1968 Fender Echo Reverb Oil Can Delay

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by separateness, Mar 29, 2020.

1. separateness

separateness TDPRI Member

Welp fellas, I pulled the trigger on an Oil Can delay unit. Should be here Friday. Seller says it worked and there was no ticking (an indication of a scratched dielectric plate--an irreplaceable part). I bought some of that fancy oil, too, just in case.

Any one have one of these, any tips or tricks or things to inspect upon receiving? I know the disc and the heads are irreplaceable and the specifics of their manufacture is lost to history, so I will be very careful around those. Any tips on opening and sealing closed the oil can? I am almost afraid of this thing, because it is so precious.

Also, I was thinking of adding some sort of speed control to the motor, perhaps PWM or some such thing, I will have to look into it. Or if any one has any ideas, that would be cool. I am pretty sure it is a shade-pole type induction motor, but I am not sure. The motor is not on any of the schematics I've seen.

Attached Files:

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never really understood this idea. An electric motor sitting that close to the amp circuits is just begging for sound intrusion to the mix. They are very interesting from a historical aspect, but I can't see using one daily when there are so many good delay pedals out there. A cool conversation piece, but I would only use on occassion to show it off.

My 2 cents anyway

3. separateness

separateness TDPRI Member

I don't play out and I only do home recordings and composition. The music I make is somewhat unconventional besides. I've had a number of delay pedals and this thing has fascinated me. I like the limitations imposed by the archaic technology and all the demos I've seen of it sound heavenly. Some noise doesn't bother me. I am probably the perfect person to use and own such a device.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.