1964 Deluxe (non-reverb) barn find

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
That's a good project at a good price. When I was amp repurposing and building I was looking for those old
Fenders but never could find one except I managed to get a 1974 Pro Reverb Head. Thankful I found that one.
Have fun, take time and do it right. I like the idea of just cleaning and patching the cab as is but rebuild the electronics
back to top notch operation. Platefire

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'm surprised to see a particle board baffle in a Fender Elect. Inst. Co. amplifier. I didn't think they went to p-board until well into the CBS years?
Aren't all BF the high density particle board? All I have had have been. '64 and up. I have a '64 Pro (non rev) and '64 Deluxe right now, both are. I've made some from tight particle board from Home Depot that work great.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Aren't all BF the high density particle board? All I have had have been. '64 and up. I have a '64 Pro (non rev) and '64 Deluxe right now, both are. I've made some from tight particle board from Home Depot that work great.
I'm pretty sure every blackface I've ever worked on (some of which were
pre-CBS) had a particle board baffle... 1/2" with the 1/4" strips of 1" pine. But I wouldn't be surprised to see something else in one.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't seen any amp relicing services yet, but I'd love to have an amp that looks like it had been through the seventh circle of hell, but has brand new electronics in it.
I'd be glad to relic your amp. That may not be a bad idea... be the amp relicing guy.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Awesome @MrCoolGuy !!! Thanks for the updates! Man... that old Altec speaker is COOL! I've got the 12" version and it's a killer, seriously heavy duty, speaker. Santana's favorites back in the day, as I understand it ;) Can't wait to see how these babies turn out!

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Awesome @MrCoolGuy !!! Thanks for the updates! Man... that old Altec speaker is COOL! I've got the 12" version and it's a killer, seriously heavy duty, speaker. Santana's favorites back in the day, as I understand it ;) Can't wait to see how these babies turn out!
Yeah, many like those Altec's. I should try one in my 1 x 15 Pro!

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, it is a cool speaker. I wasn't familiar with them, but I've been playing my tweed deluxe through it. It sounds great, but it is an 8ohm speaker and the Twin wants to see 4ohms.
I am making a new speaker baffle so the amp can return to 2x12, but I'm sure the owner will find a good use for the Altec.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
So I made a new speaker baffle out of 1/2" pine plywood with 1/4"x1" strips of poplar. I figured pine plywood would last longer than particle board... but also not sound too different like baltic birch or void free ply... I used poplar for the 1/4" strips because I had some already planed to that thickness.
20220121_220346.jpg
20220121_223239.jpg
20220121_224638.jpg

And I was able to reuse the old grillcloth. I think it looks better than a new one.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The schematic calls for a 50V cap in the bias supply, but shows -55V in that circuit. Don't use a 50V cap.

I've had a '63 BF Deluxe-Amp since the late 1980s, I'll never part with it.

-55 or -35?

it looks like -35 to me, which makes more sense.

bias is very predictable.

I usually use those Sprague 50uf 150v caps for bias supplies like this. Or the F&T 33uf 160v... but im pretty sure the bias supply is -35v on this amp. I havent decided what I'll use.

Now this Twin, on the other hand... does have a bias voltage that is a bit high for the 25/50 cap it came with. I believe -52vdc? And dont worry, I'm aware.

View attachment 942562

Schematic shows -35 at the output grids, -55 at the capacitor.

View attachment 942564

I really don't understand why the bias supply cap value and voltage rating gets debated. You should choose good quality cap with a sufficient voltage rating. The value is practically irrelevant. I use the F&T 100/100 because it's readily available, good quality, and it fits perfectly on Fender bias boards.

It really drives me crazy to see stuff like this done because people think that a bigger cap value is somehow bad.

PXL_20210605_194303811.jpg

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I really don't understand why the bias supply cap value and voltage rating gets debated. You should choose good quality cap with a sufficient voltage rating. The value is practically irrelevant. I use the F&T 100/100 because it's readily available, good quality, and it fits perfectly on Fender bias boards.

It really drives me crazy to see stuff like this done because people think that a bigger cap value is somehow bad.

View attachment 944237
I use a lot of those f&t 100 / 100 (and sprague)caps too. Good size.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
So I got ask the new caps in... every resistor in the amp was still in spec, but I still replaced the screen grid resistors and grid stoppers.
I powered it up with the light-bulb limiter, no issues. After checking a few voltages, I powered up without the limiter. Everything was right. This thing sounds fantastic! I had to install some new power tubes... the old RCA's are just too far from matched, but they do work. My First reaction is that this amp sounds so different than a deluxe reverb... in a good way! Why cant I find an amp like that?

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
So I got ask the new caps in... every resistor in the amp was still in spec, but I still replaced the screen grid resistors and grid stoppers.
I powered it up with the light-bulb limiter, no issues. After checking a few voltages, I powered up without the limiter. Everything was right. This thing sounds fantastic! I had to install some new power tubes... the old RCA's are just too far from matched, but they do work. My First reaction is that this amp sounds so different than a deluxe reverb... in a good way! Why cant I find an amp like that?

That's awesome man!!! Congrats on the success! Are you calling it done then? Pics pics pics ;)

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yep, That's why I'm using my Non Rev Deluxe now. But plug into the normal channel of a DR and it's pretty much the same! Thicker sound!
What's the plate voltage running? All mine run at about 460 Volts! So be careful what power tubes you put in. I'll only use JJ's at that voltage. Dont ask why, but it involves burning up a vintage OT!