1960 thoughts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Apr 10, 2019.

1. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I posted earlier (post #16) but in following this the varying perceptions are fascinating. Being born just a few years apart or in different places creates a very different perspective, it appears.

Anyway, a related observation. I was born in 1952. Harry Truman was President. By my count, there have been 13 presidents thus far in my lifetime or nearly a third of all who have held that job. We live in a young nation.

2. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

I obviously never had nuclear war drills, I can definitely relate to the second half of this post, I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st-2nd grade. Things definitely aren't as bad as it was back then, but there are still people out there who think it's a disciplinary problem. A couple years ago I had a teacher who said that my disorder wasn't real, some sort of conspiracy theory involving the medical community and big pharma. I've had people call me names, I've been bullied, but having someone say that the disorder you struggle with every day isn't real hurts the most.
    (Sorry to go off topic, I just felt the need to share my experience ;))

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    telemnemonics and Rowdyman like this.
  3. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I thought political topics/topics that border on politics were forbidden?

4. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Mike Eskimo and Straydogger like this.
  5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

If you can remember when The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, then you're a Baby Boomer. The JFK assassination is the cutoff for the post WWII Baby Boom when the yearly birth rate went below that of 1946-64. I am a part of Generation X which lasts from 64 until 1981. The Millennials start having arguments of their ending, but 1999 seems appropriate. Gen Z would be those born from then until a little before now as the 5G generation of cyborgs will be altogether different.

Straydogger and Greggorios like this.
  6. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

13 in 1960. The local Mall (one of the first I think) had a record shop with booths to listen to 45's. The toy store had a slide next to the stairs to get to the downstairs area. JJ Newberrys was the local $.05 & $.10 store with a lunch counter. Sears and Macy's were the only department stores and you bought appliances and even bicycles at the Firestone store. Sirens at noon to duck and cover. Played the National Anthem over the same system at 5:00PM and cars pulled over until it was over. Pedestrians stopped until it was over. Not sure every city did it but my hometown in California did.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I was 11. I grew up thinking I was among the luckiest in the world to grow up where I did in the time I did. And today, I still think that's true, and am extremely grateful. My parents used to have cocktail parties with other couples in the neighborhood. All the men had served in World War II. They laughed a lot. There was an ebullience that was palpable. These people had lived through it and returned to live the dream of being reunited, building families and living in the house with the white picket fence, where you didn't have to lock the doors to your house or your car. They were so grateful to be alive and free. They passed it to me.

Straydogger, aerhed and Greggorios like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Five years old in 1960, I grew up with what was dubbed, "earthquake drills". I enjoyed watching jets flying out toward the ocean making sonic booms. My dad and I woke up early to watch every Mercury and Gemini launch. My dad being based on a SAC base during the 50s never mentioned his concerns to me. Later in the 60s when my dad's oldest brother lost his only son to Nam, it became the primary focus for me.

@unixfish brings up an interesting point about knowledge creating our perspective regarding crime. He might be correct on paper, but to me it is way worse than in the 60s and I don't really pay much attention to today's crime news. I suppose it is just my perspective, but the police in our quiet nearby town (which only had one police officer two decades ago) wear bullet proof vests full-time now, so I don't think it is just my perspective. Just sayin'

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Isn't "correct on paper", er, um, correct? Isn't not like there are no crime statistics and we can only rely on personal anecdotes.

jondanger likes this.
  10. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

huh, I was also 2 in 1960. Could have sworn we were the tail end of the baby boomers and not generation X but what did i know back then.

I remember nuke drills in my first grade. "Why are we going under our desks? What's an atomic bomb?" So I looked at books in the library and learned about them. By the second grade I was drawing diagrams of fission and fusion atomic weapons. I can't imagine the trouble I'd be getting into today if I were 7-8 years old and doing that.

Straydogger and Greggorios like this.
  11. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

1960, the year my mother died, I was 9.
    8 of the top ten shows on TV were westerns.
    We had our bomb drills, we also had vaccinations, I was scared of needles, so I hated them.
    We were free to roam around anywhere we wanted, just be home for dinner, if you went back out, you had to be home by the time the street lights came on.
    You could easily hitchhike anywhere you wanted to go, or ride your bike.
    You could fill your tank for 15 cents a gallon and get a case of Coke and S&H green stamps to boot.
    We use to go for a drive, just for fun, people were courteous and friendly.
    1960, my how we have changed.

12. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I was the fastest swimmer that year.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think about that all the time, how close we were to that horrible war, and not aware of it, as I'm sure our parents and grandparents were. I was 7. In 1964 my folks bought a 1960 Ford station wagon, one of the homeliest cars ever made. I wouldn't mind having it now. . . .

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Remembering what was going on when I was 5 yrs old is stretching the grey matter...:D

I had no world view back then or any idea of what was gong on outside my street... no tv, just the radio or records for sounds... and a thunder box up the backyard....;)

Greggorios likes this.
  15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

We're not talking politics. We're talking time and culture. Don't dicc it up.

16. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Indeed. thanks

Chicago Matt likes this.
  17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I was 5 and discovering baseball - a year away from the M&M boys and the great HR race. It imprinted the Yankees on my brain for life.

So many TV shows based on WWII in the 60's - Combat was my favorite. Aside from ball we would play 'war' almost every day. We always strived for realism and one day took one of my moms 'sanitary knapkins' (an unused one thank you) to tape to my body as a 'wound'. I had no idea what it was :)

18. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Ummm, no. There are a lot of political undertones here. I thought that type of thing was not allowed.

A lot of us come here to talk guitars/music and escape the 24 hour news cycle.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You can make statistics present just about anything, so I'm pretty skeptical about such things. Is it capital crimes between 1:00 and 3:00 AM per capita that have gone down? Or is it only counting misdemeanors by kindergarteners?

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Well, duh, of course it did!
    That was the year the SCRIMMER first graced the Earth!

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.