1960-1961 Alamo Electra 2x10

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by precbs62, Mar 24, 2017.

1. precbs62

precbs62 TDPRI Member

Alamo started making this model in 1963 per the catalogue detail available online.

I have heard tales of 1961 versions but have never seen one in person, and have seen much confusion on the topic. Hopefully these pictures will fill in some of the unknowns for Alamo enthusiasts.

Based on the lack of info on this amp available online as in detailed pics of the inside etc…that once I came upon this amp and did an entire photo session I decided to give my fellow Alamo amplifier fans a tour of this amp.

This amp has sat in 1 spot for 25+ years as it belonged to a friend of mine who just gifted me the amp. The last owner knows that I will never alter this perfect example out of my respect for rare 100% excuse free vintage pieces of guitar gear.

IMO I wasn’t the first one to take the back panel off the amp.

One screw had a bend in it

All tubes date to 1960/61 and look orig. to the amp, however there is a period correct Amprex Bugle Boy ax7 and a Sylvania ax7 which doesn’t match the other 2 TungSol ax7’s. Also there were no tube covers on the ax7’s either.

I examined the 1960 TungSol 6v6’s and the rectifier tubes once I removed them with the getters pre-sprung as to not add any scratches removing them. I found no getter marks/scratches on the tubes at all making me believe that I was the 1st to remove these original to the amp tubes. I also pre-sprung the getters so that when I put the tubes back in the amp, there would still be no getter scratches….big respect for untouched examples !! ( I even took great care to not disturb the 2 spider skeletons when reassembling !!)

I have seen examples of Alamo inside cabinet not painted but baffle board was – I have seen that opposite too – Based on the vintage staples, other examples of how the grill cloth was cut inside, I believe the unpainted baffle board to be 100% orig. to the amp as it appears that the speakers have never been out of this amp – all the signs of no tampering are present. Also, removing these speakers is a bit of a pain due to the tranny being attached to the one speaker. It all looks very untouched.

I also have the brownish slip cover that fits like it was made for the amp and also matches the condition like it is orig., but have no way of knowing if it is orig. to the amp as I can find no literature that Alamo made slip covers for the amps.

Other than what is mentioned above, here is an outstanding example of a true survivor from the golden era of guitar gear.

All Pots date 1376105

Speakers appears to be dated from 1960

all transformers are dated correct to amp.

I own a ton of vintage amps including IMG_2182.jpg IMG_2183.jpg IMG_2180.jpg IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2159.jpg IMG_2182.jpg IMG_2183.jpg IMG_2180.jpg IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2159.jpg brown face – blackface etc… and this amp sounds outstanding. My 1962 brown Deluxe at 15w is comparable, but my 1965 Deluxe Reverb at 22w is much louder than this healthy 2x10 Alamo Electra rated at 20w.

Pics were duplicated in the process of posting...?? Enjoy.
    Sorry not a forum guy but did want to take the time to show curious folks this example.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. precbs62

precbs62 TDPRI Member

here are more pics IMG_2167.jpg IMG_2168.jpg IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2190.jpg

3. precbs62

precbs62 TDPRI Member

More Pics

4. precbs62

precbs62 TDPRI Member

IMG_2198.jpg IMG_2196.jpg IMG_2185.jpg IMG_2187.jpg IMG_2188.jpg

5. precbs62

precbs62 TDPRI Member

the flash makes the face plate looked real scratched but in person under normal light it looks good. I didn't want to clean it... IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2172.jpg IMG_2173.jpg IMG_2173.jpg IMG_2174.jpg IMG_2181.jpg !!

uriah1 likes this.
  6. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Looks almost new! Thanks for posting.

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I've worked with Alamos a good bit, as they are found around here and Supros are not.
    They had some duds, but many are worth a run.
    Great 'shoe gaze' amp.
    Hate that term.
    The one I liked had the bottles in the bottom, and a whole 'accordion' circuit that was better disconnected.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

That's gorgeous...happy New Amp Day! GO N.A.D.! Wait...o_O, um never mind!

I have long been fascinated by Alamo amps, and hope to pick up a good example one day...I have "Fender Tone" well-covered with my '63-reissue Vibroverb.

I also have a lo-fi oddity in a Silvertone 1483...but the whole Alamo package intrigues the heck out of me.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  9. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

"I examined the 1960 TungSol 6v6’s and the rectifier tubes once I removed them with the getters pre-sprung as to not add any scratches removing them. I found no getter marks/scratches on the tubes at all making me believe that I was the 1st to remove these original to the amp tubes. I also pre-sprung the getters so that when I put the tubes back in the amp, there would still be no getter scratches"

In English?

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Remember the Alamo?

11. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Wow. Incredible condition. I have an Alamo Model 3 (I think it is) with matching lap steel and an Alamo Jet which is a hybrid amp with original Jensen 1x12.
    Thanks for posting.

12. precbs62

precbs62 TDPRI Member

sorry typo in listing - the Alamo catalogue states these #2570's were made 1962-63

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 3.55.36 PM.png

13. SwampTwang

SwampTwang TDPRI Member

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

I have been trying to find one of these for years! Just beautiful! Does yours sound like the one in the YouTube clip by Trevor Boone at Emerald City Guitars?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.