1960's - 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb with 2 - 10" Speakers!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 2HBStrat, Nov 12, 2019.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

I have a silverface late 60's-70's Fender Deluxe Reverb...the model with the boost pull switch on the volume control...with 2-10" speakers, instead of one 12" speaker, that appears to be all original. Has anyone else ever heard of one of these?

uriah1 likes this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

The pull-boost DR models started in late 1976, I believe. And none ever came with two 10" speakers standard. Somebody has put in a new baffle with two 10's. I'll bet it sounds good that way, though. @Bob Arbogast built a DR like that, with some other changes (like lower voltages).

uriah1, nojazzhere and 2HBStrat like this.
  3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Never say never when it comes to Fender...

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

post a pic

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Never say never, indeed. One of the earliest TR’s was a 1x15.
    https://www.vintageguitar.com/25182/1963-fender-twin-reverb-prototype/

The early, early prototype BF Pro I have had that same cloth on it before I first saw it. My buddy changed it!! What did we know 25 years ago, right? The TR above has a serial number on the chassis. MymPro does not have a stamped serial number. Odd things come around.

if a ’70’s SFDR with a pull boost has an original glued in baffleboard cut for 2 x 10’s, that would establish some rarity. Pictures of the baffleboard from inside would be of interest.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    uriah1 and FenderLover like this.
  6. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I wrote in to Vintage Guitar to point out a few discrepancies in that Dave Hunter article. The amp was probably modified by someone after the fact. Leo would not have sent out an amp using a 4 ohm output transformer with an 8 ohm speaker. The letter that was included came from the original owner, not the factory. The Lansing rep just happened to be there the same day with a D130 in his trunk? Some memories and stories get convoluted over time. Why didn't the amp have a single Showman 8 ohm output transformer installed if the JBL was stock? Good story but I smell fish.

Apache Snow, Wally and Fretting out like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It's not a too uncommon mod and works well, although it makes the amp heavy with substantial speakers. I've done it a couple times. The early SFDR did have a BF style baffle.

8. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

True, but the OP states the amp in question has the "pull boost" which would make it late 70's ('77-'79?).

schmee likes this.
  9. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

I have a 71 that I converted to a 2x10, using a pair of JBL D11OFs for the speakers, converted it to a solid state rectifier and 6L6s. Personally, I love the tonality of this set of mods: the sound is spread, more 3D, more clean headroom, very much like a mini Twin, and the visual is, IMHO, killer. and, yes, it's heavy! _527.JPG _526.JPG

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Yes it has pull boost on the volume control...seems to add treble, too. The speaker baffle is screwed on and the wood looks to be the exact same as the wood on the sides of the amp. The speakers are gold label Jensen Special Design.

11. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

It may be a later chassis in an earlier cabinet or in a custom made cabinet. Is there a tube chart inside the cab? Can you post some photos of the amp?

12. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Yes, but they (the 2-10 configuration) weren't offered as a factory option...though a very common, and commonly accepted modification. All of what you describe were common mods in the day.

http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb/

Depending on the speakers, it could be a very valuable modifications included.

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Yes, there is a tube chart...

14. Wally

slider313, anything is possible...even that the amp did not leave the f@ctory that way. It was interesting to me that the TR had the same cloth that the Prototype Pro I bought about 25 years ago had on it. That could be coincidental.....and no, I cannot prove anything about that cloth other than my buddy knows what Ampeg type cloth looks like and that is how he described the cloth. I have no doubts as to what this Pro is...no stamped serial number, yellow engineering pencil drawing the layout on the fiberboard, very early date codes on components that match...including the same tapped treble pots that were in the big 6G amps, no tube chart ever being in the amp, no wire box around the bright switch, and the 6G type of lower back panel. It is in short a truly unique, one of a kind amp.

2HBStrat, looking at the mounting of the non-original baffleboard in the amp that 39martind18 shows us will let you know what you might exp3ct to see if your baffleboard is non-original. 9martind18’s amp has a one-piece baffleboard/grille board that is bolted through some runners left by cutting out all of the original baffleboard but some ‘runners’ that were l3ft for the mounting of the new board. You can also see where the grille cloth is wrapped around to the backside of the baffleboard. That doesn’t happen with an original baffle in an amp such as yours. Pictures are informative to us.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Why would anyone think this 2 x 10 baffle is original? It's easy to build one, I even bought one off eBay. You could get artificially "aged" grill cloth.
    At the time, I had the brownface reissue Vibrolux and A/B'ed both 2 x 10 configurations, alternating amps and speakers so both amps were tested through both cabs and speakers. The larger Vibro cab sounded much better than the smaller Deluxe Reverb cab stuffed with two tens. Size makes a difference. YMMV.

slider313 likes this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

I'm not saying that it IS original...it LOOKS original, and the speakers are old, with a similiar well used look that the rest of the amp has.
    Mine does not have extra grille cloth wrapped around to the backside of the baffleboard. If this was a post-factory mod it was well done.

Crobbins likes this.
  17. Wally

any pull boost DR will not be a late ‘60’s amp. It will be from the 1970’s and will have a glued-in baffleboard with a separate grille board that attaches to that glued-in baffleboard with Velcro. IF you have a one-piece baffleboard with cloth that is stapled to the board, then the cab is either not original or the chassis did not leave the factory in that cab. A one-piece baffleboard will be screwed to runners in the cab. People cut the glued-in baffleboard back while leaving runners. That is what was done with the amp shown above...you can see the attachment screws/bolts in the picture.

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Interesting...I will check that out. I have a mid-80's Concert amp that has a velcro'd baffleboard but I didn't know the earlier amps would have been done that way. Thanks!

Wally likes this.
  19. Wally

2HBStart, Fender first started using the separate grille board in late 1970/early 1971 time frame.

20. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

How about posting a few pictures. That would clear up much of the confusion. Sam Hutton's son Bart was making repro Fender cabinets back when I was still living in NY. They were perfect reproductions (some were aged) with tube charts and it was very hard to tell that they were repro's. His father taught him well.

Larry Rodgers was also building amazing repro cabinets, with tube charts and aged grill cloth, before he passed away.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.