1964 Fender Deluxe (Non-Verb)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dannyh, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

As you probably know, non-verb Princetons and Deluxes are some of the best pedal platforms out there.

A higher-end dirt/distortion/overdrive pedal can be pretty inspiring thru those things as well.

dannyh likes this.
  2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Cleans up pretty good... 12.5 IMG_8802.JPG

BobbyZ, lewis, King Fan and 2 others like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's super-cool - still got some aged patina about it. Lovely grille cloth.

dannyh likes this.
  4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice amp. I changed the filter caps in my 64 Band Master (pic of old ones) One thing I wish I did was lift the whole FC board in one piece and make a new one one for the new caps just in case I sell it some people what everything original. Probably will put the old one back on the original board I have a new board I made already. When I changed mine someone had a post where the hollowed out the old caps and put new ones inside the tubes to retain the old look, interesting idea. I also replaced the cord on mine and did the research on the correct method . I might put the old caps back in mine they look good, tested pretty good one was off a little.

Attached Files:

dannyh likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

100% yes. Those things are really nice.

And as @BobbyZ pointed out, that rectifier you pulled out of there is a 5U4. The heater amperage is wrong, as he states. It makes me wonder whether someone is trying to keep the voltage down and went with a 5U4. Look into the voltages to see if something funky is going on there, and don't use that 5U4 with that amp. Go back to the spec GZ34/5AR4 or, if you need to lower the voltage a bit, use a 5V4.

BobbyZ, King Fan and dannyh like this.
  6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Appreciate the insight into the rectifier. I rummaged through my stash, I've got 3-4 old 5U4's and only one GZ34. Pretty sure it's still good or I would've chunked it but we'll check it out. I guess I'll add be adding another 5U4 to the stash.

Regarding the grey Japan filter cap, looks like the original went out with a bang, big stain in the doghouse cover.

IMG_8774.JPG

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I would replace every Capacitor and resistor in the the thing with the best quality I could find. Start fresh with electronics I know are going to sound good. If someone wanted to buy the old stuff and I could sell it with out going to to much trouble on ebay or craigslist. If they weren't gone in a month I would trash them. I would probably just trash them anyway. Keeping them is like collecting old used tires. If someone on here tells you to keep them offer to sell the caps to them so they collect dust in their house. The speaker I would do the same with. Get a good speaker wgs something like that next time you get the money. Sell the old one or trash it. If someone thinks old parts are worth money then they are worth enough to sell today. If not it's just junk taking up space.

8. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

I have one. When I got it someone had cut the bottom of the cabinet off to make it a head. I built a cabinet for it and have it matched with a 15 inch speaker. It is a good sounding amp.

I run mine on the clean side and it takes pedals very well. It tends to get a little loud if you are trying to get amp power tube saturation.

As for caps, about 2 years ago, my caps smoked on stage. I got them replaced and the amps sounds the same. I think the cap job was around $150.

Enjoy your amp.

dannyh likes this.
  9. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Great score. IMHO replacing all the e-caps shouldn't hurt the original tone and it might even improve the present tone a bit.

dannyh likes this.
  10. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

These amps are some of the best IMO. Enjoy!

dannyh likes this.
  11. Dacious

I wouldn't replace what doesn't need replacing, like resistors unless they're bad with the exception of grid resistors. Caps yes. But a good service by a pro with a 'scope' is a good idea just to be safe given it's history. It could have a blown o/t transformer leg if the cap exploded - you can't be sure it ever ran with the grey cap.

dannyh and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  12. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've got one and love it!
    Get it.

(Previous owner wanted a Boogie.) Deluxe v2.jpg

oldfish and dannyh like this.
  13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Yes....it's going to my regular amp Dr this week.

14. Dacious

Just I'm resurrecting an old 60's 6AU6/6AQ5 PA head, burst electro, done an o/t leg and redplating the other tube. S/hand transformer I was sold as 'good' same issue, swapped it to other side. Rewinds for both.....

Tranny winder said the old windings had weak spots due to corrosion but you don't want to risk it.

dannyh likes this.
  15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

"I would replace every Capacitor and resistor in the the thing with the best quality I could find."

Doing that will absolutely kill the value of this amplifier. Obviously you have to replace bad parts but on a blackface Fender that's normally just electrolytics. Maybe a few resisters like the ones on the tube sockets. But the coupling caps pretty much never go bad and replacing those devalues the amp. I've yet to replace one.
    If we were talking about an amp from 1950 then yeah it might need all those parts replaced.

dannyh likes this.
  16. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I plan on replacing all the electrolytics, beyond that if it's broke, we'll fix it, but I'm not gonna go replace everything just for the sake of replacing it.

BobbyZ and David Barnett like this.
  17. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I think that's a good plan. You can also ask your tech to save any old parts and give them to you, just to keep the original parts. Personally, I'd do this for everything except the filter capacitors.

dannyh likes this.
  18. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Buy it! I'm currently gassing for one.

dannyh likes this.
  19. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

Had a 65 deluxe for many years fantastic sounding amp and cant say I missed the reverb on this.Bought this very cheap as the cab was rotting along with the speaker so built a cab put in a 15in speaker and sounded great. compared with the 58 deluxe I had at the time the 65 had more headroom and a cleaner sound and very little noise hum.

dannyh likes this.
  20. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

It's at the amp doc now for a good going over. I stuck a Jensen neo I had laying around in it and we ran it for a few seconds through his lightbulb limiter. Definitely in need of work, but sounded pretty good, and the trem still worked great. Look forward to hearing it at full strength.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.