1965 Gibson ES-335 versus Delta baggage handlers

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mrboson, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Us guitarists KNOW to always trust that feeling of dread when something is about to go wrong...

Not that handlers understand.

3. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad they didn't show the gory bit......:(

4. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I had a bad feelin' when I clicked on this.

5. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

They said they were sorry...

6. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

I have to admit, I'm feeling a bit nauseous.

7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

yep that hurts

8. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

My daughter flys with the acoustic I built her, if it were destroyed it would hurt, but not financially. This is why they make Epiphones. :(

9. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Taylor Guitars can fix it.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

It's also why they make flight cases.

11. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Ok, my heart goes out to this guy but really, traveling with a vintage guitar? Sorry but that's not exactly all that smart. I have to agree with Maricopa on this one.

12. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

It's also why they make flight cases.

That too, using the standard chipboard Gibby case was not a good move. Hope he had instrument insurance.

13. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Wait, Delta breaks guitars too? I thought it was United Airlines that breaks guitars.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Fault is totally on the guy - what an imbecile.

I almost don't believe this is real or is somehow a set-up.

No one is that stupid.

(Also : I had use of a 1966 ES-335 for 2 years and while the humbuckers were unbelievably stunningly great, the necks are really wonky. Goes from a twig to a log in 3 frets ! :lol:)

15. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Is the airline 100% responsible? I think not.

Does the owner of the guitar bear some responsibility? I think... maybe.

Listen, would you check a Faberge egg at the terminal? What about a valuable painting? I think there has to be some common sense as to what you'll check as luggage. You can't just check anything and everything and then point to the airline when the outcome with a high probability actually happens.

I read some of the YouTube comments and it seems that he tried to carry it on the plane and was denied, so he "had" to check it. Nope - sorry - you don't "have" to check it. I'm not sure what that guitar was worth... depending on exactly what it was... probably between $5k and $10k. Probably not the smartest thing in the world to check that as luggage, in an industry where avoiding damage is a crap shoot.

I would not be surprised at all if there is some small print disclaimer when you purchase a ticket, that there is an expressed limit to the value of a damaged item which the airline is willing to accept. And it makes sense.

Yes, the airline is at fault.

And from the limited information that we have here, I would suggest that the owner of the guitar is at fault too. Not for directly causing the damage, but for putting his valuable possession in the way of probable harm.

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes I too think why would anyone travel with a guitar of that value packed like that?

17. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Here's another case (two guitars) posted a few days ago on another forum I visit:

"I was excited to pick up a Gibson acoustic today while I was in 30th St Guitars in Manhattan. It's a very nice used Gibson J-165 in sunburst--a great small-body version of the J-200. Good price too. So I carried it with me through security check-in at the airport. But as I get on the plane the flight attendant refuses to put in the closet, insisting it needs to be gate-checked. I changed planes in Philadelphia and when I checked on the guitar the top was severely cracked. From the looks of the crack, the guitar was likely dropped from the baggage hold directly to the tarmac. What a bummer! So when I finally get to Rochester I'm filling out the damage claim while my son watches for my Telecaster, which had gone through checked baggage ($25). He brings it over and the end of the case is cracked. The Tele inside is fine--I always say, travel with a Telecaster--but the case is toast.

I'm going to go through the usual procedure and see how much of this I can get US Air to rectify. I will begin the process being hopeful, though like many of you I have read the horror stories others have told about similar problems. I will post my dealings with them on this thread but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. So far, then, I have filled out the damage report and submitted an online complaint. I am promised a response within 2-3 business days, so we'll see. This is a matter of principle for me and I can be quite tenacious in this kind of situation. Why do I suspect I'll need all the tenacity I can muster?

These kinds of damages are such a waste. To damage a fine guitar out of carelessness or some other form of incompetence--it really should be grounds for dismissal but that won't happen. One guitar damaged could be a mistake; two guitars damaged suggests a pattern."
    end quote
    I find it so odd that so many passengers bring on large luggage bags as carry ons ( I swear some of them have several) but someone who has a delicate item can't. I would not even attempt to carry on a full size guitar. Maybe my 3/4s Martin.

18. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

It's a poor decision by the guy with the guitar...

On the other hand, why is it that baggage handlers can't figure out how to not break guitars?

19. promagnum

promagnum Tele-Holic

It's the guy's fault?

What if someone accidentally left their garage door open, and come to find out their car was stolen? Was it the car owner's fault?

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^

If the keys were in the ignition and there was a sign in front of the house that advertised all that - sure.

Like I said - it's hard for me to believe that's not a set-up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.