1960 thoughts...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Apr 10, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

In 1960 I was 12. Not a care in the world. America was safe and booming with middle class jobs. But 1960 was only 15 years after WW2 ended. Then I realized that's like only thinking back to 2004 today. 2004 seems like yesterday. WW2, N*zi's, America attacked on it's own soil. A short gap of time really. Us kids didn't think about it at all in 1960. But I bet our parents did for sure.

[​IMG]

2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I was 10 then, all they talked about was preparing for nuclear war. We had posters in the classroom that said:

In Case of Nuclear Attack:
    1. Lay your desk down on its side facing the windows.
    2. Crouch behind your desk.
    3. Curl up in fetal position with your head between your legs.

Then someone would always write underneath

4. Kiss your ass goodbye.

3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I'm convinced that this experience changed us to some degree. Insert every emoji on the list.

Kebmel, LocoTex, Wally and 10 others like this.
  4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Ya think? lol

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah I was 1 in '60, and shortly knew the boys coming back from another war.

WWII brought us together, a country allied by a truly evil enemy.
    Vietnam divided us, as many questioned what we were being told, and why our boys were taken for an idea that might not have been a truly evil enemy.

6. telemnemonics

And yeah the America was safe thing is big.
    Kids walked to school.
    Young people hitchhiked everywhere.

Recently parents have actually been arrested for letting their kids walk to school.
    This enemy is us, not "them", sort of.
    What the hell do we do with that?

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I had it good as a kid. When not in school I'd be gone all day. Walk anywhere, do anything. Spent a ton of time in the woods. We'd build little log cabins out of small Alder trees etc. Go fishing to secluded little potholes. Drag logs onto the railroad tracks to watch the trains smash them. As long as I was back for dinner it didn't matter much.

8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I was barely sentient in 1960, when my little brother was born. When he stepped on a rainbow in 2015, I got this 1960 to remember him by:

upload_2019-4-10_9-54-31.png

9. telemnemonics

I could also roam my close packed neighborhood with a .22 shooting into the trees and nobody complained.
    I remember riding ice flows down the river and falling in to freezing water, among other foolishness.
    Log cabins sounds cool, never tried that!

Interesting how parents then just didn't seem terrified, despite all the danger kids created for ourselves.
    We did watch out for each other though, drag your friend out of the river instead of shooting a cell phone video of the drowning...

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I was nine years old in 1960.....and yeah!....it was a DIFFERENT world. We did understand the threat of the USSR,(maybe not "understand", but were "aware" of) and did the nuclear attack drills in school. Ft Worth was a SAC base back then, which supposedly made it a prime target for Soviet missiles. But on the other hand, we roamed the town with impunity, our houses were unlocked during the day, and if we got into mischief, SOMEONE would see us and report back to our parents. (and it didn't matter WHERE we were) Unlike schmee, we had to be back home for lunch, but then could go back out until dinner.....then we were back out again, until "called" or the street lights came on, whichever came first.
    But now, when I see kids out walking without an adult, the "parent/grandad" in me takes over, and I try to keep an eye on them, without appearing like a pedophile. ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  11. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I was 7....and those were the good old days, when the whole family sat at the dinner table.

And all it took was a "Sonic Boom" and there would be at least 1 glass of milk tipped over.

12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

I was 2 back then, knew nothing about America and was only interested in watching Andy pandy, Looby lou,& Bill and Ben on our state of the art black and white TV. I am what was termed as Generation X, My dad and uncle's fought in the 2nd WW, My Grandad fought in the 1st WW. None of them ever spoke of it. But you are correct 15 years of a span in nothing to us but a whole life time to those growing up in those 15 years..btw, the arm of the sofa was the best cowboy horse I ever had...

LocoTex and notmyusualuserid like this.
  13. nojazzhere

Having Carswell AFB in town, with the B-58's and later F-111's, we had sonic booms ALL the time. When we had out-of-town visitors rush outside to see the planes flying over, we thought, "What's the big deal?....they fly over ALL THE TIME!"

thegeezer and flathd like this.
  14. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

The generation that wanted to change government and culture became the government and culture.
    Now complains about kids on their lawn. (looks out window, sees kid on lawn, grumbles

not gonna cue "we don't get fooled again" - that ain't my generation.

I'll let uncle Hank yell at the kids, to go tear up that lawn.

EDIT: MODERATORS NOTE
    If you post a video with foul language in it, please preface it with a warning.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
    Chiogtr4x, Uncle Bob, uriah1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I don’t remember much from 1960, except a floating, swimming sensation.

I was born 10 years later.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

I was 8 then and grew up on a farm in the Midwest about a mile from town. Yeah, we went anywhere we wanted and did anything we wanted.

I remember the nuke drills, tornado drills (needed the latter one spring day in ‘62). 1964, think I’ll learn to play guitar. My first car later in the decade...300hp, drum brakes and no seat belts but it held my guitar and a blackface ‘67 Bassman. Playing in bars st 16, getting home in the wee hours...

1960, yeah. And a while after.

dan1952, Straydogger and nojazzhere like this.
  17. nojazzhere

WHIPPER-SNAPPER!!!!!!!;)

Straydogger and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

5 years old in 1960, same experiences as has been posted. I remember Kennedy getting shot, and remember his funeral.

I have a co worker that is my age, and we talk all the time about music and events from the sixties and seventies, like how our childhoods were like back then. No cell phones, no internet, no computers, analog cars that we fixed ourselves, only three channels on the tv.

We also have a co worker in his twenties. He's a good kid, but he has no idea what or who we are talking about when we reminisce.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

1960 was a good year for jazz:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. telemnemonics

Interesting that there were nuclear war drills in school in '60.
    I missed all that and didn't even know it was so much of a thing then.
    I guess I started school in '65 and saw the wold as not really a scary place, in a macro way.
    Many kids and teachers were mean though, which I had a hard time understanding for a while. Turns out many had a hard time understanding me, as I seem to have had ADHD which made me move around and ask questions while struggling to slow down for the dull subjects.
    This was seen as a discipline problem.
    One year the teacher moved my desk into the hall.
    Another year a different teacher moved my desk over looking out a window, which was nice enough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.