1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1965 Vintage Deluxe reverb wow

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Nov 5, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've also played through the 64 custom deluxe and that would do it for me as well. For the price of a new one here in Canada I thought I could get a decent vintage 65 for the same price but it doesn't appear to be. Theres a 1968 drip edge on Kijiji for $3,500 Canadian, the same price a 64CDR sells for here in Canada. It has no footswitch and very noticeable wear on the tolex.

2. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sorry I wasn’t clear enough, I am referring to a 1964 Deluxe Amp not the newer reissue.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    golfnut likes this.
  3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I just noticed the sellers pic of the tube chart. Does that "Production # 6 refer to the amp being the 6th off the line for 1965? If so, is it possible the seller is attaching some value to the fact its an early 1965 deluxe?
    I've messaged the seller asking for date codes and some gut shot pics.

4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Response from the owner concerning my request for date codes and pics. Would a collector even buy this amp with out cooperation?

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never read or heard an explanation for that number. However, I have never seen a number there that was not a single digit. I certainly have not seen a 4 digit number, and to be a serialization number for the amp’s place in line for the year that number would have to be a 4 digit number.
    Also, IF that production number was indicative of the ‘place in line’ so to speak, there would be a 1965 Deluxe Reverb with a production number as high as 3600. The proof of this is that the serial numbers for 1965 chassi range from A0300 to A03900 according to the most authoritative source.
    I have never given much though to what that production number means if anything. Was it the bench on the production line? Was it an employee code? I don’t know, but I don’t think it is a serialized production number.

7. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Well tomorrow I will be picking up a 1967 Fender pro reverb. All transformer codes check out and it looks very clean. Non original speakers, Weber Ferromax. One day I'll have a 60's deluxe but for now I have a Pro reverb. A little big but I do prefer 2X12.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  8. Wally

Get ready for a loud amp with those Webers. Congrats....

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes I figured. I'll be looking for an attenuator

10. Wally

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Among other things, I lost a 67 BFDR in a house fire, wasn't my favorite amp but it still sucks. When I get round to reusing the crispy Fender chassis that one might be something besides a DR build.

12. BobbyZ

Not being able to look inside an amp this age, and having to take the seller's word on originality, is like buying a vintage muscle car and not being able to look under the hood.
    Can't think of too many car collectors that'd do that. :)

Telecastoff1, jman72, Wally and 2 others like this.
  13. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I want to see the inside myself and not being an expert have everything Verified by a third party. The price $4200. that does seem high to pay, for that I could get a beat up vintage deluxe and a really nice guitar with a case and vintage twisty cable.

BobbyZ and Wally like this.
  14. BobbyZ

Yeah for that kind of money you want to go over it with a fine tooth comb!

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Canada - The Loonie is worth less.

16. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I've seen several cherry examples in the greater NY area for around 3k.

17. BobbyZ

I keep forgetting that. Been about ten years since I've been cross the border. Most of the time I spent in Canada the exchange rate was the other way around. The US dollar will likely be on the lower side again, next time I get up there.

18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes thats why I posted the price in US as well which is where the $4,200 comes from. $5,500 Canadian. Usually in Ontario here I see great examples of a 1965 Deluxe reverb for around $3,000 Canadian with $3,500 Canadian. being the very top of the price range. That would be approximately $2,300 to $2,700 US

BobbyZ and codamedia like this.
  19. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Yes it is! We get ridiculed a lot.. but it is a great city, especially for culture & the arts. Ma's Corral was open until about 10 years ago. It has such a long history here in Winnipeg I wouldn't be surprised to see it open again in the future. It's just a vacant (unused) room in the hotel right now. I've lost count of how many times I've played there myself.

Those are similar prices to what I see here in Winnipeg. 3K CAD is generally the top end price here... usually they move for about 2.5K CAD.

golfnut likes this.
  20. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Production #6 means just what it implies: The 6th batch of blackface Deluxe Reverb amps built.

Here's a Deluxe Reverb tube chart from August of 1967; production run # 32. I believe the August '67 tube charts were the last to get ink stamped with the two letter code.

[​IMG]

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.