind of constructive criticism that I LOVE, as opposed to the off-topic nonsense of some previous comments.

The 'tune in next time if you want to find out about the speakers' conclusion is to be intended as a mere presentation or announcement of the next episode. The speakers topic is too long and articulated to be covered in the same video; it deserves to be developed in depth with at least one separate and dedicated episode. No one would ever have time and patience to follow a one hour documentary on a single amplifier : )
    Any episode of a Youtube channel or TV series ends with something that tries to capture the attention on what's next, I see no evil in that.

As far as the previous comments are concerned:
    The point is that you don't have to show a professional career track record to post a video on Youtube: not as a professional videographer and not as a guitar connoisseur. Incidentally I happen to be both but that is not the point. If you already know everything about a given topic or simply don't like a video, just pass to the next you find of your interest and respect other people's work and professionality.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  10. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

No evil, indeed. Just unnecessary and gimmicky. It's just an annoying feature of many videos as you say. As a gimmick, it often has the opposite effect being fairly obvious. I think viewers don't want to feel forced or patronised. You can easily lose them that way. It's not like they don't have plenty of options anyway. I believe it would have sufficed to state something along the lines of "In the next video we will present the two 12inch Jensen speakers, original (or not) to the amp". And it would be good to have both videos available together. If people are genuinely interested, they won't require extra 'carrot'.

When it comes to other comments, sadly, I think some people are just not used to 'non-standard' accents. Which is kind of sad considering the easily forgotten international nature of the internet.

Bobchill likes this.
  11. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Thanks, great video. I'd love to see a review about the last Blackface/Silverface amps before the Rivera era began!

Bobchill likes this.
  12. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

I see your point Seasicksailor, thank you again for the suggestion. I agree in some measure.

Thank you Stefanhotrod!

Seasicksailor likes this.
  13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Hey, Bob!

Seeing that you are from Italy, may I say that your handling of English and specifically technical English, was quite good!

Bob

14. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Crusty old fart here who turned off the video before the end. As said, there is a lot of articles, web pages available to tell about the change. But why not a video so that you don't have to read (not saying it in a negative context). Actually the off topic comments are meant to inform the readers why the posters have their point of view. Takes more effort than to just say the video is fluff and leave it at that.

15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Meaning this affectionally: "A wild and crazy guy!" Some of us will smile at that.

16. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

Thank you Bob Womack, that's really encouraging! I chose to talk in English as I love the idea of being part of an international community of players. Trying to be a credible "English anchorman" is the most challenging part though : ) I'm putting much effort in trying to improve.

Thank you Printer2!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  17. lifebreath

lifebreath TDPRI Member

Then you’re missing out on some good content. Examples given:

Uncle Doug’s amp repair: https://www.youtube.com/user/Stratosaurus1/videos

Johan Segeborn comparison videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/JohanSegeborn/featured

Ralfy’s Whisky Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg

Then there's the MIT OpenCourseware channel, but I guess they've invested also in a professional website. https://www.youtube.com/user/MIT/videos

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Bobchill likes this.
  18. Silverface

You didn't read my post carefully missed what I said about vetting the qualifications of the person posting the review, and whether or not it's posted by just some unknown amateur or someone with a viable business like UncleDoug (who has a website and a brick n mortar business.). Ralfy has a website and a business; Segborn a website and an established level of credibility;

Then you mention MIT but then note that they have a website. So you copy part of my post, criticize it - and use examples that back up my point about checking sources' credibility. Oh, and you copied the part about "buying products - and none are selling something with youtube as the only support channel.

So since you copied/posted but didn't actually READ (or pay attention - I have no clue what you were thinking) my post -

What WAS your point????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.