1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1966 Fender Telecaster Buckaroos Endorsement Guitar

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by CWP0126, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Wow!
    Amazing to see all the positivity on here still by the usual haters . . .

The guitar IS a '66 Fender Tele with factory Candy Apple Red, Olympic White and Lake Placid Blue.
    I would only guess that a prototype guitar would maybe have some crooked paint lines etc kinda like any prototype, the log, snake head Fender's and earlier, Bigsby etc

2.Who else can you think of that used R.W.B guitars in the '60's

3. Yes I owned this guitar and traded it to Mike, the guy that has it for sale.
    I outbid him on it the 1st time, 20 yrs ago.
    The collector I got it from lived close & knew Doyle, & bought several of his guitars & basses.
    I'd known Doyle til' he died
    He drove the buss for Merle in the '90's off & on so I spent allot of time with him, as well as knowing him in Canada when he traveled up there before I moved to the states in '86
    We traded guitars back then when he still had his music store in Hendersonville Tn
    I traded him a '68 Paisley in '79 blabla
    Doyle had a '68 silver sparkle P bass I was trying to snake him out of at that time
    Regardless, I think he had a few "Buckaroo" endorsement pieces at home and his shop at that time.

4 There is no proof in pic's of any of em' playing this particular guitar.
    The ones in the pics that are out there are of the later '69 & up Fenders that Gene Moles painted for Buck & band. You can see those colors, are not Fender 'custom' colors.

So, Yeah, there isn't a paper trail on this guitar, nor, pictures of Buck Owens playing this guitar in public. So, ALL the TDPRI police are right!

That said, for the price he's asking,
    "I" think its fair or current in the collectors game for a historic Fender Custom Color guitar,
    even without Buck Owen's name in the equation. How much does a custom color custom Tele go for these days? Not what you wish or think it should go for. Here's 3 of em'

https://reverb.com/item/29776477-fender-telecaster-1967

https://reverb.com/item/28369967-vi...Q.ywj3gUkDWldMijFF2CkZ6_eb4Sic5dGuOSvVrm6aHiU

https://reverb.com/item/33048893-1966-fender-telecaster-custom-original-vintage-maple-cap

Carry on debunking and naysaying, and thank you,
    Redd

TJStone, hemmings, Matt G and 12 others like this.
  2. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Hey Redd- [says nothing, bows in awe]

Deeve and Redd Volkaert like this.
  3. Retrobob

Retrobob Tele-Meister

Super cool tele! No can afford.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Didn't realize I was one of the "usual haters". Or that I was associated with the "TDPRI Police".:)

Obviously Redd has given some provenance to a semi-historical guitar.

The original listing, as it stood. Seemed very dubious. Especially with the shenanigans the internet holds.

If Gene Moles made it and Doyle Holly, obviously did own it. Then that yields some historical value, granted. To command that price? P.T. Barnum comes to mind. Unless to have a personal connection to the former owner as did Redd.

I'd rather pay the price of any of the very fine examples that Redd posted over the meager attempt of a RWB Buckaroos model.

JMHO:D

5. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Gene Moles did NOT make this guitar, Fender did.

fernieite likes this.
  6. MonkeyJefferson

I'll take Redd, center square, for the block.

Deeve and tubegeek like this.
  7. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I keep waiting for a game of Hollywood Squares to bust out of one of my Zoom meetings lately.

8. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I do dig the standard Buck colors as opposed to the sparkles of the Japanese made Buck teles

daddyplaysbass and Redd Volkaert like this.
  9. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Me 3, and they're real Fender vintage custom colors too!

Stubee and MonkeyJefferson like this.
  10. SPUDCASTER

I said "If Gene Moles made it". And if Fender made it, I would say they screwed the pooch on that one. JMHO

Still would rather have any of the other ones you listed. Again, JMHO, regardless if Fender made it or Doyle Holly owned it.

I've personally seen guitars Gene and Eugene Jr. have made. I'm actually relieved that they didn't make this one. Thank you.

If everything is kosher with this guitar, great, I'm happy for everyone involved.

There was never any hatred or policing involved in any of my former posts.

A lot of people use the internet for devious purposes. A few red flags seemed raised until there was more confirmation.

So, I'll just leave it at that. So now you guys can get back to your "Hollywood Squares" game.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  11. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply Mr. Volkaert. I’m glad that you could verify that you used to own this guitar, and clarify it’s provenance. It’s good to see you here again, take care and stay safe!

hemmings and Redd Volkaert like this.
  12. MonkeyJefferson

Redd, I was raised by country pickers who liked to swing a little and get a little bluesy, and the minute I heard you many years ago and started really listening to your genius, and the fluid, encyclopedic way complex licks just flow from your brain stem, wel, it just gives us all a lift. I hope this message reaches you and your family, and that you're all healthy and well. Your art is a holy gift, and I feel very lucky to think you might read that, man. Thank you for getting struck by lightning or falling in the devil's well or whatever you did to sound like that, brother!

Redd Volkaert likes this.
  13. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Thank you Mister Monkey, I do appreciate that!

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  14. SPUDCASTER

And wasn't that really all we were after? ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.