1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1968 Gibson ES-175 Cherry Sunburst

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

So my wife's uncle comes over the house and I play a few songs on the Tele.

It ends up he has a 1968 ES-175 in his garage (yikes) that was gifted to him years ago by a musician he was doing business with. His wife almost **** when I guessed at a value.

What do you think the thing may be worth?

Thanks guys. It must be thousands, right?

2. Brutalblues

Brutalblues Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Look on eBay and search completed items.

3. Frankie

Frankie Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I own a 1962 ES175, sunbusrt.. I have watched the adds in Vintage Guitar Magazine and ohter places, they go any where from $3K to $5K just dependeing on who whants what. They have no where near the market value of a Les Paul, Strat or Tele from the same era. Remember, it's not what the book says, its what someone will pay for it.

They are awesome guitars. I play mine out ever once in awhile, and it sounds and plays very good. Gets used in the studio quite a bit.

4. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

Thanks guys. I didn't think to look at the completed items, thanks BB. When I checked open auctions none came up.

I'll make a point of checking this thing out. The guitar's owner lives out in PA so it's not often that we get together, but I'll be seeing more of him in the year ahead when he becomes a new grandpa.

The story goes that my wife's uncle was a freight forwarder at Newark Airport moving musical gear back and forth to London for a guy. The guy claimed that the guitar was a gift to him from John Entwistle in the 70's and then it was re-gifted to my wife's uncle in the early 80's as a token of appreciation for good service.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.