1964 Deluxe (non-reverb) barn find

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, I tried... with a GZ34, MY B+ is 425. Not bad at all.
The more I experiment with old tweed and bf amps... the more I like the way they sound with lower b+... at least to spec.
What is the current rating on the 125P23B ?
I dont know about the originals... but every replacement I can find has at least 3a for the rec tube heater.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This amp has a b+ of 415... I'm using that 5U4gb. What amp do you have st 460? Thats a bit much.
Every BFDR and BFD I've had has been above 450. I've had 5 in the last 15 years. My line voltage is pretty consistent at 121 VAC. These amps have been: 64, 65, 65, 67, 68 (all BF circuits inside) Rectifier is the GZ34. Afraid to use the 5U4GB and tax the PT.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Every BFDR and BFD I've had has been above 450. I've had 5 in the last 15 years. My line voltage is pretty consistent at 121 VAC. These amps have been: 64, 65, 65, 67, 68 (all BF circuits inside) Rectifier is the GZ34. Afraid to use the 5U4GB and tax the PT.
That is very high... this amp with a weber copper cap (wz34) I get b+ 423.

If I were you... if this amp was coming in that high (>450v), I would use a 5R4GB.
Should put you right at 420vdc and it only used 2 amps...

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
One more question... in 1969, when Fender started making silverface deluxe Reverbs... they switched to 5U4's. Did they switch power transformers? I dont think so. Silverface schematics still show the "125P23B"...?

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That is very high... this amp with a weber copper cap (wz34) I get b+ 423.

If I were you... if this amp was coming in that high (>450v), I would use a 5R4GB.
Should put you right at 420vdc and it only used 2 amps...
Yeah, I've used the 5V4 and have tried the 5R4. (I may even have a 5V4 in there now, I haven't really looked in quite a while. But I usually keep using one of the two Mullard GZ34's I have. They must be going on 55 years old now! :lol:o_O
The 5R4 seems to have more sag than I really want for the 5 piece band, but would be great for the duo...
The damn amps sound fantastic at 460 volts! I have the stuff to build a browner. Actually I bought 5 of the little tranny's for discount, thought I'd sell the rest for others to have.
I really need to get off my #** and build one!

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, I've used the 5V4 and have tried the 5R4. (I may even have a 5V4 in there now, I haven't really looked in quite a while. But I usually keep using one of the two Mullard GZ34's I have. They must be going on 55 years old now! :lol:o_O
The 5R4 seems to have more sag than I really want for the 5 piece band, but would be great for the duo...
The damn amps sound fantastic at 460 volts! I have the stuff to build a browner. Actually I bought 5 of the little tranny's for discount, thought I'd sell the rest for others to have.
I really need to get off my #** and build one!
Hey, if you like it, keep it that way.
Wasn't sure if you'd heard your amps at the spec voltage. In my experience, it thickens up the tone. There are a lot of options between different rec tubes or something like weber's copper caps... sure you could find one that gets your voltage down, doesn't sag too much and doesn't draw much current. But like I said, if you like it, leave it alone... but I think the 125P23B power transformer is fine for 3amp rec tubes.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Cool find, I also owned a ‘64 Deluxe at one time.

Congratulations, I’d also be all over restoring that amp.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Hmm... the tremelo was working yesterday, now its not. I tried swapping tubes. I also replaced both .01 caps with .02 caps (the trem also needed to be slowed down)... the roach is flashing, no variation in sound.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Depending on how clearly you can see that it's flashing, it may just be leaking light and need to be closed up. There are other reasons it might not work, but that's one you can fix with electrical tape.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hmm... the tremelo was working yesterday, now its not. I tried swapping tubes. I also replaced both .01 caps with .02 caps (the trem also needed to be slowed down)... the roach is flashing, no variation in sound.
I've had Fender Trems not work but visibly flashing. Often they will occasionally start working out of nowhere as you are playing, or they may stop suddenly. Most often I just replace it and it works. I think there's a resistor in there with the opti, maybe the resistor goes bad? It seems to rarely be any of those 3 capacitors. I'd put the stock ones back in into that amp.

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I'd also try multiple tubes there, not just one sub. That circuit likes some tubes a lot more than others.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I'd also try multiple tubes there, not just one sub. That circuit likes some tubes a lot more than others.
I have tried several tubes. One of which works in my twin as a vib. Tube.
I've had Fender Trems not work but visibly flashing. Often they will occasionally start working out of nowhere as you are playing, or they may stop suddenly. Most often I just replace it and it works. I think there's a resistor in there with the opti, maybe the resistor goes bad? It seems to rarely be any of those 3 capacitors. I'd put the stock ones back in into that amp.
Well, it was flashing too fast anyway. I upped the value of two of those caps to slow it down. (The trem worked at first, but it quit working before I changed anything. )

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I think it just need a new roach, I was just curious if anyone knew what kind of readings you are supposed to get on these things.