1959 Les Paul Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by preeb, Jan 14, 2010.

1. preeb

preeb Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Thank you so much.

2. preeb

Thanks for the kind words Pete, but don't be shy and please stay with us here on TDPRI (-;

3. petethorn

petethorn TDPRI Member

I will! I've been using the guitar at rehearsals for a short Melissa Erheridge tour that starts next week-

So nice to have a LP that isn't tonally worlds apart from a great tele or strat! As in, I can play clean with this guitar- it's not just all mids, and it doesn't drive a clean amp too hard. Just perfect! So I'm using it on a lot of songs I might have used a strat or tele on before. Really cool. Everyone loves it, they all are tripping on the look and the tones.

Thanks again Gil! Looking forward to gigging with the guitar!

4. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

She's not as good as Tall Melissa Etheridge but keep your chin up! :lol: (of course I'm kidding, but one must SAY they are kidding in this day and age :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I read the back and forth over at the other forum and have to make a comment. This comment isn't strictly about Gil, the other guy or even guitars in particular, it's mostly about internet forums.

I'm sure most if not all of us have noticed that a certain kind of bully mentality and mob rule develops on forums and shows in cases like this one. A guy who has been around for a few years (maybe one of the earliest members) and has a post count up in the 1,000s will win the arguments (seemingly) because he gets the support of other, less senior members of the forum. Notice over there that a guy who had only a couple of posts on the forum was trashed by a longer term user just a few posts after Gil's explanation. So there is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about: No matter what point or argument that "newbie" brought up, to the "old hand" it wasn't worth considering.

I have experienced this kind of rudeness myself and others here have also, no doubt, although I must say that TDPRI has not been one of those places.

The sad fact is there are a lot of low character people out there and the anonymity of an internet forum certainly won't elevate that low character, it only gives them a place to hide as they sling their mudballs at you. And in some cases, the poor behavior is only egged on by other senior members who feel an obligation to defend or side with a long term "friend". But the other guy seems to have no support because newer members don't want to also face the future scorn of the "popular" guys who have been around.

Sometimes it can seem like we do "know" each other, but we actually don't. It's the nature of this internet thing after all. For instance, I don't know the other guy from the other forum, and in fact I don't know Gil personally. But weighing the facts of the case, and factoring in how I have been treated by Gil here, and having never heard a single bad thing about him until now, I am at ease in supporting Gil. The other guy exhibits childish and insulting behavior and Gil only defends himself after a lot of pushing. When we look at things honestly and without bias, it becomes more obvious who is right, no matter how many supporters he has. Of course, Gil has many supporters here and I'm sure on other forums, and I've never read a disparaging comment on one of his threads. His reputation is deserved.

I guess what I'm saying is Gil, I feel your pain to some degree and don't be discouraged.

5. dennyman

dennyman Tele-Meister

Wow, some of those other forum posts are downright wicked. I guess it's a click/forum thing and they don't know of Gil like we do here on the TGF. I read posts pretty regularly here but don't post that often. But I would trust Gil (and Cliff) to do the right thing (i.e. getting me another guitar or a full refund via insurance) if that was my guitar and the headstock was broken in shipment to me.

But hey, if i ship the guitar somewhere else w/o knowing it's condition, and w/o fully insuring the guitar, wouldn't the onus be on me? I believe no one would go to the lengths Gil does in building a guitar, sharing his knowledge on the forum and would then turn around and screw a customer that's well-known on several forums. As far as I'm concerned, Gil remains one of the good guys.

6. preeb

Sounds good Pete. It would be nice to know how it worked on stage for you.
    Things may get very different when taking a guitar from a home situation to a large stage. The overall experience is totally different and I know that some basses I loved playing at home didn't quite do it for me on stage and the other way around. It would be awesome to see clips of your coming tour...
    Ask the photographer for some serious close-ups (-;

7. mattpeyton

mattpeyton TDPRI Member

Pete and Gil.... happy to volunteer to do a set of burst centric photos should the tour come east see http://www.peyton.com. My fee would be saying hello and maybe a snack.

8. preeb

Thanks Greg (-;
    All true.
    No discouragement on my part. Some things.. we just have no control over, but the truth always floats eventually. Water under the bridge... or .. the dogs bark, but the caravan goes on (-;

9. preeb

Ahmm... you should talk to Pete about this (-;
    Your work is awesome Matt.

10. mattpeyton

mattpeyton TDPRI Member

Thanks! Just glad to be anywhere, really :D Looks like I live right between July 13 and July 15. If I can be helpful, happy to step up!

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Hey Gil, hope all is well.

The shorter bit appears to have a Derlin sleeve on it. Do you install that sleeve on the longer bit and use it as a bearing to follow the template? I've searched online but haven't found anything like that.

[​IMG]

12. preeb

All is well, thanks!
    The sleeve holds the bearing in place instead of using a locking nut.
    I got this from Stewmac about 25 years ago (-;
    This is an old photo from the early pages of this thread. I use the pin router for all those operations now.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  13. JonS

JonS NEW MEMBER!

Hi, here is my last project [​IMG] (Slaid) this guitar ( AttAck ) made in Latvia.

14. matte

matte TDPRI Member

gil is an extraordinary human doing extraordinary work.

i feel so blessed to be able to rely on his guitars daily, in service of my work, as a recording musician.

absolutely intoxicating instruments.

15. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

A bit late but I would have loved to see you make a video like this for that yo-yo, but you have to wear your flip flops :p

16. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I'm just catching up here. I read the drivel on the other forum until I couldn't stand it any more.

To Gil I would like to say don't worry about it, but I know things like that are hard to ignore. It was glaringly obvious which posters there had common sense and which were total idiots.

To the people here at TDPRI I'd like to say thank you for not being anything like the fools on that other forum (I mean the idiots of course)

And just a mental note to myself - never read that other forum again.........it made my head hurt.

Carry on Gil, you're doing a heck of a job. Integrity is still important and you are full of it. (Wow, that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean :rolleyes:)

17. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I just read the entire thread over there and I am in shock. What a sad world we live in folks. No matter what Gil said some still didn't want to believe or listen and he still gets made out to be the bad guy. Gil, I've been following all of your threads and you are a very kind and honorable person. I'm sure most of those guys haven't even looked at any of your build threads and what you've so kindly contributed to the builder community. As you can see everyone here is behind you.

18. preeb

Thank you Matte.
    and WELCOME to the best forum!

19. Fretnot

Fretnot TDPRI Member

I got blasted for defending Gil. So be it. Gil's guitars are the bees knees, and he's an even better person.

20. dazza027

dazza027 NEW MEMBER!

Gil, I've sat here for 2 days and read about 90% of all the posts in this thread and I feel I have enough of a grasp of your character to tell who is the one in the wrong in this matter... I've seen Gibson's packaged in gig bags and cardboard boxes. A hard case is a hard case, be it $100 or $1000 in my eyes, they're made from the same stuff typically. I just wish I had $11k to drop on one of you're masterpieces. A true master and a gentleman. (I joined this forum purely because of this thread, its world renowned).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.