1960 thoughts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Apr 10, 2019.

1. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Somebody is bitter because they're not old enough to get in on the Americana memory lane. Must a been really bland for some.

Doctorx33 and flathd like this.
  2. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

My dad had a '56 Chevy pick-up with a stick shift. Those were the Good Old Days.

It also had a starter button on the floor, you don't see them around anymore.

3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Yes, there seems to a be a particular kind of narcissism that happens to include others. Everyone is objectified. The other's only value is how they keep the "me" entertained.

Mad Kiwi and telemnemonics like this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

My dad was a warrant officer in a demolition unit.
    They went around blowing up stuff, a premature explosion in France cost him about half his team and rang his bell so hard he was medically discharged after his recovery.
    My aunt and grandmother said that was the reason for his violent temper, PTSD, or shell shock was very common to many families, even though it wasn’t recognized like it is today.
    I know of several families that had members dealing with PTSD.
    Good old days? Not so much.

5. flathd

Too many windows were being shattered. Also people waking up, they were loud even indoors. I think it's now illegal to break the sound barrier within the US.

6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I am a social worker in public child welfare in Baltimore City. Trust me, crimes against children are MUCH lower than they were in 1960, even as we have classified many actions as criminal which didn’t used to be.

Here is 1990-2009 from the American Academy of Pediatrics.

[​IMG]

A lot of the neglect situations are related to substance use, which we know has other aggravating factors.

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

As a teacher, I'm sorry they're are others out there that believe as this one does, another reason this is my last year teaching.

telemnemonics and Mike Eskimo like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

You are right, you can choose bogus stats to make any point :oops:

How about, oh, the homicide rate?

nojazzhere and aerhed like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Interesting graph and exactly what I am talking about. Please note "(x3)" and "(x2)". Redo the graph without those multipliers (I am assuming) and you have a relatively flat curve like the "neglect rate". Of course this graph doesn't show pre 1990 data either.

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

And yet, this is how war can be transformative to a society. The regional sensibilities of that generation had was shaken by way of their service with others from other parts of the country and what they observed as they moved through occupied Germany and Japan. The "other" now was concrete and not an abstraction in their minds. As a result, an overall awareness of social conditions in the subsegments of society had emerged.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Actually, it’s one of those gray areas/sticky places in the world where both are true.

ADHD is definitely legit/real as can be and can be treated.

Conspiracy instigated by big Pharma with the help of the medical community ?

Also completely true. (Also, somewhere where we didn’t learn lessons from the past a.k.a. Purdue pharmaceutical and the opioid crisis)

Wait – one of you old codgers mentioned the Beatles somewhere in this cockamamie thread haven’t you?

Because it wouldn’t be a “good old days” thread without the Mops !

Greggorios, nojazzhere and Flakey like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

13. jondanger

Well, they use a multiplier because the rate is low in the first place. The rate of decline is the same whether you use a multiplier or not, it’s just a data visualization tool. If you’re multiplying the 1990 stats by 2, and the 2009 stats by 2, it doesn’t flatten the trend, it just raises it on the graph to assist comparison.

The easiest way to manipulate graph data is messing with the x axis, which is present in this case, but not gratuitous.

One reason that data from pre 1974ish isn’t generally helpful is that the legal structures that relate to child maltreatment has changed so much since that time. Lots of things are considered to be abuse now that weren’t back then.

Maybe NIH is a credible enough source?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK201120/

Or the Brennan Center at NYU?

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/americas-faulty-perception-crime-rates

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    aerhed likes this.
  14. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

It was the same here in WV. I guess the wilderness and sparse population made it easier to keep a secret if one went down.

15. flathd

And did they forget to close the door to the "Whine Cellar"? Oh, oh...

I think Mr. Koen was right.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Wrong. Take for example the first and last data point of "Sexual Abuse Rates" in blue, 69 and 27. The difference is 42. The original data (divide by three) is 23 and 9. The difference is only 14, hence the much flatter curve.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. jondanger

Fair point. I can see the value of using a multiplier to enhance data visualization. The percentage of decline is the same in both instances.

But please read the links from the Brennan Center and NIH that I posted. America may not be back to 1960 level of violent crime, but the fact is that crime increased a lot from 1960-1990, and has been falling rapidly since then. We are pretty much back to 1970 rates, which was admittedly twice as high as 1960 rates. But the 1990 rate was about 4 times as high as 1960.

https://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/...636e42147-8152BD7A-B4F0-5270-C421A2916D121590

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obsessed and Harry Styron like this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Interesting discussions here, fer sure!

I'd say about the "simpler"/"better"/"better for some & worse for others" issues that American culture had, in the early '60s, an active and tap-able sense of dignity. One that could be drawn on to right the wrongs that were festering then. For all its hypocrisies, the culture was good enough at heart to be able and eager to better itself in practice.

But that just a few years beyond this era, the culture badly soured. Many people saw newly recognized rights, new degrees and forms of liberation, newly claimed freedoms being so misused, that they sneered right back at all the cynicism about the culture that had taken hold. (I remember a GM assembly line worker in our neighborhood growling, "I was all for the kids being free and all, until I saw him [Abbie Hoffman] in that American flag shirt, giving America the finger. You can't use freedom against itself like that.") In a shockingly short time, the "I Am A Man" ethos of shared dignity became the "I Am A World of Raging Self-Entitlement, Whatever Damage That Does Me & Others" ethos of competing selfishnesses. Hypocrisy was fixed by the culture's sense of dignity, but dignity was demeaned into self-worship and competing resentments. Freedom pushed to excess attacks the reason why freedom is dignity to begin with. (This is why the Forrest Gump subplots of Jenny going from a dreamy folkie to a Panthers' periphery to a despairing L.A. drug-scene burnout are so compelling, beyond the poignance about her pain. Her path really tracks the culture's embitterment so well.)

Phew! I need a coffee.

aerhed and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  19. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

The good news is that there are also many selfless and compassionate teachers out there that understand and advocate for students with ADHD and other learning disabilities. It's teachers like those that can really change a student's experience in education and life in general. From the sounds of it, you seem to be one of those teachers!

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

For those who like to throw statistics around I would offer. Those who keep track of such things, suggest 1% of the population commit 63% of the crime. Population of the U.S. in 1960 180 million give or take a few. 1% 1.8 million give or take a few. Population, 2019 328 million give or take a few. 1% 3.28 million give or take a few. Since the bowl is the same size adding gravy to it suggests that what people are saying about crime and being safer now, is just crime reporting juggling to make someone look good, or maybe the bad guys look better. (and that more people get gravy)

In 1960, I turned 17, I was already and old man from my life's experiences, I was street wise and had been back and forth across the two thirds of the United States several times, both in the company of others and on my own. I don't give a tinker's damn about how they report crime, it was safer then than it is now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.