1960 thoughts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Apr 10, 2019.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Only? The global population 'only' more than doubled in less than 60 years?

aerhed and telemnemonics like this.
  2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

The number one song of the year was at the top of the charts, on the day I was born

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Only true if you don't consider mechanical tabulation to be 'computers'.

P Thought likes this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Point of order! What is the definition of "computer"?

Actually, my father was an engineer, starting in the 1950's and they had people crunching numbers who were called "computers" and "computeresses". No kidding@!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Plenty to comment in your post but I got a life too!

Taking the two statements: "violent family breakdown-- sure will lead to- violent crime", and "Largely due to/ symbolized by hard drug use"; I'd say you can put those in a blender and the sentences work no matter how you order the words.

Some balk at attempting to apply cause and effect to those who grow up to be criminals, but I would say that severe (or as you say violent) family breakdown comes from and creates both violent crime and hard drug (and alcohol) abuse.

While a couple of side effects of hard drugs make them appear worse (illegal to use drugs, death by OD, cost of some leading to robbery), IME they are one and the same as hard alcohol abuse.

And while you note that (violent family breakdown leads to violent crime", it also leads to hard drug and alcohol abuse.

To my observation, I think many growing up in the same environment sort of choose between those two semi- inevitable outcomes, either violence which becomes criminal, or hard substance abuse which becomes criminal.

And again, this is an unpopular idea because it appears to take the responsibility off of the chronic drug abuser, but it's possible that sedating your life with drugs is not worse than beating your weaker loved ones, without abusing drugs; as a result of growing up emotionally sick in an emotionally sick family environment.

Sadly of course the parent that is not violent but neglects their children due to drug abuse still harms the kids.

As do some of the parents who are so well adjusted and high functioning that they have no time for their kids, because making money to provide a "better life" is all consuming, another obsessive way of living that allows one to avoid the sticky wickets of love, compassion, kindness, empathy, communication, listening etc; that kids need from their parents.

It seems funny (or misinformed, not really funny) that the "Church going family" got sort of equated with the healthy environment family.
    ...A tragedy if many really believe that little truth...

IME some very sick individuals had very healthy family situations but other members of their communities did the damage, including of course members of the medical, sports and education communities.

Entertainment tech seems to possibly play a role as well, but I'd guess that a kid needs to be neglected by family in order to give tech the power to really influence the child's thinking and values.

I'm a bit confused by the repeated insistence that there is less crime now than in 1960, yet laws tell parents that their kids shouldn't be alone walking to school etc, and parents keep kids indoors on the couch in fear or the dangers on the streets.

Seems like there truly are more (non self induced) dangers to kids now, especially if we view grammar school and pre teen drug use to be a danger.
    Some I guess think certain drugs are OK these days, just as some good church going parents put the little ones to sleep with a taste of whiskey in 1960.

P Thought and RoscoeElegante like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fair enough!
    But given that we have all but run out of or polluted enough of our then plentiful resources in that time that we fear running out of food, fuel and water, I was assuming the pop growth was larger over that period.

Seems that as much as we grew in numbers, a select few grew even more in flagrant waste.

Someone mentioned something like "the middle class enjoys far greater luxury now than in 1960".

The obsession with luxury as some sort of high ideal is greatly responsible for any impending demise, IMO.

Had everyone consumed only what they needed, we would not have most of today's problems. And we might also have better values.

The conspicuous consumption and wealth hoarding it takes to live in luxury is not a spiritual value.
    In fact, gluttony, coveting and hoarding are the opposite of high or spiritual ideals.

So yeah I was surprised that so few did so much damage in so little time!

gungrog likes this.
  7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I gotta say, as passionate as many points/posters are on this thread (as on this Forum generally), it's heartening to see how boundary-respecting and plain respectful people are being. This could easily derail into animosity, but everyone's keeping everyone else's good will and sincerity in mind. I hope that's not patronizing to note. I just really appreciate what an oasis of civilization--as well as what a fount of wit and good advice--this place is.....

gungrog, jondanger, P Thought and 3 others like this.
  8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fair question. It depends on the decade. By the 1960, the definition was getting fuzzy between those remembering it referring to a job (and the person doing the job) and a machine that would do that job (and more as it turns out) for you.

Read some Richard Hamming, especially where he essentially invents out of order execution using human computers during the Manhattan Project. He also ended up being THE expert in a field because the guy who knew everything wouldn't write it down, so Hamming did.

9. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

The good old days .... :)

10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I started first grade in 1959 (there was no kindergarten, lived in the country, many moms didn't drive), and was already a good student. I got nephritis (kidney failure) and was confined to bed for several months. The greatest blessing of my childhood! I couldn't do much to occupy my time, so I read. All day, every day, anything I could find. My parents gave an adult book about the presidents, which I read at least a dozen times. My teacher brought me books from the school library. In short, I learned to love books and reading, and that has been the greatest gift I could have received. I had to relearn how to walk, but that weren't nuttin'!

kingofdogs1950, aerhed and P Thought like this.
  11. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Everyone would love to be a kid again but I would only want to be a kid again in the same time period. I was born 1960 and you can have your internet your 80” TV’s your cell phones and your self driving cars. I wouldn’t miss them for a minute as I’m listening to that new Beatles song that just came out on my transistor radio and playing that Stones record on my turntable and looking at all those hippie girls in the park with flowers in their hair. You just had to be there to appreciate it

Thinliner, stxrus and kingofdogs1950 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.