1966 Telecaster restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 6tzguy, Jul 19, 2019.

1. 6tzguy

6tzguy TDPRI Member

Hi, I picked up a 1966 tele body along with the original bridge pup, pots and 3 way switch. It's not really technically a restoration because I'm going to spray it Inca Silver and try my hand at adding black binding. It will have CIJ Canadian maple neck, double line Kluson tuners, a Seymour Duncan neck pup, black/white/black pickguard and a Bigsby vibrato set up with a 'vibramatic' in case I want to go without one. ANYWAY, I would like to know what size binding I should order (Stew-Mac) that would be appropriate.
    0.20 x 0.25 is what I 'think' is right. Any advise?????
    Thx, Bob

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I’m sorry I don’t have Input to help

I think the finished product will look great,but depending on the current condition of the body I bet 2 out of 3 tele lovers here will tell you to leave it alone.

At the end of the day it’s your guitar to do what you want with and it was only original once and that ship has sailed.

Have you thought about checkered binding like Buck Owens and Don Rich had on their custom teles ?

gridlock, Ripradiant, 6tzguy and 2 others like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

If you have to change the original finish get a pro finisher to do it, unless you're experienced.

Inca Silver is a great 60s colour especially if you get it done aged a little yellowed.

Skip the binding. Save that for when toy get a Custom Telecaster.

gridlock and Orpingtons like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Buy an aftermarket body and mess that one up with binding and whatever you feel like doing. Keep the 66 original as much as possible. With the ridiculous prices that CBS parts are going for now, it would behoove you to have two guitars in this case. My 2 cents.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Jerry J, gridlock, hdvades and 5 others like this.
  5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yeah, I'm on Team 'Why you wanna do that to a '66 body?' too.

Buy a cheapie from GFS or off eBay and practice your binding skills on that.

- D

6. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

Bob posts........."0.20 x 0.25 is what I 'think' is right"..................Bob...I have a Sunburst 70's tele, & the double sided binding is 1/4" wide [0.250"] but the thickness is some what less than say 0.065" thickness

So from this I am unsure where your binding dimensions are coming from?

Routing the body for a binding is a specialized task [especially around the neck pocket], as is the actual gluing of/in the binding process

Good luck... keep us posted with your progress......Derek

P1160023.JPG

Skydog1010, gridlock and 6tzguy like this.
  7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Binding looks really good when it is done well but it has to be said it is a time consuming pain in the ass
    The reason i say that is ..make sure you get them channels spot on to the depth and thickness of your binding always get higher than you need because if you have to sand any areas flush you will get thin spots which does not look good ...then you have to mask up the binding for spraying such a tedious job then there is the scrapping spot filling any defects etc
    watch out for sand through when you level the clear coat unless you roll them edges over
    make sure the binding is ABS the cheaper plastic stuff takes a eternity to melt in acetone and you will be needing some of that melted gunk to fill in any gaps
    but don't let that put you off some people love a challenge good luck

6tzguy likes this.
  8. 6tzguy

6tzguy TDPRI Member

Just to fill in a bit more info on this '66 tele. the original owner took a torch to the body in the late 70's (when he was playing country music)
    to give it that 'old barn look', I guess. So it looks like crap right now. Also, I'm a retired cabinetmaker with 40 years of wood working experience, so I have a plan. what I don't have is experience installing binding on a guitar, although I have done many 'inlays' with wood and feel pretty confident that I can pull this off. I WILL set up the router table using scrap to get the depth and height correct before running the body around it. My quest is to find out the proper thickness and height of the binding. Sorry this so wordy. Bob

Fretting out and StrangerNY like this.
  9. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

I rebound my original 1960 Custom Telecaster and here's a few thing I did. I'm sure there are many ways to do this with good results but this is what I did. I bought binding that was larger than what I needed and trimmed it down first with a simple razor box cutter and then used a box cutter blade 90 degrees to the body and scrapped the binding flush with the body. I scrapped both the edge and the face of the binding. I made the channel exactly the size I wanted. I forgot to add the thickness of the glue so that's why I had to scrape the face too. I couldn't find binding exactly the size I needed. I used an industrial heat gun to bend the binding before I glued it into place. With anything, try your techniques on some scrap before committing to the real deal. Here's a few photos! One more thought. If you're routing a body that hasn't been previously bound I would think you might run into trouble depending on how large the radius of the body is with needing to cut too deep into the body to clean up and remove the radius. Just a thought.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

cjp60........that was an excellent result.....may I ask specifically what type of adhesive glue you used?....that Sunburst finish to the back is so typical of a truly professional spray job

Derek

11. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

If you have an actual 1966 body I would forget about routing a channel for the binding... Even if you have a Fender replica, it's a very delicate task.

There's a rule of thumb in guitar building. There, where you put the extra ornament, is where the eye goes. If you don't do it perfectly you'll end up drawing attention to whatever mistake you made, no matter how small.

As for the color, Silver is a really cool color, but those metallic colors can be a bit tricky to apply. You need to be super careful with that.

12. cjp60

cjp60 TDPRI Member

Derek,
    Here's the glue I used. Got it from Stewart MacDonalds. Thank you for the compliments. I didn't do the painting. Gord Miller did the painting.
    [​IMG]

13. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't see how you'd ever be able to put binding on a standard Tele with the roundover. The roundover is deeper than the binding channel would need to be, unless this is actually already a Tele Custom body. Pics of the current state of the body?

cjp60 likes this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

COJ60s job aligns with what most real binders do including at Gibson based on vids I've seen. They use sharp wide bladed scrapers but the concept is the same. The binding is proud of the wood when glued, and then trimmed and sanded in situ. That is a great pictorial. Worthy of a sticky IMO.

cjp60 likes this.
  15. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Please don't do the binding. Keep the body as close to original as possible

Crashbelt likes this.
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Can you please post a few pix so we can see the current condition of the body? Otherwise, follow the advice given by others - buy a replacement body and do the work you want to do on that body. I screwed up a 68 Tele by refinishing it but that was a complete guitar. I have ever since regretted refinishing and then selling that guitar - it was beat to hell but it was a real player's guitar. That's my $.02 worth

lil scotty likes this.
  17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

This is the issue. Even vintage Teles have a round over if they are not bound. To be able to route that channel you would need to sand the round over out thus changing the size of the body.

Go ahead and refinish it but if you desire a bound body you would be better off starting fresh.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the thread.

I don't doubt the OP's skills or desire, but I'd practice this entire effort on a "dummy" body first. Plenty of donor bodies available for cheap. You might knock it out of the park & we'd cheer, or you could see what you're in for. We'd still cheer but put the '66 aside until you're sure.

19. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

I think a '66 body deserves to be rebuilt as it was, new. I think that's what I'd do if it were me. Don't get me wrong, it's entirely up to the owner, but I'll bet you'd be able to find a '66 neck somewhere. I'm not sure if Inca Silver was an optional color in '66. Not sure I've seen one. I did find an original bridge for my '70, so I think all the parts are out there.

20. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

The new fashion is relic'ed guitars.... leave it alone and buy a 60's -genuine - Fender neck rosewood or maple instead and you have a real heirloom!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.