1960 thoughts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Apr 10, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMO it got better around '62 or so!

2. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

1962 - Seattle Space Needle. I was there!
    Iwo Jima - my father was there (photo-recon, not one of those guys in the picture!)

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  3. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Sorry bro, but you and I (of 1958 or thereabouts vintage) are not Gen X - which spans 1965-84. We are formally part of the "boomer" generation, but as late boomers (i.e. too young for Viet Nam, Summer of Love, etc.) can be lumped into what has become known as "generation Jones": 1954-65/5

Doctorx33, Flakey and aerhed like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

Straydogger likes this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Studies have shown that we are safer now than we ever have been. There is much less crime now that there ever has been. There is less violent crime now than there ever has been. (Mass shootings may be up? I don't know.)

Many of the things we did as kids we don't let our kids do - and for good reason. It just wasn't safe.

What we have now is mass media. Back in the 50s and 60s, you saw local news. Our family would only see crime issues on the news from Cleveland / Akron, depending on what station we watched. They did not cover all the crime issues of those areas.

Now, every incident from anywhere in the world is reported everywhere. We think things are much worse, because we see 1,000 times the volume of crime that we ever saw. In the last 10 or 20 years, crime has become big news and makes news stations money, so they are running hard to be the first to report on it.

It is amazing how your perspective changes when your sample size expands; it makes you feel like so much more is happening.

I am watching some Netflix shows that take place in the 60s. The blatant sexism and racial bias is hard to watch; although, that is how it was back then. Thank a deity of your choice things are better (but maybe not "right" yet).

1960, Simpler times, but maybe not better. Rose colored glasses and all that.

7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

The possibility of war with the Rooskies was a big deal back then. I was among the kids doing the nuclear war drill. I don't recall being scared though.
    Later, 1964 when I was in the Boy Scouts, I took a Civil Defense course in 'radiological monitoring' for what to do after the bomb dropped, survival in underground shelters, and such. We were taught how to use a geiger counter to determine if it was safe to go outside. We even used the the geiger counter to find a piece of radioactive material hidden in a large field.
    I still have the certificate. Woo-hoo.
    Anyway, even with the existential threat of an atomic bomb landing on our young heads, it was a carefree and wonderful time to grow up. I never had a house key, even through high school. Didn't need one since the front door wasn't ever locked.

Mark

Doctorx33 and Straydogger like this.
  8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

william tele likes this.
  9. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

(..smiling...) I remember a small local river that always flooded quickly and going body surfing on it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I remember when this was all fields

Oddly enough, i was doing the exact same calculation in my own head this morning of being born X years after the war, which as it predated my parents birth seemed ancient history

But now when you do some calculation and it is the same distance in time as Vanilla Ice or whatever - spooky

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Generation Jones is not an established "generation" it's a sub category of "Boomers" and it was a name coined by a single individual, Jonathan Podell a cultural commentator, in a book he wrote. Come on Bassman, stand proud with the rest of us. We're Boomers damn it! ;)

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Cool, My Uncle Skip was 4th wave at Iwo.
    [​IMG]

13. Greggorios

Agreed. I was born in 56 and have vivid memories of being confused and scared to death after learning what those concrete block "dug-outs" were in our neighbors backyards. This was reinforced and made worse by Nuclear Bomb drills in school. Later, in 65, there was a huge black out int the Northeast and Canada that took down electricity for over 30 million people for over 13 hours. As we gathered around the family radio waiting for news and for my Dad to get back from his job in NYC we all thought that this "was it" and the Russians were attacking. I haven't felt those kind of fears for a very long time. Sadly I've begun to have the same worry again over the past few years.

14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I understand what the OP means by saying that kids in 1960 didn't think of what had happened just 15 years prior, in WWII. Maybe this was often the case, but it sure wasn't the case uniformly. Just in my neighborhood:
    • Dad had been a corpsman in the Navy, at Annapolis Naval Hospital. Was working w/ vets damaged by WWII up until his last day on duty, in 1950.
    • Milkman had one arm. The other was still in Belgium somewhere.
    • Guy who went around selling carpets and drapes...Bataan Death March.
    • Neighbor to one side...Battle of Midway. Neighbor to the other, Lee tank in North Africa. Neighbor across the street, medic at Anzio.
    Etc., etc.

WWII was all around us. Korea, too. The guy just down the block would see an attacking Chinese horde in the shadows if he had more than a beer or two. His wife would take him camping on the Fourth of July.

Yes, lots of cheerful materialism, dread of the Rooskies and the Cold War, lots of self-absorption. But even the least historically-minded kid I knew in the mid-'60s (I was born in '61) knew what Pearl Harbor, D-Day, the Battle of the Bulge was; what the Germans and Japanese did. And had some strong inkling of the ol' "Freedom isn't free" thing.....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    dan1952, Flakey, elihu and 3 others like this.
  15. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

This is right on @unixfish.

Many folks get confused at the difference between "simpler" and "better".

Simpler was nice, no doubt about it, but contemporary middle class Americans live in luxury unimaginable in a post WW II world.

16. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

If you were born in the 50s yer a Boomer like me. Gen Xers started being born around the time of the Cuban missile crisis.

You forgot the Woodentops and Rag, Tag and Bobtail BTW ;)

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For some, not so much for others.

18. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I turned 1 in the middle of 1960 - not a care in the world. Just a cute little kid crawling around, learning to walk, sneaking a word or two in here and there.

The only reason WWII wasn't ancient history to me was because my old man fought in it and because with the religious orientation I was raised in, we had the holocaust drilled into our brains from the time we were little kids in Sunday School. But other than that, it was no more real to me than 9/11 would be to a kid born last year. Unless his grandmother or grandfather died in the towers that day and he or she is raised on that horror. And, yeah, WWII was not quite as far in the rearview mirror at that point as 9/11 is today, but 9/11 is YESTERDAY in my mind today. As WWII and Hitler were in my folks' minds when I was a year old and continued to be for the rest of their lives. As 9/11 no doubt will for me for the rest of my life.

Perception of time is the greatest mystery I regularly grapple with. I have very clear memories of things that happened 50+ years ago. My folks used to say stuff like that and I'd think, "DAMN, you're OLD". And they were. And I am now too, but I only feel it in some really specific physical ways - I don't perceive myself as old, until I catch a glimpse of this old SOB walking toward me in a store window, briefly think my Dad is back for a highly unlikely visit, and then realize that codger is ME. And I don't look any part of young anymore. Most things in life I don't find all that mysterious or confusing, but the passing of time and my weird perception of it is just thoroughly bizarre to me. And in probably what will feel like no time at all to my now 30-31 year old daughters, my wife and I will be gone and planted like my folks have been for 15-20 years now and I won't have to think about this stuff anymore. But for now, I do.

19. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Funny, I spent my career in land use and transportation planning which required a far more than casual familiarity with demographics. I always thought that we Boomers should be split up. My brother was born in 1947, I was born in 1959, both boomers but we grew up in radically different worlds and had radically different experiences, even with the same set of biological parents - their perspectives had changed radically during that time as well. To explain it more clearly, Donald Trump and Barak Obama are both boomers but couldn't have grown up in more overwhelmingly different times, and it shows in their world-views. But for all that, I've never heard of "generation Jones". I know it's not any kind of formal designation, but I'm glad someone had the sense to conceive of it and name it, however informally. Because early and late boomers don't have much in common at all.

-Ray

20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Yeah - my wife and I sort of scratch our heads at all the talk about the defining points of "our" generation - Viet Nam, Woodstock, Beatlemania, the Mickey Mouse Club - I mean, I knew about all of these things, but was way too young to have participated or been directly influenced by them (other thank wearing a lot of cheap, widely available military surplus clothing in the 70s.) To me, the real defining moments were the release of "My Aim is True", "The Clash", "Rocket to Russia", etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.