1963 Les Paul Jr.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
This is my 1963 Les Paul Jr. I've had it along time and it has gone through a lot of changes. I knocked the neck out of it in 1988 and put it in another body, which I later tossed on the burn pile. This body has been laying around outside in the junk pile until about 4 years ago when I picked it up and tossed a neck in it. Unfortunately the old mahogany body just couldn't take the stress. Stripped it again and gave it to a friend. He contacted contacted me today and said try to again so here we go.
20220528_120130.jpg
20220528_120117.jpg

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Wow
Just wow

I bet one could write a book on the history of that one.
I've got a picture of it with my 66EBO and my 72 SG. This was my 3rd Gibson and the only one I have left. It's cool still having it but I don't cry over the others. They served me well and brought me money when I needed it.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Here we go. Digging through the junk I've found the single coil from my brothers '63 Melody Maker. He pulled it out and put in some kind of hot
20220528_182430.jpg
replacement.
63 Melody Maker, 63 LesPaul Jr. I guess that's a match

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Here we go. Digging through the junk I've found the single coil from my brothers '63 Melody Maker. He pulled it out and put in some kind of hot View attachment 988237 replacement.
63 Melody Maker, 63 LesPaul Jr. I guess that's a match
I don't suppose there's a first generation Colt SAA taking refuge in that lovely pile of goodies?

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Is this the George Washington's Hatchet of guitars?

Also, what part of this was made in 1963?
The body is all that's left from the original Jr. My brother was working in a guitar shop when the Melody Maker came in, in trade. They immediately started changing things. Including scalloped the neck. I visited the shop one day and it was sitting in a trash can. Had some Schaller gears and a Leo Quan Badass bridge on it. I gave them $5 took it out of the trash can and took it. If you look at the back you can see the control cavity is cut up from trying to install a digital delay that I took apart thinking I could make something really cool. Destroyed that delay. Anyway later on I busted out the neck and installed it on a Les Paul style body. When I got bored with that threw the dam thing on the burn pile. Probably would have been better if everyone would have left that junior alone.