1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

Not true. Perhaps the "coolest" and most unique steel, but not the best. Boker made a run of damascus bladed knives using that Tirpitz steel as part of the mix, but it was strictly a gimmick. The stuff doesn't have enough carbon to make a really high performance blade on its own just like gun barrel stel doesn't. I have a huge stack of steel in my shop that is better. A lot of it is brand new, but my special stash was made for GM about 15 years ago and they don't make the type in the Us any more. And the only thing that makes it more special than the other stuff that I have is that the way it is alloyed allows you to get stilla killer hamon if you are making Japanese style blades and, contrary to popular opinion, it will outperform any blade made from that other mythical steel, tamahagane.:D

2. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Just cleaned the rings a little and buffed them on a dirty buffing wheel I use for aging plastics...
    They look totally real. For the life of me... They could fool me easily...
    Only thing left is to add a special ingredient to the mix to cause them to be UV responsive so they will shine under black light... I'll get it soon and post the test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. preeb

And with the real deal PAF and cover to check the fit (and show off a little too... (-; )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A family shot

[​IMG]

4. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]
    I love it when a plan comes together...

5. Moggl

Moggl Tele-Afflicted

The steel from those sunken battleships is sought-after for a very different quality: Ships that sank before Hiroshima and Nagasaki have a notable lack of radioactive pollution, and with later events like Chernobyl etc., overall surface radioactivity has increased even more.
    This less-polluted steel is required for scientific probes and instruments where as little 'innate' radioactivity as possible is needed go get useful results. :)

6. Paradoxo

Paradoxo TDPRI Member

A+++++++++ !!!!!!!!

7. MRJ.

MRJ. Tele-Meister

You read my mind!

8. beff_jack

beff_jack TDPRI Member

Gil, you're too much!

9. helectrix

helectrix Tele-Meister

incredible, the amount of detail and effort you put in everthing you do! thx for the good pictures.

I've never read one book on guitarbuilding, it's exactly topics like these I learn from,
    keep going!

10. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I just caught up to this thread, and all I have to say is WOW!! Gil, you are the extreme GURU of guitar building, and all things related. I am very impressed with your variety of skills, and the mastery with which you pursue your endeavors.

Now here's a question: Are you also going to make your own vintage style knobs? This I have to see. Thanks for so much.

11. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

You just made that up.:D

12. preeb

Thanks mgdesigns. You're way too kind.
    Nothing much to see there... the knobs are easy to make.
    Same exact method is used for making the silicone molds but casting with transparent material + a little off white for the numbers + bronze lacquer... they can easily be oxidized as well.
    I already have a stock of knobs so no need to make more of them but when I do them I promise to post here.
    Bobbins are first priority!

13. preeb

Thanks guys!

14. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I have to admit to my eyes glazing over a few pages back when the LP experts were going on and on about pickup rings. Honestly, I thought, "just buy some nice looking rings ..." Too much obsession for me! But, now that I see those finished rings, I get it. You can just see the "realness" of the rings made with quality materials and methods compared to the cheap imitations. Nicely done, and as always, your results were worth the efforts.

As to sanding the black around the logo - I did wonder about that when you filled the space with that glob! One question though - what's the point of the holly wood when it just gets painted black? Does it present a smoother finish than the Mahogany, giving you a better smooth surface for the black?

15. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Actually true... the scientific papers are on those sites where you have to buy the article, but there are other news reports mentioning the issue.

16. preeb

TMHO, Holly, being a non porous soft wood can serve 3 purposes:

1) Truss rod nut access and logo cut outs are easy... it's almost as soft as Balsa...

2) Gives a smooth black headstock face without pore filler or sanding sealer (although the lack of sanding sealer caused the originals to flake and chip easily...)

3) Easy to thin down to 0.03" by sanding

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  17. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gil,
    This is insaine, your attention to detail is most inspiring, I'm laying awake at night second guessing everything now... Is OCD contaigous? I've got to hunt down parts, materials or I'm going to regret it later I think to myself.

18. Doubletriode

Doubletriode Tele-Meister

Ooh my God!
    What you are doing is scary :eek:
    Nothing can stop your quest for perfection!!!

I remember reading a book about tube amps a few years ago when I was into obsessive audiophilia (I still am but shhht, don't tell my wife...)
    The author was a sceptic and he argumented against the effects on sound of wire type, capacitor types, resistors composition etc...
    For him, only numbers mattered.
    His main argument was: even if there is an effect, it is so small it is inaudible.
    This argument came in over and over again about every subject he touched. The more I read, the more I felt uneasy not knowing what to think. The scientific arguments were sound but something seemed wrong.
    Suddenly I saw the light! :D
    Yes, each effect may have been too small but the sum of all those imperceptible effects was audible!!!

So, I am 100% with your obsession for detail... In the end, it matters

Just ask those Formula 1 or MotoGP engineers who spend countless hours trying to gain a few thousands of a second a lap...

I look forward for the rest of the build...

19. dynamohum

dynamohum Tele-Meister

Love those rings Gil. You make it look way too easy... They obviously look quite smooth and pristine compared to the originals. Will they fade and tarnish the same way as original cream rings? I'm looking forward to how you do the electrics. I presume you'll making your own bumblebee caps?

20. mterry72

mterry72 TDPRI Member

I know its early yet and I am loving all the detail you are putting into the les Paul but have you givin' any thought as to your next build and what it might be?

I see you have done a thread on the 56 telecaster, I am in love with the "62" double bound tele (Burst of course) I'd really like to see you give that a go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.