1968 Paisley Telecaster Rosewood Board

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by TerryOz, Sep 24, 2013.

1. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

2. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Decal Placement

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

So Terry, I gather you think your Paisley does have a swapped neck? It is a 68 (or earlier) neck though?

4. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

It is a 1968 Neck and it certainly has been on the Body for 30 odd years that I know of.

5. Chicken

Chicken TDPRI Member

what is there to discuss

1968 paisley tele there was no abalone dots. thats fact

6. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Can you tell me where these Abalone Dots you mention are?:confused:

BrowneFace likes this.
  7. Chicken

Chicken TDPRI Member

hy terry, on your show´n tele are the dots abalone. and fender say´s, that in 1968 this option was not available...the show´n tele in this tread (24.09. 11:07PM) the neck is not correct! the neck is replaced from another tele of this aera (the dots are white)
    the rosewood board on a paisley was not original...I am working since 1995 exclusively with old telecaster to 1970. i already have all the variations of paisley here. this version there was never to buy from original fender. because of my collecting passion I was already several times in the custom shop and we had been there to disassemble some guitars to check for originality (sorry for my bad english ;-))

Attached Files:

• Tele.jpg
      Tele.jpg
      File size:
      13.2 KB
      Views:
  8. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Thanks. But!

There are no Abalone Dots on this Fretboard. They are the same "Pearloid" Dots as used by Fender since 1964.
    The Neck is a 100% Original 1968 Neck and I have made it pretty clear what I am asking in my original post. I am asking if there is ANYONE here who knows of an Original Paisley Tele that was supplied ex Fullerton, with a Rosewood Fretboard. I, like others here have never seen nor heard of one and even though I have been doing this since 1974 and have some knowledge of Vintage Telecasters, I am not prepared to make a "blanket statement" that they don't exist, I just have never seen, nor heard of one.
    BTW, there are many more people here, that would be a far better source of knowledge regarding Vintage Guitars than the fellows at the Fender Custom Shop. They make a nice new guitar, but that doesn't put them on the same page as the people here that I am talking about, so when it comes to old guitars. I can't see why you would want to travel to the Custom Shop and have them disassemble them to verify the originality of your guitars as I would have thought you'd have that sorted out prior to buying them, but I guess everyone does it their own way and of course you are welcome to do that.
    Thanks for your post...

9. Chicken

Chicken TDPRI Member

oh man...pearl oder abalone looks like near the same ;-)..i travel to fender because they look to some guitars of us to build authentic copies of them...if the CS is good or not is a other question?!...but they know, wat specs are been used in the hole area. my father and i own all tele/no... models 51-70 and the original historical documents, brochures and list order options...i'm out of here

10. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

yeah them custom shop guitars are very nice indeed but like TerryOz said there are people on here who have been collecting guitars before them guys in the custom shop were even born maybe the guy who builds the custom shop paisleys there should of come on here and asked those guys some advice instead of aging up a early 90s japan made paisley with a bunch of keys and thinking it is now period correct

Bandboy likes this.
  11. silkcityblues

silkcityblues TDPRI Member

Def. not , was not even offered .and pearl dots another no . Those pink paisleys didn't even sell back then and the blue flowered one even less. Bill Nash up until a couple years ago would buy the Japanese reissues and paint over them . The sad thing is those Japan made paisley and flowered ones Teles are as good as an American 52 reissue . Just food for thought .

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

12. Chicken

Chicken TDPRI Member

correct silkcityblues!

@netgear69: that's right but that´s the ground we go to CS to show them our originals teles and then CS can built it near original...

in my opinion, a collector (since 1974) also can be on the wrong track ... my job is to evaluate and to confirm old guitar for insurance

PS: the builder in the CS are very experienced..maybe not for 10 years but now ;-)

13. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

14. Olgabowl

Olgabowl Tele-Meister

"Back in the day, a thick wallpaper was used for Paisley guitars. The thinner material allows the wood to breath much better resulting in sweet vintage-quality tone."

:eek:

rob2 likes this.
  15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If you say so, Boss.

;)

rob2 likes this.
  16. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I remember playing an original Paisley Telecaster at Wallich's Music City in Hollywood sometime in the late sixties. They were still a new item at the time. I remember really liking it, but was hesitant because I wasn't sure I liked the color. They weren't around for very long after that and I kicked myself for not pulling the trigger. I bought a Gibson SG instead. I don't remember ever seeing one with a rosewood fretboard, but Fender employees somehow ended up with some interesting "one offs." It's quite possible that some did leave the factory with rosewood boards, but not those offered to the public I am sure.

RodeoTex likes this.
  17. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

Bingo!

18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, my thought as well. Maybe the original owner had a maple neck they couldn't get used to because they had played only rosewood boards- and swapped with somebody else- or even at the store. First I've ever seen with a RW board. IMG_1148.JPG

gitarjoe likes this.
  19. stenutin

stenutin TDPRI Member

In the ”Story of Fender Stratocaster” book by Ray Minhinnet and Bob Young from 1995, there is at least one nice pic of a ”employee one-off”.
    Thats a Stratocaster but does not mean could not happen.
    But if you dont have dokumentation, it is hard to prove.
    Collectors would pay sweet money with the proof, as you all know.

20. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

Yup. And in '68, anyone could go to a dealer and order a finished neck w/ no parts or tuners for about $50.

Around 1971, the lead pickup on my 69 Tele shorted out when a piece of broken 1st string fell into the hole in the pickup cover and somehow cut some of the wraps. I ordered a new replacement PU from my local dealer, and got it in 2 weeks. For a whopping $20.00.

It turned out to be a much hotter pickup than the original. I'm sure it wasn't any harder to get a different neck. All that was needed was the parts had to come through a registered Fender dealer.
    I suspect the Fender company put a limit on stuff like this in some fashion. Back in '68, Fender didn't want enough parts to be sold to put a kit guitar together out of them, for sure.
    regards,
    stanger

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.