1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1965 Vintage Deluxe reverb wow

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by golfnut, Nov 5, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Ok Just wondering if $5,500 is the going rate for a vintage 65 deluxe now? Thats about $4,200 US. Or is this guy delusional. It wasn't more than a year or so ago I'd see something like this for $3,500 ($2,700 US)
    I'm looking for a Deluxe reverb but at this price I'm not sure how much it would have over a 64 custom deluxe reverb to Justify being $2,000 more.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-amp-pedal/c...ender-deluxe-reverb-mint-condition/1533377164

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's real clean and, yes, near mint condition. I would think that would sell for between $3,500-$3,800 USD.

I, personally, wouldn't pay that price.... but someone may. If I had to have another Deluxe Reverb (I sold my original '65 for $2,200 in 2018) I would go with the hand wired '64.

Treehouse, Cali Dude and thunderbyrd like this.
  3. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

:lol: Thy cork runneth over

smoothrecluse and 39martind18 like this.
  4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Crazy overpriced.

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Egad. Roll your own for much less.

Treehouse likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

People ask sky high prices on the internet and hope for the best. Ultra linier silverfaces and Super Sixes priced around $1,000 are getting to be common sight. So if the least desirable vintage hand wired Fenders are "bringing" that much, obviously the real blackfaces have to be "bringing" more.
    I don't know maybe people are paying it. But you start talking $4,200 for a BFDR and you're getting into tweed amp territory. That thing better be a real gem. Of course it doesn't help that a BFDR was my least favorite blackface amp, outside of a Vibro Champ.

7. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 Tele-Meister

I have a silverface DR, I believe it's a 67 or a 68, somewhere in there. I used to have the receipt for it from when my grandpa bought it but it was lost in a house fire.

Anyway for the longest time it was just another old amp but for some reason Deluxe Reverbs have taken on this kind of mythical quality over the last 15 years or so, at least that's the way it seems to me. I'm not sure why. I guess as they become more and more "vintage" people just assume they're great?

I mean it's a good amp, don't get me wrong but I don't get the reverence for them personally.

8. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Never saw such a high price on a blackface Deluxe reverb. I payed my ‘65 original Deluxe reverb 3000$ canadian.

9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I had one in nearly the same mint condition and I got $2800 for it.

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'd be willing to pay $3,500 Canadian for it ($2,700 US). I don't know if its worth calling him to make an offer. He'd probably just get pissed off that I'm trying to lowball him. Usually I just quietly pass when I see something I want thats obviously priced way too high.
    I don't mind waiting for one to come along thats a little less than pristine that is priced a little better.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Regardless of the asking price, the seller does not reveal details that are necessary for top flight marketing. Yes, it looks clean from what we see. What we don’t see is at least as important as what you do see. The last two BF Fenders I saw that were that clean and original from the outside had been totally reworked on the inside...all new board component s and all new pots on the front panel. First rate work....and they were no more than excellent player grade amps. The buyer lost perhaps $3k on the pair...unless he passes them on without full disclosure. These things are not ‘gift horses’, so look them over closely. Buyer beware as always.
    As for the price..old sayings....you won’t get it if you don’t ask for it, and you can always come down but it is very difficult to go up.

12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes I did find it quite odd that he had no gut shots, no tranny codes any other relevant information. He wants potential buyers to call his phone. I'd rather have some more info before I took it to that level. I don't really want to get on the phone for a big sales pitch as to why this deluxe is worth more than no other.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Seller is delusional...
    I'm also from Canada and have never seen one listed anywhere near that asking price.

Then again... seller is in Toronto, I'm in Winnipeg. For the US people here, that is like comparing the markets between New York City and Omaha Nebraska! :p

Jared Purdy and INFANT like this.
  14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

As long as it all checked out as original and is pristine inside as it is outside and the price was $3,500 I'd pick it up today. I'm just unwilling to get in to a conversation where I'd be accused of " offensively lowballing". Normally sellers will build in a few hundred to account for some negotiation but does anyone expect to have that much wiggle room?

Winnipeg is a fine city. I played at Ma's Corral for country music week back in the mid 80's. The club probably isn't around anymore but it was a nice place. Had fun that week in Winnipeg.

codamedia likes this.
  15. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Are you a collector? Then may be worth it, depending on originality. Sure looks clean enough.

If you just want to play guitar through the thing, though, the Allen Accomplice is half that price brand new and arguably a better amp. It doesn't say Fender on the front, true, but it'll do everything a Deluxe Reverb will do for a couple of trouble-free decades. Except tremolo -- and you can do that with a pedal.

16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I owned an accomplice (and an encore) and I have to say that the accomplice was nothing like a vintage 65 deluxe reverb that I played a couple years ago (and should have bought).
    I played a Brad Paisley silver tele through it and it was just an amazing, magical warm tone. Yes the accomplice is more flexible but I don't think it nailed that vintage deluxe sound. At least not in the experience I've had.

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

he's delusional. Just sold my 65 BFDR this year. I got $2400 on CL fast after trying higher prices. Non original speaker and many non original electronic parts. Still had the blue caps though. The Fender OT was a couple years later than 65 though.

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Allesandro sells DRRI's converted to point to point for not crazy money. Would be a great gigging amp I imagine.
    SFDR are great also and less money. Pre ~70 they are BF inside. After '70 there isn't much difference anyway.

There's a real 68 drip edge which are BF inside on Reverb for $2175.
    73 SF for $1450 or so.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    David Barnett likes this.
  19. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

imho, schmee, you got all if not more than I think that player grade amp was worth. That sort of price for a player grade will push excellent condition and all-original examples through the roof, ime. The non-original OT alone cuts the value from exc/all orig by 50% in my world, and the non-orig8nal speaker bolsters that reduction. Ommv....but a serious collector...and that is who drives the top prices....would not even consider such non-originality.

20. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I paid $1800 for my 64 Deluxe Amp about five years ago. It is equal to the hype but I just can’t see over $2000.

Unless you just have to have it I would wait until some level of sanity returns.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.