1967 Gibson ES 330 Headstock

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't think it's a Gibson headstock, at all.

1. Symmetry is way wonky.
2. Placement of the logo is too far to the left (middle of the mustache should be directly above the left edge of the "s".
3. I don't see any of the eight original screw holes, repaired or otherwise, for the original 3x1 Kluson tuners.
4. And, most of all, the logos on student models like 330s, 125s, etc. were gold silkscreened, not inlaid pearloid.

image.jpg

Last edited:

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
p.s. What is the serial number? It looks like 118187. If that is the case, that is a 1963 serial number.

As for the the internal model number stamp, that does indeed jive with 1967 since up until 1966 the model suffix was TCD (Thinline, Cutaway, Dual Pickups), when Gibson changed it to TDC thereafter.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
As others have pointed out, that gibson logo.... something is definitely weird there and, maybe it's just a picture oddity, but that neck looks darn narrow to me. I wonder if it could be a factory 2nd or something?

NiceTele

Tele-Afflicted
Looks like an entire replacement headstock may have been spliced onto the neck, if there was a bad break. Someone has copied the original headstock, but not made it well enough. That's my opinion anyway.

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
I'lll try math. A standard LP near me goes for about $1850 on average where I live on CL. The headstock break equivalents usually go for about $1300.

So, I'm thinking 20-30% value is diminished.

FWIW, You have a nice guitar.

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
For me, that headstock is messed up to make the guitar have basically no value. It's either:

A - had the face completely redone, badly, as part of the custom work
B - had the face redone with the custom work and the rear redone to hide parts of the break
C - a whole replacement headstock put on
D - some combination of A and B

It would need some major restoration to have have serious value, but I'm not sure that would be worth it for this particular instrument. If it plays good, and sounds good, and you like it, and your name is Larry, you're all set, but would be near impossible to sell.

Crashbelt

Tele-Holic
I love 60s 330s but this one has far too many issues for me. OK as a cheap player if it sounds and plays well, but very seriously devalued if you needed to move it on. Personally I wouldn't want it in the house with that headstock.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
That whole headstock looks wonky to me. The points aren't the same and the Gibson name looks off-center, and the Grover tuners are, I think, unoriginal.

Its a 54 year old guitar. You expect the headstock to be perfect after all those years? Of all of your gripes, only the logo seems to be an actual issue. If it's actually even off-center. Considering how many other vintage Gibsons have logos that aren't in the center, I'd call it a non-issue as well.

Last edited:

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Its a 54 year old guitar. You expect the headstock to be perfect after all those years? Of all of your gripes, only the logo seems to be an actual issue. If it's actually even off-center. Considering how many other vintage Gibsons have logos that aren't in the center, I'd call it a non-issue as well.
No worries. I was just commenting on the pics as presented.

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how 54 years would make the logo shift off center or the carve of the headstock change shape,

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I don't think it's a Gibson headstock, at all.

1. Symmetry is way wonky.
2. Placement of the logo is too far to the left (middle of the mustache should be directly above the left edge of the "s".
3. I don't see any of the eight original screw holes, repaired or otherwise, for the original 3x1 Kluson tuners.
4. And, most of all, the logos on student models like 330s, 125s, etc. were gold silkscreened, not inlaid pearloid.

I agree that the symmetry is way off and something is wonky here. But, FWIW, you can clearly see the upper Kluson holes on the back just at the top of the Grover body(s).