1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. paulskirocks

paulskirocks Tele-Holic

Excellent! A true artisan, killer tools, killer build... And, yet... I love your hi-tech safety belt, and special knotting technique!:D

2. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

A few words on the RED color..
    Got a few emails and PM's regarding this and wanted to make it public.
    When we buy any color from any manufacturer most chances are that it will differ from another manufacturer's... even if they both say Red, Cherry, Dark Red, Siena...etc.....
    They are all mixed from other basic colors in order to get a certain catalog designed color.
    Gibson probably used an off the shelf "RED" or "Cherry Red" without mixing it (just added to the brown TMHO).... but I have no idea what that color was and most chances it doesn't exist any longer... so I had to match the original color by combining basic red, some brown and little blue. I always prefer to use basic color mix in case some other "exotic" color used will be discontinued or changed.
    So... if you're trying to match that color just use your own mix and match until you get close enough to the original color.

3. preeb

Why not?!? Get the best repro set (I don't know which is best) from one of the parts dealers and do it.

4. preeb

Let me tell you a little story about this knotting technique...

I always used thick copper electrical wire for many tasks... I had a big 100 meter spool and all was OK....
    One day, last year it was, I saw a large pile of wire harness being taken out of an old elevator while they replaced the whole thing with new wires (local regulations I guess..), so I asked them if I could take it and they said... "sure... but what are you going to do with a 40 year old wire?".... that's all I needed to hear (-; I cut it into many (many many) shorter pieces in all colors and started using it... and this wire is so much better than the newer one that I hardly ever replace it... it bends over and over again but stays solid. The new one breaks after about 10 bends.... This is why PAF pickups sound so good!

5. expo

expo TDPRI Member

Whow, looking good.:D

6. paulskirocks

paulskirocks Tele-Holic

Funny story... I can relate, as I have been an electrician for 25 years, and use wire for everything... The new stuff is definitely weaker...

7. MacG

MacG TDPRI Member

You do know you´re nuts ? :lol:

I´ve never seen anyone put their OCD to such good use... Amazing work, Gil...

8. preeb

You know... the best steel available on the market today is made from recycled WWII battleships.

9. preeb

Me?!? Nuts?!? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder ?!?
    Sure!

10. MacG

MacG TDPRI Member

There are leftover steel from "Bismarck" lying around at the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg where it was built... Maybe they´ll sell you some for your pickups..

I know this because I visited the shipyard. I was "built" there too.. My father was a sailor. ;)

11. preeb

LOL... Yeah! why not.

"Bismarck Pickups" Tone To Die For...

but then I'll have to figure out how to mold all the rods, cut the screws and slugs, punch the base and cast the keeper.... I think we had just about enough manufacturing for one thread... (-;

12. mterry72

mterry72 TDPRI Member

Can I get a copy of your project plan for this build? :D

Requested for all of us that visit this thread like every few minutes. ;)

13. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Tele-Holic

Gil, seriously, it's an honor & a privilege to be able to watch over your shoulder like this.

Shabat Shalom.

14. preeb

This thread *IS* the project plan....
    the only difference is that I already know what's to come (-;

15. preeb

No... You are not just watching... you are participating.

Shabat Shalom.

16. preeb

BTW oigun, I used to mix my own pore fillers from pumice, linseed oil, mineral spirits and lacquer and it was the best filler I have ever used but I can't get super fine pumice (FFFF) powder locally any more... Do you use it yourself?

17. oigun

oigun Tele-Afflicted

I restore antique furniture and have to do some french polishing now and then. I use pumice and (boiled) lindseedoil for filling. When the pores are small I use only shellac and pumice it works a bit faster. I had bought a pound several years ago and have still something left. I don't know if my local seller has it nowadays... Do you need some? I don't know if the customs will let a package of white powder from holland pass:D

18. Paradoxo

Paradoxo TDPRI Member

Gil again - congrats!!! Awesome work!!!!

I'm very glad that the rings worked out so great - now you can start the mass production and sell a pair for serveral hundred bucks...... ;)

bye

19. rstevenson

rstevenson TDPRI Member

I recall reading many years ago about old methods for mahogany pore filling in English and other continental furniture shops. They used "grinders" -- red brick dust -- which ground down the wood fibres a little while it was being pushed around on the surface, so the pores filled up with red brick dust and wood fibres, held in place by oil and shellac. Labour intensive, but I'm told the result was spectacular.

Rob

20. dynamohum

dynamohum Tele-Meister

That thought crossed my mind too. If we see a flood of "OTP" (Pond = Mediterranean in this case) rings we'll know who the source was :). Thankfully, I think Gil is a lot more pukka than that. He'll sell at cost + 100%. Kill that particular market stone-dead :cool:.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.