1960s Japanese electric, so far unidentified.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Birdmankustomz, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

I was driving down to the DMV with my girlfriend last summer and was momentarily blinded by something on the side of the road at a yard sale. I looked closer as I drove by and stomped on the brakes when I saw a battered sea-foam guitar attached to the mirror that blinded me.

I jumped out of the car and asked the woman outside about it, she said her boyfriend bought it at an estate sale years ago and it had been sitting in her closet since (he literally wiped the dust off it, and then put away for another 5 years). I asked her how much she was looking to get for it (expecting the worst and preparing to haggle). I couldn't pull out my wallet fast enough when she said "Eh, give me 5 bucks and it's yours".

It's been sitting on my wall since I grabbed it (severe depression on top of a bunch of other things have left my guitars neglected for the last year) but today I decided to pull it down and see what kind of work it needs. Basically all the pickups are good, as well as the jack, bridge, tuners, and temolo bridge. But all six slide switches need to be replaced as well as the pots. It plays great, and sounds awesome on the one currently working pickup, should be an amazing little guitar once I get the rest wired up with proper switches.

If anyone has any ideas about what this is, I'd love to know, even just guesses would be great. I've found that Domino made a bridge like this, but the rest of the guitar doesn't really look like anything they made (that I know of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Is there any markings on it at all? Just like the other thread that is floating around I would lean towards Teisco only because I have seen that style bridge on them before. But who knows who all used it.

3. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

Not sure how serious you were about the sever depression, but I hope you are doing well. I just lost a very dear friend in January to depression, it is a very nasty and unfortunate disease. Sorry I'm not much help identifying your guitar, but I hope you enjoy it and stay well!

4. Birdmankustomz

I pretty much didn't do anything for a year, I couldn't get motivated to do anything but the bare minimum grind. I ended up seeing a therapist about it last summer, and have been doing a lot better the past 6 months. Thanks for the support though, and I'm sorry to hear about your friend, it's always hard when something like that happens.

Sadly no markings at all. There is a trussrod cover that has "ADJUSTABLE ROD" stamped into it and the electronics all have "Made in Japan" on them, but nothing as to the brand name anywhere.

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

If nothing else its definitely worth at least $10 so you doubled your money ;).

6. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

That tremolo unit looks a lot like the type used by Hagström, but I believe that Goya and Guild used the same type. I don't think that Guild made a guitar like yours, so maybe Goya. I'll keep looking and see if I can dig up some better information.

I'd try some pot or contact cleaner spray on all the switches and pots as well as making sure the ground circuit is intact. Switches are usually very simple devices and you can often see how they work and if there is something preventing contact.

[​IMG]

7. Birdmankustomz

Hagström! That was the other brand I saw that bridge on, I couldn't remember it for the life of me. I tried cleaning out the switches and pots the best I could. Before buying new ones I'll try pulling them completely apart, I would like to use the originals (especially with how hard it is to find white/ cream slide switches now, though I have a dozen or so stashed away).

I remember looking when I got it, and had pretty much ruled out Domino, Hagstrom, Guild and Teisco, I'll have to look into Goya (I've never heard of them).

Edit: Just found this, has the exact same trussrod cover and headstock as mine, as well as pickups and knobs.

http://guitarz.blogspot.com/2011/01/marco-polo-4-pickup-guitar.html

Maybe getting close?

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19955

But this has the same knobs, bridge and pickups, so maybe I wasn't as close as I thought...

8. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Y'know, I might've got Goya mixed up with Guyatone. Those pics of the Guyatone look pretty close.

There is a lot of variation in some of these off-brand guitars. It seemed to depend on parts supply, country they were exporting to, department store distributor and day of the week.

A lot of making-it-up-as-they-go-along. It's real common to see a lot of differences between these guitars and it can be very hard to nail down exactly which model we're looking at.

Sort of like mongrel dogs, there's often no telling exactly who the daddy was. ;) A mutt can be a great dog, though!

9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Does it have a crazy shaped headstock (cant tell in pics)?

If so, it may be a Kay. I used to have a similar one, its
    claim to fame is Snooks Eaglin played one for a while.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

My guess would be a Teisco but that is a wild guess.

11. Birdmankustomz

http://drowninginguitars.com/2012/0...ars-1960s-crestwood-japanese-electric-guitar/

Alright, last bit of digging before bed, I ran across this guy and his Crestwood. My guitar has the same fret markers, headstock shape/ size, tuners, trussrod cover and string tree/bar thing. It also has a very similar bridge to mine, the same knobs, the lettering on the switch labels and the same pickups.

It looks like mine is most likely a Crestwood or a Domino. I'll probably do some more research tomorrow, I'm also going to stop by a little shop tomorrow afternoon to see about a Tiesco that has been in the front window for the last 4 years. Maybe by tomorrow night I'll have two 60s Japanese electrics.

12. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

If you're into Japanese vintage guitars check out the 5 6 7 8 s (featured in Kill Bill Vol. 1)

13. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

That's a Teisco. Keep in mind that features differed wildly on these guitars, and there were dozens of names the guitars carried, depending upon the distributor selling them.

Five bucks? You got a great deal.

14. Birdmankustomz

When I stopped I told my girlfriend if she wanted more than a hundred I would just walk away, if it was less I would try to haggle down as much as possible. When I got back in the car she said "that didn't look like a haggle to me, she said one sentence and you whipped out your wallet". I just told her sometimes a deal is so awesome you don't bother haggling. Similar to when I got my 1923 S&C 8-10, they said such a low price I said yes before my brain could fully realize what I was doing (before you ask, yes I have a problem when it comes to buying antiques :lol:).

15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

You could just post some better pictures to Guitarz.Blogspot.com for ID. They have a LOT of crazy collectors as readers. I'll bet it gets IDed in a few days ;)

16. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

+1 on the vibrato being like a Hagstrom. I've got one of those. The guitar is definitely Teisco-looking tho. Need a better headstock pic.

17. D in Conduct

D in Conduct Tele-Meister

A picture of the neckplate might provide a clue, also.

18. Birdmankustomz

Alright, later tonight I'll try to take a bunch of pictures and get them posted. As long as I can get the camera working. Ironic that a camera collector/ appraiser doesn't have a reliable camera...

19. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

A mechanic always drives the crappiest car :lol:. I don't want to think of what a plumber has :rolleyes:

20. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

Almost certainly a Guyatone, and could have been branded under any of their associated brands.

http://www.guyatoneguitars.com/history.html

Scroll down near the bottom of this website and read the notes after the last photo to get some idea of the associated brands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.