1959 Warlock Les Paul reverse!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Apr 15, 2015.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

I like the natural a lot too, got to stick with the vision though. The flame is very nice I'm very happy with it.

2. joekumpan3

Thank you very much. I can't wait either!

3. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Great job on the little knot hole on the lower bout.
    BTW - it's been 85 with 85% humidity here most of the summer. Get out of the shower and start sweating.

4. joekumpan3

That's no fun. When I was in the Army in North Carolina it was like that. Yuck! It's not quite that humid here I think it's usually 50-60% or so but its always a little rainy on our side of the island. Thanks about the knot hole I'll try to camouflage it a bit when the dark lacquer goes on. I don't want to over do it though.

5. joekumpan3

I very lightly sanded the top with 320 and 400 last night just to level it a little. It's still a little soft so I will stop. I will try to put some sanding sealer on the back tonight if I can and build it up. I went through and checked the parts again. I made sure the covers still fit, put the truss rod not on, little stuff like that. I tapped the back of the neck with my thumb and the whole guitar resonates very nicely. With those pigtail inserts and studs I think the sustain should be awesome. I just sat for about a 1/2 hour air guitaring and it feels nice. Not very balanced if you sit with the waist on your right leg, but on your left leg Flying V style it's cool. I play like that sitting anyway.

6. joekumpan3

I have a little bit of qualalac sanding sealer left so I went and got more. There is a big difference in the new and old this stuff really ages and ambers fantastically. I will the old on the last coat to give it an aged depth. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. joekumpan3

It was a little cloudy this morning when I started to prep for sanding sealer and as soon as I got done it started to rain. Part way through spraying I started getting terrible blushing but I finished anyway. A couple of spots look like I sprayed white on them. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. joekumpan3

I have only vapors left in my blush eraser can, it may be enough to erase it, the stuff works very well. I need more though and they are out locally I know better than to try to order online but I gave it a shot anyway. Here is my checkout cart. image.png

9. joekumpan3

It dried much better. It still has a haze to it so when it stops raining I will put the blush eraser on it. If I run out I will try to spray it down with lacquer thinner. Btw this was sprayed with the prevel sprayer. I'm sure it was too heavy of a coat as well. I will see if I can special order some blush eraser too. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Captain Nutslot likes this.
  10. joekumpan3

It is still raining here so no finishing progress. I have all the hardware for pickups but am out of the 28 gauge wire for the coil leads it should be here in a day or two.

11. joekumpan3

Woodcraft just said the ordered blush eraser a few days ago and it will be 3-4 weeks. I had a break in the rain so I sprayed some straight thinner and it seemed to work. I will try to make the nut tonight or something. Going to have to wait for the rain to stop.

12. joekumpan3

I rough shaped a nylon 6/6 nut from a sheet I bought a while back.
    image.jpeg
    It has been raining so much that while in the shed the moisture got to the holly veneer and buckled it. I added Hyde glue with a brush and clamped it again. Bummer.i usually leave bodies in the shed for a day or two because the off gassing stinks up the house.
    image.jpeg

13. joekumpan3

I am starting to mentally prepare for my PAF pickups and sort out my parts. I have some parts that I ordered a while back. Nickel silver baseplate, 1018 slugs and screws, CAB bobbins, nice keeper bars, good wire, maple spacers I made, and some covers that I have but I can't remember if they are nickel plated or not so I ordered more. I had planned on doing alnico 3 and 5 but I can't find my alnico 5 magnets. Instead of ordering more I have 2,3 and 4's and will experiment with swapping magnets. I plan on having open coil zebras but will have the covers to try out too. I have overwound 4 and a 3 that has one coil under wound and one slightly overwound on my 58' Flying V that I made and they sound good especially middle and neck position. I want to try something different here maybe 2 and 3 or 3 and 3 or 4 and 4. image.jpeg
    I found my 28 gauge wire too.
    image.jpeg

14. joekumpan3

My winder has magnets to hold the bobbins in place. image.jpeg
    the screw bobbin holds better if I screw them all the way in and put it upside down on the single coil side. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    The slug side can go on the normal side with them pushed in flush with the bottom. image.jpeg

15. joekumpan3

I found this on Gibson's website, interesting that they give almost exact specs. Also interesting they are using stainless steel 316 slugs and screws.
    image.jpeg
    Btw the it is supposed to say neck above the middle column.

16. joekumpan3

I found this on Gibson's website, interesting that they give almost exact specs. Also interesting they are using stainless steel 416 slugs and screws.
    View attachment 373223
    Btw the it is supposed to say neck above the middle column.

17. joekumpan3

When I glued the veneer down I had to add more glue to the logo. It just keeps shrinking away before I can lacquer over it. It was still sticky after a day so I put some silica moisture absorbers inside a ziploc bag and wrapped and taped it around the headstock to try to get it to harden up. I don't want the glue under the veneer to pop back up either. Rediculous! image.jpeg

18. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Why a nylon nut?

Forgive my ignorance, I always thought a harder and denser material was better for good sustain.

19. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Tele-Meister

This guitar is going to be bada**

20. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Many '59 les Pauls used a 6/6 nylon nut. Not all nylon is created equal. 6/6 is very hard nylon and wears very well. I have made saddles from it before and it should hold up very well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.