1959 Les Paul Build

Scooby Snax

Friend of Leo's
I'm jealous.

My Dad, (a Dane, so the English is more literal in pronunciation) Was talking about YawSemMight, We couldnt figure out what the hell he was talking about... finally he mentioned Old Faithful, and we realized he was trying to to say Yosemite. The only thing that is funnier is his attempt at French last names...

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
I'm jealous.

My Dad, (a Dane, so the English is more literal in pronunciation) Was talking about YawSemMight, We couldnt figure out what the hell he was talking about... finally he mentioned Old Faithful, and we realized he was trying to to say Yosemite. The only thing that is funnier is his attempt at French last names...

I believe old faithful is in Yellowstone not Yosemite.
Funny thing is that I also get confused and switch between them... must be something with the "Y" (-;

Revv23

Friend of Leo's
goldguitarguy said:
Hey Preeb just wondering what size of bit was used on the round over for the body??I'm doing a flying V,and I imagine they're the same radius

I want to say it's 3/16. But I'm just guessing. Mylespaul forums have tons of build threads that probably have the answer.

Hodgecraft

TDPRI Member
Preep, this thread is both inspiring and demotivational, how can a mere mortal like myself ever hope to build guitars at the quality of yours?! Fantastic build though, you sir, are a God amongst men.

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Preep, this thread is both inspiring and demotivational, how can a mere mortal like myself ever hope to build guitars at the quality of yours?! Fantastic build though, you sir, are a God amongst men.

This thread is meant to motivate and not the other way around... and believe me... I'm also very mortal. Anyway, thanks for the kind words, even if they are a bit exaggerated (-;

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Gil, is there a way we Historic Goldtop owners can achieve that rich vintage greenish gold without a refin?

Sure. You sell it and buy an original (-;
Just kidding...
I don't know any other way except for a total refin to achieve that rich gold color but I guess one could over spray additional coat of gold + clear over the existing finish like seen on some of the originals.

aside

TDPRI Member
Hey Gil - could you please post some pics of that Brokburst looking build? Looks awesome, another masterpiece ;)

aikiguy

Tele-Meister
It depends......

Just for my info - do you know what kind of wood is under the original Gold Top 57-58's? I had one of those '58's (grew legs and walked away 30 years ago), and the re-issue 2001 is as heavy, but I am still cuious if it's a flame maple or just plain maple under the paint.

And Preeb - Again Shalom - and thanks for another epic build. You are truly the master. Do you need an old man (mensch) to help sweep up the shop?

Most of them had maple top caps, but not all of them. The ones that I have seen, seem to not be flame maple, just straight grained nice maple. (Most of them that have been actually played are showing through in spots, or in scratches or dings...)

I have seen a 1957 gold top, where the finish was removed by the 2nd owner and varnished. On that particular guitar there was no Maple Cap at all. Talked to Gibson and they said that it was very rare, but that it did happen. Also that guitar is a one piece body.

The guitar sounded wonderful to my ears, I may try and post some uncompressed audio of that guitar and a photo or two. I just have to locate the recordings I did of it... That may take a while...

Guy
:)

preeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Vendor Member
Hey Gil - could you please post some pics of that Brokburst looking build? Looks awesome, another masterpiece ;)

Sorry, I didn't take a lot of photos of that one except for the ones posted.
You may want to ask the owner to post some nice hi-res shots.

edited...

I found a few... not great quality photos but better than non

IMG_1939-1.jpg

IMG_1938-1.jpg

IMG_1937-1.jpg

IMG_1936-1.jpg

IMG_1935-1.jpg

IMG_1933-1.jpg

IMG_1932-1.jpg

IMG_1930-1.jpg

IMG_1929-1.jpg

IMG_1928-1.jpg