1962 Strat re-issues.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by sparkymike, Nov 10, 2019.

1. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

I have noticed that most of the re-issue 62 Strats do not have the slight curve at the end of the rosewood fingerboard, apart for the Japanese CIJ Fenders. Was this omitted to help prevent sellers from passing them off as original ?
    Photo below of my CIJ head- IMG_7129.JPG stock.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure, I thought 62 strats had thinner laminated boards. The custom shop should be using those if they shooting for period correct specs. The Mexican line just use slab boards and I think you are lucky if you can still get rosewood.

That mij looks a lot like a Allparts neck, they may source their necks from the same factory.
    I think I remember reading and hearing a couple years ago that they did come from the same factory along with Hosco. Not sure if that's 100% true as I just heard it word of mouth from a dealer who had a Hosco neck and bodies for sale. They do all look very similar.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  3. sabuchan

sabuchan TDPRI Member

This is my 1986 AVRI 62. It looks similar to your CIJ head. The pegs and the string guide are not original.

Strato_head.jpg

4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

The "slight curve" is indicative of a round laminated fingerboard as opposed to a slab board, which is what's shown in your pic. Slab boards existed through 1962 but began to change over mid-late '62.

teleplayr likes this.
  5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

Could possibly be due to the cost of an extra procedure to curve the fret-board.

OR.......what Murphycaster said.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Roundlam fretboards came into play during the last five months of 62 so there are plenty of 62s with slab boards.

By 63 all Fenders had roundlam fretboards

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Slab boards had the slight rounded end to the board ,but later 63, on laminated boards were straight cut ends.
    Mike.

8. sparkymike

sparkymike TDPRI Member

Just to make myself clear, I have arrowed the curve on my guitar. Only the Japanese seem to get this right each time.
    Mike.
    IMG_7153.JPG

9. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

I wouldn't say that as most any Fender guitar with a slab board is going to look like that. Also, I think there may be a misunderstanding here. Check out the differences of a slab board and round lam below. The slab board is on the left, round lam on the right (I couldn't find one with the headstock end).
    difference.png

Next, here are some examples of Fender guitars from the headstock end. The "curve" you mention looks just like the one of your picture. That's because it's a slab board. Understanding that there were two different ways of joining rosewood boards onto necks back in the day helps explain the shape of the board at the headstock end.
    slab.png
    slab-2.png

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.