1965/66 Tele restoration questions

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 6tzguy, Aug 6, 2020.

1. 6tzguy

6tzguy TDPRI Member

3 things....

1) the "original" bridge pup has a brass gounding plate with 2 plastic (one yellow, one black) coated wires, flat poles. The tone pot is dated 6545 audio and the volume pot is dated 8143. The original owner had work done on it in 1981, so I'm guessing that the pot was changed out and the tech thought maybe something like "lets put a new bridge pup in since the original is so old"?
    Back then there wasn't much concern for originality, it was just an old guitar to most folks. ???

2) I'm thinking of painting it Inca silver with black double binding and a black pickguard, chrome hardware and possibly a bigsby with a vibramate ( no holes ) adapter.

3) what are your opinions on the the pickup and the color scheme, etc?

Thanks,

6tzguy

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Are you aware that refinishing an original finish body cuts the value of a vintage guitar by more than half? Adding a binding makes it even worse.

GPoint, koopus, Henley and 1 other person like this.
  3. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of painting it Inca silver with black double binding and a black pickguard, chrome hardware and possibly a bigsby with a vibramate ( no holes ) adapter.......

That's not a restoration, that's??????! In England we have a phrase. Show us some pictures and I'll take my words back.

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Also, I don't think you'd be able to properly add binding to a guitar that already has the body roundovers in place. Not sure how that would work at all.

koopus, Henley and Danb541 like this.
  5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I doubt it would work without shedding tears and they certainly would not be tears of joy

Maguchi, koopus and Biffasmum like this.
  6. derekwarner

derekwarner Tele-Meister

Would not a 65/66 Tele have one black & one dirty white coloured woven cotton coated pickup internal wiring, over plastic covered wire?......

"according to duchossoir,......

"beginning in 1968, they were gradually replaced by plastic coated wires"

6tzguy likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Holic

You don't want to paint it or alter it unless it is to restore the changed out parts with period correct parts. Otherwise you will take a beating on resale. It would be like painting an old Martin from the 50s. If you want to paint something, paint something 10-20 years old.

GPoint, Maguchi, mojo filters and 3 others like this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Especially if it is a 65, that’s a rare tele

You don’t see a lot of them

I think fender was busy with the surf market at that point

Concerned about holes from the Bigsby but not concerned about routing for binding

No way would I add binding if it doesn’t have it already

Maguchi likes this.
  9. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Pics would be nice. Is the finish original? Unless the finish isn't original, I would strongly suggest you do not refinish it. as for adding binding to it, that would A. be impractical because the body already has a roundover on the edges, and B. would be a cardinal sin to do to a vintage guitar.

Maguchi and koopus like this.
  10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The best way to refinish an old classic guitar that has some desirability is in the original color, by a well established and well reputed restorer, like Gordon Miller. No, not MJT; they do nice relic work, but they aren't the place to go for a true restoration, as they come nowhere close to adhering to accurate vintage specs and procedures in their process. You want someone very well known, who specializes in true restoration, like Gord, Dan Erlewine, or the actual Fender Custom Shop. Restore it with Fender Pure Vintage parts or the parts you have now, and slowly track down proper original replacements over the years.

And no, don't add binding. If you want Inca Silver with black binding and a Bigsby, there are 1,000 better ways to get it than by irreversibly modding an early CBS Fender. It's a dumb move; don't do it. If you don't want the guitar as it is, sell it off, and I am sure it will fully fund whatever custom build you have in mind...and that that guitar will probably be a better built and longer lasting instrument, made exactly to spec.

Let's see it. What kind of shape is it in?

The roundover has zero effect on the ability to do, and ease of doing, routing for binding. On a Strat, it would (as would the contours), but not on a Tele, with its very small roundover and slab body.

11. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Pickup could be anything a pic would help.
    The color scheme sounds very good.
    Installing a bigsby with vibramate is difficult.

The first question that springs to mind is: Do you normally destroy the value of the things you buy?
    Even if it's a refinish adding binding and changing the parts isn't a good idea.
    If you like the neck get a replacement body and keep the old one as it is. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Maguchi and billstyler like this.
  12. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I had to check the calendar real quick to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

OP. you can't be serious. It would be easier to buy parts build a new guitar. Route the body for binding?

Maguchi and billstyler like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

It sounds like a late 60s or 70s Fender replacement pickup with those lead colors. Way back when I bought one new in a poly bag.

6tzguy likes this.
  14. 6tzguy

6tzguy TDPRI Member

I'll try to address everyone's concerns in 1 response. I must warn you to be sitting down. The photos are quite shocking. Story: My friend got this butterscotch (?) dec. '65 early '66 Tele for his 18th birthday in early Dec. 1965. I just got it a year ago and have decided to (you're right restore is not the correct word, but I don't know what else to call it) it. In the early seventies he decided to have a hacker put a humbucker in the neck position. Apparently, he like that setup so much that in 1981 he had another humbucker put in the middle position. At that time he was playing in a country band and he decided to take a propane torch to the front and back. Still standing? The only way for me to get rid of the 'burnt' finish was to build a routing jig that with a plunge router I would make as many passes as neccessary to remove the burnt wood off the top and the bottom as seen in the 'after' photos. This did eliminate the curved edges. My plan is to plug the humbuck holes, etc and reskin the top and bottom with 3/32" solid ash and reroute the front pup area and wire channel, then refinish and double bind it.
    IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0988.jpg IMG_0988.jpg IMG_1072.jpg IMG_1073.jpg

Attached Files:

SweetClyde99 and Boreas like this.
  15. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yeah, I think at that point, it's "do whatever you want time" as there's really no value there.

Nelg and SweetClyde99 like this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Woah... that was a mess. Assuming you're doing it for sentimental reasons, IMO you're on the right track. Carry on and you may bring it back to life.

17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Personally I would refinish this in blond. I would Not fill the pickup routs with wood. You would be surprised how much filling will affect the body resonance.

GPoint, Maguchi, Danman and 2 others like this.
  18. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Backpedaling pretty rapidly! Best of luck and may the force be with you!

Fretting out likes this.
  19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I really don't find that too shocking, or anywhere close to unfixable. If you have the rest of the guitar (i.e. the original neck and hardware), and it's in fair condition, I would still restore the guitar. A top notch resto, and the thing will be worth about half of what an EX condition player would be worth. Half its value is still a lot of money, and it'll only go up in the long term...and be a great player in the meantime.

I would make clean, straight sided routs with right angles over the non-stock hogged out areas. Plug them all with ash, and level the entire body through a planer then a plane sander. New ash veneer top to make up for the planed thickness. More plane sanding to final thickness. Rout edge radius. Rout cavities as original. Then restore in the solid color that is closest to the original color, which would be Oly White. Take note that FUllerplast should be used as the filler and sealer, and that Oly White was sprayed with acrylic color coats and nitro clear as a matter of course – not all nitro. It's worth it if you have most of the rest of the original parts for the guitar.

It might look ugly, but the restore would not actually be that horrific to perform.

If what you have shown us is all you have (i.e. no neck)...then it's worth no more than a brand new Tele body, and hack away.

The best way to have taken off the burned wood wood have been with a plane sander...but it's too late for that now, and it doesn't matter much anyhow, since you need to plane sand, plug, plane sand, veneer, and plane sand again to restore anyhow.

6tzguy, Henley and Fretting out like this.
  20. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

Hehehe. I love this thread. Yeah, after all that the value is already gone so do what you want to make yourself happy. If you need help I'm in Garden Grove, and kind of did what you are doing on a 1964.

6tzguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.