1959 Les Paul Build

Mark Grant

Tele-Afflicted
Just want to thank you for all the knowledge shared here Gil. I stumbled upon this thread and gleaned so much information. My version of pore filler is inspired by yours. Works so well. Like you say, no shrinkage! The aniline dye & shellac bursts are my favorite. Figured you should see what you've helped inspire. Here are 2 sister guitars with tops reclaimed from a 1939 Hammond BC. Maple harvested nearly 100 years ago. I heavily faded the Retrograde's burst and smoked the Terraplane w/ a bit of fading. I hope your well Gil! I miss corresponding with you!

IMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6164.JPG
IMG_6132.JPG

Sterling Sound

Tele-Meister
Yeah, as mentioned it has been mistakenly "staged" in that photo. I used oil soluble blue and brown but not sure it is called "royal blue", think it is called Antwerp or some other European city name.
My canned cherry powder is already mixed with the blue and brown (very little needed) and I misplaced the blue can... I can look for it but see if it is Antwerp first.
If you are using darker Mahogany skip the brown. My preferred Mahogany is very light in weight and therefore in color as well which gives strikingly beautiful 3D finish on the back but needs a little darkening as you can see in the posted photos above.
BTW.. unless you are doing a 100% accurate repro of a late 50's LP there's really no need for the oil soluble blue.. just use any colorfast blue like StewMac.. etc.. same exact result since the filler doesn't fade much.

Could it be Hague Blue or "The Hague Blue"? Thats a known color.. and it's beautiful (on my walls).

matt310

NEW MEMBER!
Absolutely wonderful topic. I have read the 50 first pages for yet, your job is amazing.

I have done a lefty LP, but it’s only amateur job, based on a good LP kit (only flamed maple top one piece mahogany body, undrilled, and one piece mahogany neck with ebony unfretted fretboard.

Result :
le-coin-du-bricoleur-ffvv-381706.jpeg

le-coin-du-bricoleur-cclglg-381706.jpeg

Mars Hall

TDPRI Member
The one time I played a 1960 Burst, it wasn’t plugged in and it was a very brief moment. However, I’ve had the opportunity of playing several 50’s Goldtops, along with countless Historic offerings from Gibson. All very good guitars. I’ve got to say that my recently acquired Yaron9 is absolutely the best Les Paul guitar I’ve ever played.

Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted a Tiger Striped 1959 Sunburst Les Paul. I’d like to thank Gil Yaron for making it possible and saving me a cool quarter of a million dollars to boot! Your dedication to making only exceptional sounding and beautiful guitars is unmatched, IMHO.

Attachments

• 260FEAD4-A1F2-4E65-AFC8-7675051D4281.jpeg
    260FEAD4-A1F2-4E65-AFC8-7675051D4281.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 432
  • 467F829C-3A84-4BFF-A005-A5D57B03750B.jpeg
    467F829C-3A84-4BFF-A005-A5D57B03750B.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 0D7F9A67-B409-4B27-8AEE-45DD55A1A03F.jpeg
    0D7F9A67-B409-4B27-8AEE-45DD55A1A03F.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 449

Mxk116

TDPRI Member
Congrats on your new guitar. Beautiful!

Would enjoy seeing a photo of the back of the instrument.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The one time I played a 1960 Burst, it wasn’t plugged in and it was a very brief moment. However, I’ve had the opportunity of playing several 50’s Goldtops, along with countless Historic offerings from Gibson. All very good guitars. I’ve got to say that my recently acquired Yaron9 is absolutely the best Les Paul guitar I’ve ever played.

Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted a Tiger Striped 1959 Sunburst Les Paul. I’d like to thank Gil Yaron for making it possible and saving me a cool quarter of a million dollars to boot! Your dedication to making only exceptional sounding and beautiful guitars is unmatched, IMHO.
I wonder if you're thinkin' that this beauty deserves it's own thread, but the Telecaster guys might not want that...

You sir, would be incorrect on that last part. Start a thread, and we'll forgive you :D

awasson

Poster Extraordinaire

That's a beauty.

This specific discussion build thread is the whole reason I joined this TDPRI website. I caught wind of it a little late and I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss out on any of Gil’s updates. I’m with @moosie about starting your own discussion thread and pictorial for that guitar. I’d like to hear all about it.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That's a beauty.

This specific discussion build thread is the whole reason I joined this TDPRI website. I caught wind of it a little late and I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss out on any of Gil’s updates. I’m with @moosie about starting your own discussion thread and pictorial for that guitar. I’d like to hear all about it.
Yeah, I found this thread pretty late, and it was like Christmas and my birthday all at once. Can you say "binge"?

Then I realized Gil had a bunch of other builds on here...

Mars Hall

TDPRI Member
Having already purchased it, I found this thread a week or so previous to receiving my guitar. I consumed this thread as if every photo and comment was my guitar! It was like watching it being built. The timing couldn’t have been better. After learning the passion and positive energy that gets put into each build, it gives me a huge respect for the man.

The guitar, among my friends is affectionately known as Gilly. I will post some more photos, possibly in another thread here, when I get some good daylight. Thanks for all the kind replies.

DrASATele

Poster Extraordinaire
Is it Gil's B-Day?
Happy B-Day Gill Thanks for the countless hours of inspiration. All your threads are so rich with passion and knowledge. I hope you have a great one.

awasson

Poster Extraordinaire
Ha... I knew it! The other day when this thread woke up again, I had two thoughts...

1) what a great thread this is.

2) Gil’s Birthday is sometime around about now.

Happy Birthday Gil and thanks for this and your other guitar build, discussion and sandwich making threads. I hope you have a great day and another year coming up!

awasson

Poster Extraordinaire
Just finished this incredible thread and want to say again thanks to Gil for sharing his knowledge!
Ha! What timing! I haven't seen a post on this thread for a while but I just referenced Gil's awesome Les Paul's in an unrelated discussion this morning.

What an amazing journey this thread is. It encouraged me to actually make a working guitar. Until then, I had a couple of guitar shaped things that were not instruments but after reading it, all of it a few years ago, I built an electric. Nothing as complex as a Les Paul but it's a start.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
This thread has been the death of me. Er, I mean, it's what inspired me to put my wood shop together. My wife is thrilled.

And yes, I read this whole thread, up to near the end, anyway. And several of Gil's Fender replica build threads, too. Amazing work.