1963 Gibson Invader

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by crzyhors, Apr 7, 2013.

1. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

I'm EXTREMELY proud of the deal I got on this amp!!! $175.00!! Works great and is ultra quiet! No pops or crackles in ANY of the pots!!! Now to find some original Jensen speakers!

Attached Files:

2. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

WHY does this never happen to me?!?!?!?
    Great score!

3. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

It normally doesn't happen to me either!! I saw it on Craigslist for $250 and just made an offer of $175.... A day later I got an email telling me to come a get her! I am blessed!!

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Cool Amp. A friend of mine had one in 1968. Nine piece soul band, the amp had plenty of clean volume to balance with the drums, Wurlitzer EP, bass, horns. Guitar was an LP Std. Goldtop he paid $75 for. Great sound cheap, those were the days.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats on the amp. Is that a 10" inch in there on the right? Ime, a GA-30RVT should have an 8" speaker along with that 12". Soemoen may have changed that hole...or the pic may just make the 8" look bigger. Also, in that era, Gibsons more often had CTS speakers in them. You might prefer Jensens, though....vintage that is.

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

son of a *****. those old gibson amps are fantastic. I hope people don't start glomming on them too much before I get mine. great score, chief.

7. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

According to the year, the 10" speaker is correct. I also saw that ere was a version with an 8". I am quite happy with his configuration!!!

8. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

Here's the specs of mine

Attached Files:

9. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Nice!

10. Wally

crzyhorse, thanks for that spec sheet. I have two sources that keep that amp as a 12 + 8 arrangement....but then Gibson amps are hard to pin down adn therefore it is hard to find information sometimes....and obviously those two sources are in error. The only GA-30 I have owned was fromt he early '50's...with the 12 + 8 arrangement.

11. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

Well, I believe they evolved. Some models don't have both reverb and tremolo, too. All I know is I dig it!!! LOL

12. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

Just... An amendment to my post... After further research, this is a 1964... Not 1963. The 1963 did not have a midrange knob.

13. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I once played a '56 CS Strat through a similar vintage Gibson amp at Elderly. I should have bought both on the spot, I haven't sounded as good since.

14. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

Congrats on the purchase! I just bought a Gibson Hawk 25 RVT off of eBay for $200. I got lucky bc no one was bidding! It has a Fender speaker put in it. I'm interested to see how it sounds. Should be in next week. Noticed you are jumpering yours. How is that sounding? Mine I believe is a 1x15 (or if I'm lucky 1x12). Gibson was kind of all over the place with changing things on their amps without warning.

Attached Files:

15. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

Yes, the jumper allows you use the effects on the hotter channel... But it seems to lose a little gain.... And the effects don't seem as strong, but still sounds amazing! tone, Tone, TONE!!!!
    Good luck with your purchase! I'd be interested in knowing how it sounds!!

16. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

I will make a post once I get a chance to play it thoroughly! I have a supro clone right now and I didn't like jumpering it. For 12 watts, it already breaks up fast so I liked the clean headroom that was naturally available. I'm a big fan of tremolo so I'm excited to hear the trem on the Gibson! I hear its great. I found out it is a 1x15. My only other experience with a 15 was the excelsior which I found to be way too bright. Could have been the circuit and not the speaker though.

17. Wally

crzyhrs, since you noted that there was a loss of volume when daisy chaining those channels, I took look at the controls and the schematic.
    Those channels may well be out of phase....and therefore the signal is being cancelled to some extent by that out of phase situation. This happens in all two channel FEnder REverb amps...except the Custom Vibrolux REverb, whihc has the extra gain stage in the reverb circuit in both channels.
    There are ABY pedals that will reverse phase on one line so that those two channels could be run in-phase...and the volume would be greater and the tone thicker.
    Also, where did you get the info on the tone control change? JUst curious....specifics on Gibson amps are so hard to nail down. I refer quite a bit to the Blue Book of Guitar Amplifiers for some info. They say that the change took place in '1963/64'.

18. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

Wally, I recently bought a book that is about the history of Gibson Amplifiers called, "Gibson Amplifiers 1933-2008: 75 years of the gold tone." In the book, it goes thru all the spec changes and when they

19. crzyhors

crzyhors TDPRI Member

When they occurred. There are quite few pics of amps and the picture of the 1963 does not match mine... However, the picture of the 1964 with midrange tone knobs does. I can only infer from this that mine is not a 1963, as I had originally thought

20. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

It's very hard to say. It was really a ***** show at Gibson then. Less in the early 60s, but by 64-66 they were changing models within a year and not recording and changes. I've found 3 or schematics from my '65 epiphone and nothing is even close in terms of number of tubes and transformer layout. Finally I found a Gibson schematic that matched. In my experience they sound great but are very difficult to service. The earlier '61-'63 models are well regarded. Mine Epi has green tolex and brown wheat grill cloth. I bet yours is a mid 60s based on the chassis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.