1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1967 Pro Reverb thoughts

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Nov 9, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've been playing around quite a bit with the 67 pro reverb I picked up and just had some thoughts, comparisons to my Tone King Sky King and some questions.

One thing I was afraid of before I picked up the Pro reverb was that it would be far too loud to get it to a good tone in my office and with no attenuator to tame it like on the sky king I feared I'd be subjected to thin bad sounds. The Pro reverb will be my only amp for a while till I find a vintage deluxe reverb as the Sky King is gone.
    Well I was relieved that I could actually get the pro reverb up to about 3-3 1/2 comfortably. My Sky King without the attenuators clicked, I could barely get it to 1 1/2 and it would be thin sounding. Although the Pro reverb seemed clean all the way up to 5 so definitely has more headroom. Not sure where it breaks up because up to 5 was far too loud to tolerate. I'd have the attenuators clicked about halfway before I could get a sound I was happy with. And the sky king always felt a little stiffer sounding which I was able to get sounding good with a Cali76 CD. The pro reverb in contrast has a lot more snap and natural compression which I'm able to accentuate a bit with the Kingsley Page set slightly driven. I'm currently running with out a compressor and I don't miss it.
    My first question, is how much might this have to do with the cabinet, Baltic birch ply on the sky king, solid pine on the pro reverb. Could this account for some of the volume differences. As well is the iron on the sky king a little bigger. I have heard that the output transformer on the pro reverb is smaller so I assume maybe thats why I'm able to turn it up more? Now whether its smaller than the sky king I don't know.
    The other thing that has me perplexed is the sky king is cathode bias and I assume the pro reverb is fixed bias (but not sure). So by definition the Pro reverb should be more efficient (louder) than the sky king? Whatever the case I'm pleased that I can get the volume up easily to 3-3 1/2 in my office. I imagine on stage I'll easily get 4 to 4 1/2.
    It seems the Pro reverb solved some issues I had with the sky king. The reasons I got rid of it, no matter how much I tried the lead channel was useless to me, Ultralinear mode was useless to me and the reverb on the pro reverb is far better. The one thing that always dissapointed me on the sky king was the reverb.
    As much as the Rhythm (blackface inspired) channel was sweet and lush what I'm hearing from the Pro reverb is far more sparkly\shimmery.
    Maybe I would have liked the version of sky king better when Mark owned the company as I know some changes were made.

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The numbers on your knobs are there to help you repeat settings, not because they have any other meaning. Most Bf fenders are at full volume from about 6 or so on up.

T Prior and suave eddie like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Too many words for me :lol: ....but If I have this right:
    -The Pro probably has original less efficient speakers. The beauty of those is they give a bit of grit and the amp isn't too loud.
    -The Pro is fixed bias.
    -Cathode bias has some... smoothness ... to it for lack of a better word. So yes, will sound different.
    -Try the normal channel in the Pro sometime, thick and meaty in comparison to the reverb channel.
    -If playing a Humbucker guitar, try plugging into input 2 instead of 1 and see if you like it..

TwoBear likes this.
  4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I only play single coil guitars (I'm strictly a tele player although now I'm contemplating another strat as I've heard clips on youtube of strats with this amp wow). I did try the normal channel and it was nice and thick. I liked it but I wouldn't use it without reverb. Not sure if there is any way to get reverb on that channel as well.
    I wonder if its possible to jump the 2 channels together like I did on a 65 bassman head I had.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

There is a way to rout your reverb through the Normal Channel and use it as a reverb control. With that you have tone adjustment on your reverb.
    I cant remember if the Pro's channels are out of Phase, I think they are though, but someone else will chime in.

6. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Yes far as I know and remember all of the twin, super reverb, basically push pull two channel offender stuff is all out of phase but I think it's just one wire move and maybe a cap change, maybe just a wire move or maybe a wire jump I mean. If you Google it it's pretty simple. Yes ever since playing my buddies black face pros I've been sold on them along with the Vibroluxes, and the silver faces as well. He also has a twe ed '50s pro that his friend found at the salvation army for a couple hundred bucks. It was UN molested when he got it as he rolled his car and brought it to me to clean it all up and get the glass out of inside the chassis.

7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Yeah I play the Bantam and they're also in phase, I always play it that way. I guess when you add in the reverb and tremolo, the signal that comes out for the second Channel exits out of phase with the first, so the tweeds and two channel blackface, and I imagine brown and blonde and whatever color as long as it doesn't have the verb and trem, and any others that people may fill in.

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Bantam?

9. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

I had a '66 Pro Reverb back in the 80's. I wish I kept it! I remember it being super loud and clean. Amazing reverb and tremolo. I didn't have good pedals like I do now. A crappy 1983 TS9 (LOL). I know, people say it's wonderful, but it was horrible with that amp.

Willie Johnson likes this.
  10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking a Boss BD-2w. alongside my Kingsley page

11. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Yeah it's in a size of a super reverb cabinet (I think the chassis is actually from around 64 or 66 I think) it's tube rectified 2 6L6 30 Watts! from around 1969 I think so silver face with corresponding grill cloth. They come stock with a strange trapezoidal Yamaha 30 watt speaker that has a styrofoam cone. It's basically the same board as they used with just a big empty spot in the middle and a wire running across, where the reverb and tremolo circuit would be. Funny to see on a schematic! I played super reverbs all my life but I just I'm not into lifting them anymore. I got a new baffle with a 12 and a 10 in this and I really love it. I played the super reverb so long when I sold my last one I actually think I bought this because besides it's sounding so good I just couldn't bear to deal with not seeing that familiar size around. After you sell your last metal panel and Plexi panel and checkerboard 4x12, 1936, pro...

golfnut likes this.
  12. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

golfnut likes this.
  13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Golfnut, yes, the Pro reverb as all other vintage two channel Fender reverb amps have channels that are out of phase. The effects can be applied to the Normal channel, and this puts the channels in phase. I like to mod one of the channels so as to have two very different voices...one BF and one hotter, tweedier sonic. Much can be done if so desired...and all of it is reversible.
    Where are you running your tone controls? For the lowest volume settings, push the tone controls up.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If you're in the market for a vintage Deluxe Reverb try to play it before you buy, at the volume you'll be using. I had a BFDR for 9 years, (still got it but it's charcoal now) that thing absolutely sucked until it was pretty loud. My other blackfaces, Princeton R, Super R, Bandmaster and Twin R, all sounded good at low volumes.
    Oh I did the bright cap thing, swapped tubes, swapped speakers, a Maverick helped but there was still something about that amp I didn't care for. I know a lot of guys love them, but there's got to be a reason you see so many "what speaker for a DR" threads. I've wasted a good bit of time on internet amp forums the last ten years and that subject comes up far too often.
    I was about ready to just sell the damned thing before the fire. I'm an amp hoarder, the only other amps I've got rid of in the last 20 years were two Vibro Champs, because they just flat suck too. So that gives some idea of my dislike for that amp, that I really wanted to like.
    For low volumes a Princeton Reverb is the way to go or skip the DR and use the bigger blackface amps.
    Obviously this is all just my opinion. Just hate to see you spend bucko bucks and end up using your Pro while another BFDR collects dust in the corner, like mine did for so long.
    Seriously I seldom used it.

golfnut likes this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

BobbyZ, I had a friend stop by with his latest acquisition a couple of years back...a BFDR with JBL in it. He was ecstatic about it. We plugged in and gave an ear. It sounded terrible. I plugged a different speaker in...still sounded terrible....thin raspy, unmusical. Then he informed me that another tech had looked at it and told him that the amp was,putting out 15 watts. I respect this other tech for his knowledge and experience and trusted that assessment. I asked my friend if that tech had suggested that the OT was compromised and that a new OT would bring the amp back to proper operation. He said that a new OT was not suggested. I told my friend that the OT was shot...it could be heard. It sounded nothing like a healthy BF/SF Fender reverb amp should have sounded. I have to think that the DR you,lost in the fire was such an amp...it had a compromised OT.
    Again, sorry for your losses in the fire.

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Little story:

When I owned my '68 Deluxe Reverb, our local ( and loved) DC-area amp tech was actually repairing an intermittent distortion problem with the DR that 3 previous techs could not fix, as the issue did not always present itself with amp,

( note: turned out to be cold solder joints and poor wiring causing the issue- it was diagnosed IMMEDIATELY by our friend w/o even turning anp ON, he just examined the chassis!- I watched him)

Anyway, as he had the amp at his shop for a few days, he emailed me, and asked me if ( for cheap $$) I might be interested in his ( completely reversible) ' half-tweed mod' to the Normal channel?
    This mod ( don't know the tech details) basically added midrange to the Normal channel ( maybe a little increase in Gain?, but not sure, maybe just a perception with added mids), AND enabled the Reverb and Tremolo to work on the Normal channel.

This was a great 'fix' as it would tame the DR's treble in really bright/reflective rooms ( no carpet/ all hard surfaces), and I could still get the Reverb and Trem.

Miss this amp!

17. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Blackface Pro Reverbs seem like a common "one that got away"; I had one for a hot minute before I returned it to the store for blown reverb tubes instead of having it fixed. Sounded amazing.

18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I think you have a good point. I am surprised how good the Pro reverb sounds at low volumes.

BobbyZ likes this.
  19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A 40 watt Pro would be my choice for a 2x12 amp.
    Big fat cleans and that THUMP you can feel in the soles of your feet.
    I had a 70 watt one for YEARS and could never figure out why everybody else sounded better than I did.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

@Wally I really don't think the OT was bad, that amp would peel paint off the walls cranked up and was definitely louder than the Princeton Reverb and my 6v6 Reverberockets. Never measured the wattage because it seemed plenty healthy. Just something about it that never really clicked with me until the volume pot was over about 4 and that was loud.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.