1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gene O., Aug 17, 2018.

1. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Are there any cons to this production year? I don't have (and have never had) a DR and am considering springing for one that looks to be in very good condition.

2. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

My 1966 DR was my main amp for six years till I found a 1964 that was a little smoother sounding.
    I'd have no problems with a 1966 DR once again.

viccortes285, nojazzhere and Gene O. like this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Don't think so. That would have been in the time-period in which the CBS folks were basically just doing what Leo had done prior to the sale in '65, using up old parts and the like. If it's in good condition at a fair price, I'd snatch it up.

K1121, viccortes285 and Gene O. like this.
  4. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

That was one of my main concerns, whether the CBS takeover would come into play in a negative way.

Wat do you think a "fair" price would be?

viccortes285 likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

The Reverb price guide can be a little tricky, but of the four 1966 Deluxe Reverbs that have been sold this month, the final sales prices have been $1650 (good), $2450 (excellent), $2445 (very good), and $2995 (good). So the price ranges from $1650-$2995 in those four examples, with the two ends of the spectrum being listed in the same condition ("good").

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/1293-fender-deluxe-reverb-1966-blackface

You can also look at completed listings on ebay, but there don't seem to be any relevant "sold" listings for the '66 DR at the moment. There are 2 listings currently with asking prices of $3700 and $2995. The $3700 price is way too high, probably even if it's been untouched and sealed in a vacuum since '66.

I think I would top out somewhere between $2100-$2200 USD on a '66 Deluxe Reverb in excellent condition, and I would hope to get it for $2000 or just below. Others may have a better idea of the market at the moment.

viccortes285 likes this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

CBS didn't make many tweaks to anything Vibrolux Reverb and below. The wiring may have gotten progressively sloppier as we go through the 70s, but the circuits didn't get the changes like the bigger amps.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

As far as price, a short while back (20 years or so) a buddy came across a '65 or '66 DR in a pawnshop for $100.....that's right, I didn't forget a zero.....but it needed servicing and a tube or two. Oh, non-original speaker. (Celestion) That should establish a price point for 'ya.

Chicago Matt, thegeezer and BobbyZ like this.
  8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Should be a nice amp. Depending on the price, and the originality of the components.

9. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Good luck in your purchase.. As others have reported not many if any changes happened on the small amps..I'm sure you'll enjoy it when it happens!!

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There is no way of knowing what that amp is OT what it is worth until someone who knows what to look for sees it or some very good pictures of every aspect outside and inside.
    The first changes to the Fender amps after the CBS acquisition other than the cosmetic changes from BF to Sf in April, 1967 took place beginning in the summer of 1968. The first new circuit schematics are dated May, 1968.
    The AA/AB165 Bassman and the Pro Reverb circuit’s are dated for the CBS era but were in the works prior to the ownership change.
    There were changes to the smaller amps during the handwired era, but the changes were not as drastic as with the larger amps. The Ibrolux Reverb was the only 6L6 guitar amp not to get the MV and UL treatments. It and the DR got the pull-boost. All of the amps got the cab changes circa 1970 to the glued in baffleboard, iirc.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    BobbyZ likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

66 is a great year.

nojazzhere and dannyh like this.
  12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

I need to expand my search into 65 & 66. The one 66 I had looked at was way over priced. "Considering" doesn't mean I'm hot for one and will jump on the first one I see. And how does a $100 pawn shop buy from 20+ years ago gonna establish a price point? :confused:

Chicago Matt and dan1952 like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

65-66-67 BF.. doesn't matter. ~67-68 SF same as black face. I think the DR was one of the last to make any changes after the BF period. There continue to be bargains around. My buddy in Louisiana bought a BF for $1250 last year. Drove to Texas to get it IIRC.

dannyh and Gene O. like this.
  14. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Of course, it means nothing for you. Any number of people could recall scoring amps or guitars before the vintage bug hit, and sellers knew little of what they had.

Those days are gone; now everyone thinks their amp is a retirement fund.

kookaburra, Chicago Matt and Gene O. like this.
  15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I've owned a 1966 Pro Reverb and Super Reverb. Still have the SR. STELLAR amps.

So to answer your question, no.1966 was a great year for Fender amps. That said, a 1965 will be worth a bit more due to it being pre CBS. It'll say Fender Electric Instruments instead of Fender Musical Instruments on the front. IMO, zero reasoning for the price difference. Collectors like pre CBS, thinking Leo Fender personally had more QC than big CBS. News flash, Leo wasn't the guy on the shop floor soldering amps, not in 1965, 66, 67, etc. The same folks doing it in 65 were doing it in 66 and 67 etc with the same parts.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Just be sure to check the amp out well, get pics of the circuit board, check date codes on the transformers.
    Non original things like changed transformers will greatly affect the value. Not uncommon for speaker to be changed on older amps.

17. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Cons? It’s a 1966 Deluxe Reverb. That’s all you need to know.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

All I can say is that I wish I hadn't sold mine. I'd be gigging it every time I play out if I did.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  19. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Correction: I need to expand my search from 65 to early 70's.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I've never owned a Deluxe Reverb. Not even a reissue. I l9ve Fender amps, love 6V6s, and currently gig a 22 watt 1x12 amp that I run a reverb and tremolo pedal with! What's my problem!!! Every Fender I've owned has a bright switch, tgat I can turn off. The DR doesn't. I wouldn't buy a vintage one then put one in or clip the cap unless it was players grade. I would get a Vintage Sound or Allen though.

kookaburra and Mike Eskimo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.