1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1962 Blonde Tremolux Piggyback with 12" spkr cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Theiglupickin, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Theiglupickin

Theiglupickin TDPRI Member

I got this amp some time ago and as I've read many sites on the history it appears that the 12" speaker cab was not as common as the (2) tens or the single Tone Ring 10" speaker. So, my 12" has a recessed mounting baffle that has spaces on both sides providing a port. So what does the "tone ring" version look like? Never seen any pictures and I wonder if my 12" with recessed baffle is considered a tone ring design?
    THe head is an early version 6G9-A. The baffle looks original and not modified. Not much info on Ampwares or other vintage fender amp sites.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds interesting. Wally or Silverface will probably chime here. They know a lot about amps.

3. ampking300

ampking300 Tele-Meister

Even without seeing this cab, what you have is the standard 1x10" tone ring cab, with the double baffle board, BUT, with the tone ring removed and a 12" speaker mounted in it's place. The 12" speaker will fit perfectly mounted where the 10" tone ring was. I have seen many like this as many players just mount the 12" speaker with no extra drilling or fabrication to the double baffle board design. Keep in mind that many players prefer the sound of a 12" speaker over a 10". Keep in mind that this is only possible with the 1961 1x10" tone ring cabinets, in 1962 all but the Showman cabs were made as 2x12" cabs or in the case of the Tremolux a 2x10" cab. Your cab should be a small 1961 Tremolux cab measuring 17" in height, 27" wide and 11 1/2" deep.If it is not this cab it is a modified Showman 12, Bassman or Bandmaster, all 3 cabs were made in 1961 and were 21"-H, 30"-W, 11 1/2"-D. Good luck, these are great sounding cabs, especially with the right speaker mounted in them.

4. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

More importantly, what 12" is in it and how does it sound? I have a 65 Tremolux and 2x10 cab with Weber alnico 10A125's. Sweet sound.

Buckaroo likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to be "that guy," but there's kind of a rule around here: WE NEED PICS OF THIS BEAUTY!

6. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

This...I had a tone ring 1x12 Showman cab for a while, same situation. Tone ring was long gone and a 15” speaker mounted perfectly to the tone ring mount holes. I’m sure this is another example of Leo’s thriftiness when it came to set-ups and tooling.

7. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

A blonde Tremolux head with a pair of Jensen 12" (original or clone) vibed speakers is a great combination. Especially in a period correct matching Fender blonde cabinet! And a pretty big "sleeper" set up for the Fender uninitiated. I am going to enjoy this thread...

8. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

For reference here is a stock tone ring set up on my brother's 61 Bandmaster which I think will put things into perspective based on what I am reading. If so then your cabinet is only missing the ring part.

I am actively looking for a 61 or 62 Tremolux cab like yours for my early 62 Tremolux head. IMG_20200815_185316173.jpg

Theiglupickin likes this.
  9. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Couple of pics I grabbed from the web.

My experience with tone ring cabs is that they have the greatest effect on the bass. In general, my opinion is that they improve the overall sound when playing bass. Some guitars players like the "enhancement" for guitar as well. I always preferred 2x10 or better yet 2x12 Fender cabs from the piggyback era. Around 1970, when I first started gigging there were a lot of tolex covered PB Fenders around. My opinions are based on playing gigs with mid powered Fender PB amp from years ago. What I recall the most is that the tone ring cabs provided their best bang to bass players. Guitar players liked the standard cabs with two speakers.

I realize that I might be a bit "off topic" relative to the OP's inquiry, but future readers might benefit from the tangents of the discussion...or not.

Buck

Top view image:
    the interior speaker baffle creates a "port" through the front speaker hole. The direct frontal projection of the closed back "ported" cab directly focuses the bass response, by reflecting sound out the front, in addition to the speakers normal projection! To such an extent that a player can reduce the bass tone knob and run the amp not quite as hard to achieve projected bass. The cab improves bass with the amp needing to produce less power and heat compared to a non-tone ring cab. I suggest the motive of the design was to improve bass and reduce wear and tear at the same time.

There is a certain appeal to the sound of the bass with a tone ring cab overall. IMO, I remember mids and highs having much less effect from the tone ring...again, old memories of what we players thought... back in the day when this was just "used" gear.

Tone Ring One.jpg

Frontal view image:

tone Ring Two.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Theiglupickin and tubegeek like this.
  10. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

You don't have to wait that long into the future for your views to be taken on board by others-this is helpful as I am trying to decide whether to go tone ring 10 or 12 or 2x10/2x12 (probably 2x10) if I end up not finding a suitable old Tremolux cab and just have one made.

Buckaroo likes this.
  11. Theiglupickin

Sorry for the late delay but yea, its an original 61' cab. Works great, Tremolo too. No footswitch for it and finding an original brown single button one with RCA connector is searching for gold!
    Not an original speaker but period correct. Sounds Good!

Tremolux.jpg TremoluxCab.jpg

elihu, David Barnett and theprofessor like this.
  12. Theiglupickin

13. Theiglupickin

Thanks for the breakdown picture of the Tone-Ring cabinet! It appears mine had the 10" originally and was replaced with a 12". That's the way I got it. It had a Radio Shack speaker in it and I replaced it with a early 60's speaker I had which works pretty well.

Buckaroo likes this.
  14. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Here's a '61-'62 Bandmaster 1 x 12" that I restored:

finished cab fron t.jpg Finished cab inside.jpg finished cab rear.jpg finished cab skew2.jpg finished cabskew1.jpg

Theiglupickin and theprofessor like this.
  15. Theiglupickin

So where to find the tone-ring adapter should I want to put it back to original configuration with the 10" speaker???

16. Theiglupickin

17. Theiglupickin

Yes, I've always like 10" speakers for their punch and ability to carry across a room like a Super Reverb or a 4 X 10" bass cabinet. I'm sure the 10" tone ring works very well in that regard.[/QUOTE]

Buckaroo likes this.
  18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I picked up two, both speaker-less, of the 12" tone ring cabs maybe 25-30 years ago. One is a Bassman and the other is a Bandmaster. All of the hardware was included, with the exception of one handle, and I used one through the'90s, loaded with a D-120F JBL, sitting under a matching blonde Blues DeVille. I liked that rig.

Buckaroo likes this.
  19. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Theiglupickin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.