1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1966 Fender Telecaster Buckaroos Endorsement Guitar

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by CWP0126, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Was there a Dutch flag connection, or just a simpler way to display red white and blue? Anybody released a re-issue or replica?

They imported those or had them made to order. Ive seen several Gibson fiddles over the years. Most were German, and pretty much the same Lyon and Healy type offerings.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Actually, Gibson built orchestral instruments, which is the main reason Gibson bought Epiphone in the 50's, to get the mfg facility to build bass violins, etc.. Those Gibson basses are fairly collectible.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So it appears you would have no problem shelling out that kind of money on a Red, Blond and Blueish Green guitar on just someone's word that it's authentic.

I, sir, would like a little more provenance that just his word. Let's hear from Redd himself. He hasn't confirmed the story. If he's watching this thread, I'm sure he'll chime in.

Buck, Don and Doyle can't respond.

By the way, I've met Doyle Holly and seen him play live. So I do know who he is.

Buying vintage gear, such as this example, is usually accompanied by some form of proof that the item is in fact genuine. Not just a story that isn't confirmed.

Until it's confirmed, don't get so worked up about people being skeptical until there's concrete proof it's what he says it is.:)

nojazzhere and dan1952 like this.
  4. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I'm with you. I'd need mucho provenance on this one.

RodeoTex likes this.
  5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Not "worked up" at all. And not trying to justify the asking price. I have no desire to own a 66 Tele, when most of the 66 Teles I've played were nothing to get excited about, with microphonic pickups and clunky necks. My point is simply that not a lot of provenance is needed to see that this guitar is what the seller says it is, not a Chinese fake, a partscaster, or some other evil plot meant to mislead the well-meaning rookies of the TDPRI.
    By the way, I can't post pics from my phone, but without working very hard I found 4 late 60's era pics of Don Rich playing what was then a RWB Tele, with a white pickguard.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Matt G, Redd Volkaert and Antoon like this.
  6. SPUDCASTER

This must have been the prototype. It's clearly not the guitar in any of the pictures I found of Don and his RWB. Look at the lines of the color pattern. The eBay guitar is different.

But, whatever, if the guy can get $16,500 for it good for him.

Still would like to hear from Redd.:)

Vark45, dan1952 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Why doesn't it look perfectly white under the pickguard? In CWPO126's captured photos/post # 6 it is grimy under the pickguard. That picture is no longer on the listing. Hmm.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    SPUDCASTER likes this.
  8. Buck@r00

[email protected] Tele-Meister

Former Buckaroo tele and steel guitar player Jerry Brightman's (RIP) had an excellent website

with a tribute to Don Rich. In it he answered question about Don:

One was:
    2. What can you tell us about Don's Guitars?

Don played Fender Telecaster guitars, and during my time with the band (1972-1976) always used the same guitar for touring and recording. It was a late 1966, Standard, with no modifications, standard pickups, and painted red, white, and blue by Gene Moles of Bakersfield, CA. He used Ernie Ball 9,11,16,26w,36w,46w in nickel gauge. He used a Fender Twin Reverb on most of the sessions without any effects or processors. In concert, the contract rider stated that the band was to be provided with Fender or equivalent amps. He used "Fender Thin" picks that either had a Don Rich or Buck Owens Studio logo on them and often gave them away at concerts.

3. What type of Fender amp did Don use and was there any modifications done?

Don played a 1966, original "Blackface Twin" with 12 inch Jenson speakers. There were no modifications to this amp.

Matt G and dan1952 like this.
  9. Buck@r00

[​IMG]

Could this be the one?

moosie likes this.
  10. SPUDCASTER

Compare the ones Buck and Don are playing to the pictures on page one of this thread.

Not the same guitar.

Look how even the blue section on the ones above are over the control plate. Look at how the red section in the upper bout is different near the location of where the neck heel connects to the body.

As Gypsy Jim brought up. Why is the section under the pickguard not still white.

It's possible the page one Tele was the prototype. Maybe? Did Doyle get it from Gene Moles. Did Buck or Don ever play/use that particular eBay guitar?

Calling Redd!!!

11. Buck@r00

[​IMG]

The lines do seem to be more parallel to the control plate and bridge.

Jerry said there were three of them. These two and one that he had.

12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I say we all dig deep and get generous when the hat gets passed, and together we can buy it for @Buckocaster51

CWP0126 and Buckocaster51 like this.
  13. SPUDCASTER

My guess is the eBay guitar may have been some sort of prototype. And not a very good attempt.

It may have been made by Gene Moles and sold or given to Doyle. But did Buck or Don actually own or play said guitar?

At this point, the eBay guitar "may" have been made by Gene Moles, Buck or Don "may" have played it and this guy "may" have acquired it from Redd.

Redd seems to be the only one to settle the issue. I hope for $16.5k, someone requires more substantial evidence.

The picture above, probably from early to mid seventies before summer of '74. Shows Doyle Sanger, Don, Buck and Jerry Wiggins. Not sure who the drummer is?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  14. Vark45

Vark45 TDPRI Member

Other than the wonky paint lines on the ebay guitar you also see a Fender decal on the headstock over the finish. If you look at pictures on line of the RW&B Telecasters being played by Don or Buck, or Doyle's bass for that matter, there is no decal on the head stock of any of them.

-Shawn

15. Buck@r00

Jerry Wiggins (with the camera) was the drummer. Jerry Brightman (steel guitar) is standing in back by the drums. Jim Shaw (keyboard) is far right

16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Before I bought it (not going to happen) I'd send a PM to Redd and ask him about it .

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  17. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Redd Volkaert , you out there? I can see what people are saying about the angle of the lines but with that much fading etc surely there can't be any doubt unless it was done by someone as a copy a very long time ago? Why is this script so big? No idea.

18. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I had a '66 Esquire (said that on the headstock anyway) back in the 80's which was one of the worst Tele's I've ever owned. As you said, clunky neck, horrible pickup, had the worst tone ever. Thinnest sounding Tele I ever had, absolutely no sustain at all, glad to get shot of it at the time, wish I still had it now!

dan1952 likes this.
  19. Picker2

Picker2 TDPRI Member

I agree

20. SPUDCASTER

You should buy it then.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.