1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1967 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Larmo63, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

My cousin is mainly a bass player and has been in bands his whole life. He has a '67 Tele that I can probably buy for around $4500-5000. What is market, It's all original, he bought it in the eighties in Hawai'i. Original case, ashtray, pickups, pots, everything. It's a silver color.

I need some feedback.

dotpc likes this.
  2. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

We need some photos! :lol:

Nah seriously, that seems to be on the cheaper side of the going rate, especially for an all original. Get it!

Any idea if its’s 1 Meg pots or 250K? They changed over some time in ‘67. I believe the transition from Nitro to Poly also began around then too.

dotpc and uriah1 like this.
  3. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Silver? really need photos.

BopT and Smiff like this.
  4. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

For that price, if you're sure it's original and silver? Get it! But please do post photos for our pleasure but also to be sure!

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If it's been refinished, painted or missing bits, it's value is compromised. If everything t is original down to solder joints it's a deal

6. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Afflicted

I like silver. Makes me think of Robert Crays 1960 Inca Silver Strat.

7. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I haven't seen it for a few years, it's one of those "art of the deal" and timing issues. If he needs cash (I have it) that week, I might be able to score it.

8. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

The change from 250k to 1M pots was because a CBS buyer bought some bargain basement odd lots magnet wire, and it was either the wrong gauge, wrong length, wrong insulation, or all three. Tele pickups were made up of spliced wire of different gauge, lengths, and insulations. Therefore, they had to go to a 1Meg pot to help get that Tele sound back. The GM of Fender at the time, Forrest White, was livid. It was the second straw that led to him leaving Fender.

dotpc, RodeoTex and Smiff like this.
  9. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

That's the problem with corporate pinheads and beancounters making decisions they have no damn business making. They think they making business sense, while instead they are destroying the business.

Teleterr likes this.
  10. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

That is a great piece of historical background. Where did you learn about this. I had always read/heard that when CBS took over they increased production by 40% first year and just assumed they started ordering in mass quantities leading to several years of '66 pots into the late 60's and even early 70's. I don't know if all those pots were 250K's or 1meg's. I have '66 250K's in my '67 and '65 1Meg's in my '71. Go figure.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  11. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Forest Whites book on his time at Fender is a must read!

RodeoTex and pcasarona like this.
  12. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

IMO - Approx $5,000 to $7,000 in mint condition. I have a 68 that I bought new that year for approx $285.

Sure it isn't refinished ? Never ever saw one with that color in those years. Will probably go to 1/2 price if not original paint.

dotpc likes this.
  13. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I haven't seen it in a while, but it seems like it's all original and it's silverfish-blue.

It's a sweetheart guitar, but he's weird, sometimes I think he is going to give it to
    me and other times he thinks it's worth $12K, Go figure.

14. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Here is a 66-67 Fender custom color chart. The Firemist Silver Metallic might be it. Buck Owens and Don Rich played ones with that color. Some of the colors on the chart have darkened either from age or photo.
    [​IMG]

dotpc and XpensiveWino like this.
  15. pcasarona

pcasarona Tele-Holic

It would be very rare for an original Firemist Silver from '67 that still looked like Silver (or more accurately very light blue). Not that I've seen more than a few, but I don't think I've seen one that hasn't turned green with aging of the clear coat.

dotpc likes this.
  16. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I'll post a pic when I can. I seems dull silver/blue, cracked clear coat.

He's a different kind of cat, so I'm trying to play my cards right.

17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Well if that silver finish is original and the guitar is in good original condition than its value will be easily at least double that amount. His asking price would be about right for a body-only refin.

orangeblossom likes this.
  18. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I saw the guitar for the first time in a while today. I'm kicking myself that I didn't take pictures, but now he says it's a '69 and my observations are the following; the frets are really shaved, (he thinks it was used mainly as a slide guitar) and it appears to be blonde/butterscotch, with original white/mint pick guard. It's all there, and with original case too.

I offered him $3000 for it, a very fair deal.

It will need a fret job. He is getting older, he has told me for years that it's a '67. In all fairness, I thought I remembered it to be more silver.

His wife was screaming "take the money and run......!!!"

19. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

s-l225.jpg

The finish looks like this (pic I stole off of eBay) but no Bigsby on his......

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  20. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Any opinions on my $3000 offer for this guitar?

I know I blew it not getting pictures, everybody needs pictures....

dotpc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.