1968-69 Traynor YGM-2 in need of tlc

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thechad, Sep 16, 2019.

1. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

Hey everyone,
    I finally got around to opening up this guy. How I came to have it is documented in another thread. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/first-things-to-do-when-servicing-a-vintage-amp.975472/

Anyway, it appears to have a stock Marsland speaker.
    upload_2019-9-16_9-16-19.jpeg
    I haven’t heard many good things but I’m going to hook up another head to it and see how it sounds. I’m guessing it’s 8 ohm impedance? I don’t see anywhere that it says for sure.

The eyelet board is in need of replacing as it is very warped and damaged:

upload_2019-9-16_9-18-12.jpeg

And

upload_2019-9-16_9-18-42.jpeg

But it looks like it has been recapped, the OT looks to have been replaced. And a 3 prong plug has been installed. So most of my initial plans have been done to it, now I’m thinking of cleaning it up and making my own eyelet board to replace this one.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Traynors are well made and appearently the YB1 is just a few components away from being a full on plexi

3. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

The speaker is the weak point in those.

gitold likes this.
  4. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The eyelet board in my Rickenbacker B15 is warped like that. As long as nothing is grounding out on the chassis, it doesn't need to be replaced.

5. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I haven’t tried to play it yet, but I thought if it needs some work done it might be best to just rebuild the amp on a new board. I guess I will have to test things out first.

6. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I replaced the speaker on mine with a Mojo Tone and left the back off. Really made a difference. From ok to great.

thechad likes this.
  7. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I turned it on, all knobs at 0, from the speaker came a low hum. Sounded promising so I plugged in my guitar, strummed the strings and slowly turned up the volume...
    I got a slight crackle from the speakers. Aside from that, nothing!
    I’m thinking there is something shorting out on the board.
    Time to dig out the meter and do some testing...

8. Iron Dog

Iron Dog TDPRI Member

Hi. I'm curious about your YGM-2. I've worked on and owned a bunch of YGMs... all of them different in various ways from the factory and some of them subsequently modded beyond recognition.

I currently have a YGM-1 on the bench that has had a bad hum for many years according to the previous owner. It seemed to be coming from the PI tube. Ultimately, after many many attempts to solve it, I replaced the first dropping resistor (10 ohms (12 ohms on the schematic) with an 820 ohm and the hum has gone. That change reduced the screens from just over 400 volts to about 385. It also provided more ripple separation between the first two B+ nodes. There was 1.7 and 1.5 volts AC on the first 2 nodes respectively prior to increasing the first dropping resistor and afterward it was 1.7 and 0.4.

This change also lowered the remaining nodes but I put the 10 ohm back to feed the screens and the 820 ohm from the second node onward and the hum returned so it has to do with the screens or the plates~screens~PI relationship. 10 ohms just seems crazy low so wondered if you had any similar issues.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.